It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35 Vertical Landings in doubt for UK Airshows

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

There are new threats coming out that the legacy fleet are helpless against. Even the F-22 can have problems against them. It's no longer a matter of replacing the fleet because of age, as it's a matter of doing it to keep the fleet alive.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
in my opinion the JSF35 was a dog.
it should never have won the contract.

the first flight test, before contract was awarded, boeing flew the X-32 to the test, performed all flights, and flew home.

the mcdonnell douglas plane, was driven in via flatbed truck, was not even taken off the truck.

how did boeing not get the contract??

the X-32 was a superior platform, and should have been the JSF of choice.

JSFX-32

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

The F-22 Raptor has superior agility over the YF-23. I think it is a better all round air superiority fighter but the YF-23 was a superb design and the F-22 only just won.
I agree maybe they should've navalized the F-22 and forgot about the F-35 and the VTOL all together. A bit late now.

The JSF F-35 design is a compromise in the areas of flight performance, range and payload and the design concept is a departure from traditional fighter design. It is a bit of a gamble and the jury is still out on whether this design philosophy will be successful. I think it will do the job but it will never be an air to air king like the F-22. It can fill the role of the F-16 and F/A-18 quite well I think.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: okamitengu

This (from the wiki article):

Edit

Due to the heavy delta wing design of the prototypes, Boeing demonstrated STOVL and supersonic flight in separate configurations, with the STOVL configuration requiring that some parts be removed from the fighter. The company promised that their conventional tail design for production models would not require separate configurations.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: smurfy

No, because it's having upgrades done already. They were programmed into the development schedule.

That's like I said, plug and play, and yes, the upgrades are being done, but last I heard the upgrades are two years long in script as from now, aka 2016? Can you see the dilemma especially now. You started a good thread here, I said so earlier, now you are going another place.
IMHO, the F35 is a beautiful aircraft, but it is seriously flawed.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

It is seriously flawed, but knowing what I know about what's out there, it's also desperately needed, which is the problem.

Right now, the conventional fleet could be wiped out, and never even see it coming. And in a few more years, even the F-22 will be in serious danger. None of the required sensors can be retrofitted to an existing craft, and to start over means completely surrendering air superiority, and having to give it up for probably at least one or two generations.

The F-35 isn't the perfect solution, but it's the best we have, and the only one that will see the light of day in time.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

originally posted by: boomer135
We may not like it but we need it. We absolutely have to replace our fleet of outdated fighters. They won't last too much longer.

Tbh the the whole thing stinks f

The YF-23 should have won the contract over the F-22

And the JSF program should have been canned and the F-22 used instead of the F-35 with naval variants

Just a little more thinking, common sense and communication would have save a #load of money and time, not to mention been a way more capable formidable airforce

Oh well I guess the F-35 will need baby sitting as soon as TSHTF

The yf-23 went on to bigger and better things...and we still need to keep in mind the cost of the raptor as its still way more expensive than the JSF.

People aren't giving the F-35 the credit it deserves because they aren't releasing everything it can do to the public. Give it time and it will be a badass airplane.

And the X-32? Have you even seen that ugly monstrosity? :lol

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

The F-35 isn't the perfect solution, but it's the best we have, and the only one that will see the light of day in time.

Maybe, but eventually without the monkeys ass, that's evolution for you

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   

There are new threats coming out

Part of the T-50 platform? or another unannounced one?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I'm still hoping for a hover while in flight. Just to see that I'll be happy with. You've just reminded me I need to buy my tickets for an airshow over here.

Off topic Zaph, I'm a member of an RAF fairford fbook page. There's discussion of when the US will announce what aircraft of theirs are flying at the air show. I understand there have been budget cuts etc but what would be the chances of seeing a b1 or a 52 either on static or flying

I also understand there are eight 52s and a few tankers meant to be arriving at fairford at the beginning of June

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and being the only girl chipping in here, I am not going to pretend to understand all the technology stuff you guys are discussing.

However, being the age I am, I am going to defend the Harrier, Jaguar and Typhoon. Call me old fashioned

Also, just thinking left field, outside the box, I do understand the techy bit about the VTAL and the on going problems with the F35......and maybe to demonstrate that at a Brit air show would get just a few Brits miffed, as the older generation like myself, are still in consternation that we have aircraft carriers....but no planes, of which the Harrier played a big part in our sea to air defences. It's difficult to explain what I mean, but hopefully somebody gets the gist of what I'm trying to say in my non-techy speak. OK, if you leave out the techy stuff, I'm seeing it from a political/psychological point of view given the 'celebrations' that will be going on this year.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: solidshot

New weapons related to the T-50 program.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Almost certainly at least one if not both will be there.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   

We may not like it but we need it. We absolutely have to replace our fleet of outdated fighters. They won't last too much longer.

Wake up, read and understand news reports. We have the triangles as the replacement craft for a whole list of equipment from the space shuttle to fighters to bombers to cargo and passenger craft.

Of course, if you want to insist that triangles don't exist (or are entirely alien craft) then there definite is a problem in our abilities to develop advanced modes of movement through the air. So what is it, do you constantly ignore the evidence for the existence of triangles and continue to believe the official line that the F-35 and the F-22 are our best genuine efforts or would you want to get serious in your examination of everyday reality? How many triangle must be reported and photographed before they are accepted as legitimate?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Where can I find pictures if these triangles

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
In reference to the F-35, Spain cancels it's order.

www.defense-aerospace.com...
edit on 29-5-2014 by solidshot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
I'm still hoping for a hover while in flight. Just to see that I'll be happy with. You've just reminded me I need to buy my tickets for an airshow over here.

Here's the F35,

And the X35A,

Then there is the bad news, look at the aircraft videos first then you will know that what the man is talking about makes sense.

edit on 29-5-2014 by smurfy because: Video.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Wake up, read and understand news reports. We have the triangles as the replacement craft for a whole list of equipment from the space shuttle to fighters to bombers to cargo and passenger craft.

Of course, if you want to insist that triangles don't exist (or are entirely alien craft) then there definite is a problem in our abilities to develop advanced modes of movement through the air. So what is it, do you constantly ignore the evidence for the existence of triangles and continue to believe the official line that the F-35 and the F-22 are our best genuine efforts or would you want to get serious in your examination of everyday reality? How many triangle must be reported and photographed before they are accepted as legitimate?

So your telling me that the giant triangles that have been sighted all over the world are a replacement for everything in our fleet? How is a plane that big going to take the role of a fighter? Why are we still spending billions developing six gen fighter technology?

I'm not denying the existence of large triangular aircraft but they are not multi purpose like you claim. They were built for a specific reason, just like the f-22 and f-35 were built for a specific purpose. I don't need news reports. I've seen some of these aircraft up close and personal.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join