It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You show me yours, and I'll show you mine.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Get your mind out of the gutter, I am talking about gardens. Here is ours this year. We got some great compost and tilled it in with the soil, then ran a soaker hose around the tops of the mounds. Then we covered it with a tarp. We planted tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. To water, all I need to do it turn on the faucet and try to remember to turn it off after a few hours. I have forgot a few times and watered all night. Since it's a soaker hose, it didn't use too much water and sure won't hurt anything. I do rinse off the plants every other day, but the majority of the watering comes from the roots.

I'd like to see/hear about other gardens to find out better ways of doing things.
Thanks.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

If you wanna see my garden.....it kicks some serious ass.
Let me take pictures and come back to this thread.

edit on 28-5-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

An ass kicking garden? I'd love to see that!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I heard when you are building the box, and before you apply compost and soil, its better to run someone sort of tubing underneath, this way, you can water the plants easily.

I told my mom about it, she thought it would be a good idea.. *just gotta hope she doesn't ask me to to do it* lol

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

I did the soaker hose, and it was really easy, and even easier to water. Being a bit lazy, I tend to look for work saving tips.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I'm building planter boxes, hanging troughs and beds out of pallets this year. It's coming out really cool. I'll post some pics after work.

Always looking for new ideas, great topic OP.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Here you go.
I live in the heart of downtown in a major city,it is what it is...I try.

My herbs.
Lemon thyme,purple basil,coriander,parsley and rosemary.

My bamboo tree.

Echinacea plant.

Some flowers.

More flowers.

Planted garlic and onions in this patch.

Enjoy and happy gardening.

edit on 28-5-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

I think per capita of space, your garden could whoop my garden.
you have done a great job with the limited space you have. I just hope your neighbors who pass by don't figure out you have fresh herbs.

Very nice.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

The way its done here is I don't mind if people take a few fresh herbs...it makes it worth planting if people like it and enjoy it,I can always plant more.
I have to put up with people letting their dogs crap on my lawn all the time (which I constantly reseed) and people acting like douchebags...as i said,it is what it is and I try not to sweat the small stuff.
I try and get better every year.

My lawn should be a golf course by July if I can help it.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

We planted tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers.

I couldn't help but chuckle! I planted cucumbers amongst my jalapeno peppers one year, and they were so hot that nobody would eat them!
Hopefully, you're talking Bell peppers?

I,too am a lazy gardener, so I now have a rain gutter garden. No weeding, no watering; all I do is harvest!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I hope the cucumbers are far enough away. We have a few hot peppers and a few bells.
If I get a hot cucumber, I will definitely let everyone know. (I hadn't thought of that)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I don't have any pics right now, maybe I'll take some tonight.

My veggie garden is huge, so I can't use tarps. But, to help hold the water, I use straw, plus it helps with the weeds. I have 26 tomato plants, and the cages don't work for me. So, a few years ago, I started buying cattle panels, which when made into an arch. Work amazing all the way around. I weave the plant through as it grows, hubby can still use the rototiller down the middle, and harvesting is easy.

I do a big garden every year, so it changes a bit every year, how I do things. And this year, with the chickens, clean up should be much easier. Just let them in to mow it down in October!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I'd love to see pics of the tomato hangars.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I am so jealous of you all. I'd love to have a garden but I have majestic and huge ancient cedar trees in my yard. The kind whose trunks are so large that, if you tried hugging them, your fingers have no hope of touching. Beautiful and fragrant but hell on any attempt of growing anything else because they are allelopathic. At least, I don't have to weed.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I bet it's beautiful and cool with all that shade.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Sorry, didn't describe properly. Not hangers. I'll take pics tonight to show you. I also have cucumber in them, to weave the vines on. They just make anything that needs support so much easier to deal with. Well, the cuc's don't need it, but at least you don't have vines all over the ground, which takes a lot of space, and makes rototilling a bugger.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I bet it's beautiful and cool with all that shade.

Yep, those are pluses, definitely, on top of a wonderful fragrance on humid summer nights. It's like living in a forest in the middle of suburbia.

Still would be nice to be able to have a small patch of garden though. lol

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Here's what I've been working on the last couple of weeks,

Everything is brand new, all made from recycled pallets I get at work and there is still a ton of work to do. By the time I'm finished with the fourth phase of my plan I will have covered the whole south wall of my garage, finished with hanging troughs and trellises. It should be a green wall of veggies by late summer if everything goes right.

This is a potato box I put together this weekend. It's deep, another twenty inches or so of soil to fill in as the plants grow. The pile of dirt next to it is my fig, and a couple shade shrubs.

Notice the giant grape vine growing across the fence.

A close up of the new potato box. I had thought I'd have enough time, but the spuds had a plan of their own to take over the whole planter they were in and had to be transplanted. They're two weeks and 15 inches already. I'm gonna call them Godzilla potatoes.

This was phase one finished last week or so.

Here is the beginning of phase 4, the garage wall which is on it's way, haven't really started phase 3 yet... More cukes, watermelon and cantaloupe.

Tomatoes hanging underneath and hot peppers up top

Here's the first cucumber trough.

Don't have pics of the herbs yet, but they're on the way...
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's pics as the summer progresses! Maybe as fall sets in we can share some recipes for canning and all that as well...

Happy gardening!

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Well, finally took a pic of the cattle panels. Been busy trying to get read for the chickens. Eventually, they will be to the right of this pic, behind and beside the pole barn.

And to Q, the poster above me: I don't know where you live, but can I borrow you?

The potato box is brilliant! Your so creative!

new topics

top topics

join