It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No wonder food is so expensive!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I was having a discussion with an acquaintance of mine who drives road trains between Adelaide and Perth, a round trip of about 6000kms.

A recent trip he did was a load of frozen chickens from Adelaide.

On the return trip his load was...frozen chickens...from a different company.

He says this sort of thing happens quite a bit.

It hurts my brains!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

Yep and I'm guessing that is probably not just an issue in Australia. If one thinks about it, when you have national grocery chains, they have a tendency of making contracts to sell different producers wares on their shelves. This basically means that, instead of using local sources, they may acquire their products from regional center that require additional transit. While some things wouldn't be as affected in cost due to the agreements being for the lowest price point (no branding), other things may be acquired for the brand recognition and the additional transportation cost would be offset to the consumer.

In the US, increased gas prices (increased transportation costs) and drought are probably additional factors.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

One of the u.k s major supermarket's get's its chickens flown in from Thialand 100s% profit

your friend does he have the name s--- gr--t i know someone who does a roadtrain job over there not seen him in ages

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I live near a small rail yard where around 60 trains pass thru each day.
I see full coal trains heading in both directions. West Virginia coal going west and Wyoming coal Going east.
The epa regulates sulfer output of power plants so all they do is spread the poison around causing more pollution.
Does that make sense?

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I don't understand why most things aren't local. It would be way cheaper....oh, there's the answer I guess. That and Wall Street speculators. Then you have everybody else trying to cash in. It's a free-for-all and it has hurt humanity.

new topics

top topics

join