It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Biscuit's - Atheism does not make you clever

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Oh the irony....a guy writes a blog, trying to show how clever he is by telling others that they are not clever.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

It's a forum post.

And I highly recommend you actually read it.
You just might agree.

And to give you a little context, I am an atheist.
edit on 28-5-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I came here preparing myself like trying to get through the middle of a food fight. Arms up, guarded at the back and forth I was going to see.

I am not against someone being an Atheist... I don't understand it personally, but that's their choice. Some of my closest friends are, and we get on great! Like the passage said, personal beliefs are just that, personal.

However, I will go on record and say this. For the years I've been on this site I've come across just as many arrogant and disrespectful atheists as I have understanding atheists. It seems these days you can't click on a topic that has ANYTHING to do with religion/faith without seeing the good old atheists, with their pockets full of science rocks, ready to throw them at people.

I'm ALL for debate but more often than not I've seen it get nasty. Like, underlying spite and the aim being to patronise anyone who chooses to have faith. Something Atheists can't understand or test - therefore it's utter garbage. And I know I'll probably get some people coming at me like a bull at a red flag by posting this - But from my experience, It's what I have seen and it gets me a little annoyed.

Now, I'm not saying that those who "believe" don't throw their (insert holy book here) at Atheists... They do. But 9 times out of 10 its those who don't believe that will try and belittle those who do. Regardless of how obvious they try and make it.

I'm a believer, but I'm not closed minded. That's the problem those with faith have, we're often deemed closed minded because we chose to believe in something Science can't prove/understand. But yet, the more I speak to people on here the more I see how closed minded "atheists" are - they are often unwilling to even give anything but their almighty "SCIENCE" another look.

Maybe if start to think - Maybe both sides have merit and truth - we'd all get along a little better. But it's a two way street.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MrConspiracy

I don't think it's so much that both our sides have merit or truth.
A point maybe.
I think it's pretty much the commonality that we're all just stumbling around in the dark.
Whether we are prepared to admit to it or not.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

It's a forum post.

And I highly recommend you actually read it.
You just might agree.

And to give you a little context, I am an atheist.
I read it. Did you write it? If not, you dont have to defend yourself, as I said nothing about you

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I don't think it's so much that both our sides have merit or truth.
A point maybe.
I think it's pretty much the commonality that we're all just stumbling around in the dark.
Whether we are prepared to admit to it or not.

I'll admit we really have no idea what's going on. But it doesn't rock my faith - it strengthens it. If there was nothing after this life I don't think it'd be something we'd question - We'd just know.

But you're right, WHAT is going on, nobody truly knows.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
I read it. Did you write it? If not, you dont have to defend yourself, as I said nothing about you

Not defending.
Merely pointing out.

Not calling you a liar.
But, my thinking is if someone read it.
They would reference more than just the name of the work.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Why would we just know?

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

Not defending.
Merely pointing out.

Not calling you a liar.
But, my thinking is if someone read it.
They would reference more than just the name of the work.
Really? SO noticing that this person immediately takes the steps in his blog to try and sway the reader in thinking he is smarter than most by claiming a 155 iq (which, really, isnt that high), then telling the reader how unclever they are means I didnt read it?

Sorry, the blog isnt that interesting. The only interesting thing about it, to me, is the psychology of someone who writes such things.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Ok.
You read the first paragraph or two.
Stopped.
Then referenced the name.
I correct myself.

Again, it's a forum post, not a blog.
Sorry but I have a thing for accuracy.
edit on 28-5-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

We wouldn't be asking WHAT happens if nothing happens?

I just can't see how nothing is a possibility. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's just me

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Ok.
You read the first paragraph or two.
Then referenced the name.
I correct myself.

Again, it's a forum post, not a blog.
Sorry but I have a thing for accuracy.

A blog (a truncation of the expression web log)[1] is a discussion or informational site published on the World Wide Web and consisting of discrete entries ("posts")

The rise of Twitter and other "microblogging" systems helps integrate MABs and single-author blogs into societal newstreams. Blog can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.

Forums posts can be blogs as well, but really, your trying to strip the conversation of the topic and breaking it down to semantics tells me a lot.

That said, you are so stuck on the (false ) idea that I didnt read it that you are missing my point. Either that, or you are intentionally deflecting.

For the record, I didnt reference the name once. (that thing for accuracy isnt serving too well).
edit on 28-5-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrConspiracy

I'm a believer, but I'm not closed minded. That's the problem those with faith have, we're often deemed closed minded because we chose to believe in something Science can't prove/understand. But yet, the more I speak to people on here the more I see how closed minded "atheists" are - they are often unwilling to even give anything but their almighty "SCIENCE" another look.

Maybe if start to think - Maybe both sides have merit and truth - we'd all get along a little better. But it's a two way street.

Hi, well this will be my first post ever.

As a lifelong atheist, with a deeply Evangelical fianceé, I can certainly understand your position. I'll tell you this though, from my own personal point of view:

When believers/theist/christians (whatever you want to name them) tell me that I'm close minded because I don't take another look to any other beliefs...i think what they expect is for me to accept their beliefs as mine. Like having a strange "oh, but of course, since I saw it with an open mind it is clearly correct and true. You were right all along!"

Again, this is just taken from my own personal experiences. I think I'm a fairly open minded person, I stay away from petty and personal attacks when discussing religion/politics/sports, and I'm always questioning my own way of thinking, trying to make sense of my train of thoughts.

To come back to the topic at hand, I actually really llike Total Biscuit. he strikes me as an honest and sincere guy, and I love the fact he really doesn't hide the fact he's being a hypocrit, nor that he lacks a conclusion. He's just venting, as he readily states at the end.

And so I am, I guess. I'll see where this-posting on ats-goes.

Cheers.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Telos
Maybe atheism doesn't make one cleaver but in my experience, religion for sure dumbs one down.

Well two cents of mine (bronze, not gold
)

No, actually, it doesn't.

Nor does your spelling particularly identify you as one of the "clever" ones.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Actually is the other way around, being smart makes you an atheist.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup
To be atheist is to hold the conviction that there is no God.

This logically implies that the atheist knows that the possibility that a God could exist, is entirely absent from all the observable universe.

It logically follows, then, that an atheist would have to know everything knowable about the universe, which is impossible for a human being (but is part of the definition of deity).

Therefore, to be a true atheist, one would have to be a God, which is an obvious logical contradiction.

So in reality, a better definition of a human being who believes that there is no God, is an agnostic, which means "without knowledge" in Ancient Greek (The same word in Latin is "ignoramous", but for some reason people have not chosen to call themselves that, despite Latin's closer ties to English. What a laugh!).

So, people who call themselves atheists are not identifying themselves as particularly deep thinkers. They definitely have no grasp on logic or language.

On the other side, If you go to any textbook on science or philosophy, it is likely that an investigation of those people mentioned, who have added to our knowledge (the really clever ones), will indicate that the majority had a faith in God of some sort.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: manitu69
Actually is the other way around, being smart makes you an atheist.

OK, then consider this:

I have a genius level IQ. I went to a "selective" high school for gifted students. I spent my high-school years studiously avoiding many attempts by my local Mensa chapter to get me to join. That sort of IQ.

When I was at University, I recieved public accolades for being in the top 7% of students studying Astrophysics. This was by an international organization.

On the bell-curve of clever, I'm at the thin end, on the right hand side. I just am and I know it (although, for humility's sake, I must admit to making rash decisions, being wrong sometimes and falling down when drunk, like everyone else).

I am also a Pentecostal type Christian who spends a serious portion of my week in biblical study.

Because of who I am, the circle of friends and acquaintences that I have about me are also towards the clever end, many with PhD's to show for it. The majority of them also have deep faith in God.

My experience is that people who call themselves atheists are particularly shallow thinkers, they just talk loud.

edit on 28/5/2014 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Even Stephen Hawking, eh? Or Carl Sagan? Shallow thinkers according to your experience. Or that's what I gather from your comment. That's a shame, electing a shallow thinker to assist in narrating one of the most popular, in-depth and widespread science programs since Bill Nye's show.
edit on 28-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

My problem is I'm not understanding why we wouldn't wonder if there wasn't.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoeTheJoe

originally posted by: MrConspiracy

Hi, well this will be my first post ever.

As a lifelong atheist, with a deeply Evangelical fianceé, I can certainly understand your position. I'll tell you this though, from my own personal point of view:

When believers/theist/christians (whatever you want to name them) tell me that I'm close minded because I don't take another look to any other beliefs...i think what they expect is for me to accept their beliefs as mine. Like having a strange "oh, but of course, since I saw it with an open mind it is clearly correct and true. You were right all along!"

Again, this is just taken from my own personal experiences. I think I'm a fairly open minded person, I stay away from petty and personal attacks when discussing religion/politics/sports, and I'm always questioning my own way of thinking, trying to make sense of my train of thoughts.

To come back to the topic at hand, I actually really llike Total Biscuit. he strikes me as an honest and sincere guy, and I love the fact he really doesn't hide the fact he's being a hypocrit, nor that he lacks a conclusion. He's just venting, as he readily states at the end.

And so I am, I guess. I'll see where this-posting on ats-goes.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply! And welcome to the posting side of ATS.

I agree with much of what you said. I really dislike those who don't accept Atheism. Like I said in my first post, I could care less what people choose to believe. And if someone tries to deem you closed minded for having different beliefs it can be extremely obnoxious and irritating.

I'll be the first to admit I don't understand Atheism. But I would never tell someone they were wrong and I was right - It's personal beliefs/faith. And I'd expect the same from both sides.

More often than not, however, those who choose to believe are often made to seem... backward, stupid and fearful of life after death. We're often ridiculed more so than the "science guy" right?

Enjoy posting! Most people are brilliant around here. I love a good debate!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join