It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Author: Time to Welcome Snowden Home With Ticker Tape Parade

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
UKUSA has existed since around 1948, please.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Is it wrong to go against a corrupt government whom spies on its own and everyone else? Surely what he did was good for freedom and individuals rights...

See, that's why I"m split on this.

The part about him exposing a corrupt government and the fact that the gov't was HEAVY into spying on average Americans .. he should be applauded for exposing that. No doubt. But then he went on to expose our overseas operations and he ran off to countries that had interests counter to ours ... and that makes me doubt his intent and his integrity. I'm split on the issue of Snowden.

But I"m sure his latest 'I was an overseas spy and acted undercover' stuff ... that lit up my radar as totally bogus. His timing .. the story ... naaaah. Sounds puffed up. If any evidence comes to light that supports it, then I'll change my mind. But until then .. I'm not buying it.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Having read the article, the following can be stated:

Should the man be given a tickertape parade, no.

Did he break the law, yes. He should come home and face the music for his actions and should not be given a free pass for his actions, or allowed home until he faces a trial. The federal government is in a lose/lose situation in this case. They will have to provide him with a trial, and that trial has to be in public, before everyone. And all of the evidence has to be provided, where anyone can review it. Any secret evidence would ultimately come to light, and if it is held in secret would bias the case against him, and have the jury think and believe that the government is not telling the truth, and that is not good for a conviction.

No the man should come home to answer for his crimes, be given a chance to speak and be heard, and deal with the consequences of his actions.

Do I believe he is guilty, yes. Do I believe he is a traitor, no, of that I am quite sure, as the conditions for such charges have not been met, or proven at all by the government. And all of those in government who would use such a label need to stop, cause that is neither fair or giving the man his due.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: phinubian
a reply to: FlyersFan
I am sorry, Snowden only deserves prison, if it were anyone else they would get the same, what makes him different? to all of my fellow veterans, soldiers, civil servants and contractors who have ever held any clearance or had to face the scrutiny of any high level investigations this man is a mockery of the entire system that you do everything to secure and maintain clearance, providing travel information, personal information such as financials and everything else, avoiding being late even 30 days on debts, even reporting associations.

Snowden's entire motivation was not to do anything good for the United States, but only cause damage and erode any little trust they may have with friends or partners in the world, and also it's citizens presenting information that may have not been totally correct in the usage and context, but only based on his narrow lane of view of what that data was for.

Snowden obtained the position with premeditated goals to obfuscate and steal things from government systems and computers, to present his biased view and slant of what he interpreted from his narrow lane, what that information was being used for, it won't matter what he did whether it was to just take some of that home with him for his own use or to use it to literally attempt to somehow blackmail the American Government, foolishly present this information and negligently put foreign service assets at risk, whether it be military or non military.

No he deserves no parades, he deserves punishment my friends, he runs straight to the Russians, if he were a patriot or even had any sort of backbone he would have surrendered and agreed to be taken into custody to face the charges that await him, then let the law decide on how his crimes should be dealt with, just the way he should have attempted to go through all efforts including having secured proper legal counsel and prepared himself to wait on the legal system to present his grievance using that method, just like anyone else might do if they truly believed in doing the right thing.

He chose his method, by selfishly playing this out on the world stage and making a mockery of the United Stated Intelligence systems, by taking advantage of the trust he was granted merely to do the work as a civilian contractor, as thousands of others do every single day and are able to maintain integrity of the trust they are granted.

I noticed that there was one word you did not use in your response to the op, "honor". The honor that is granted those who've taken the oath the protect and preserve the constitution of the United States and will do so regardless of personal sacrifice.

Having top level security clearance to government programs that work to undermine the rule of law our nation was founded on by the blood of patriots, carries no honor in my book and confirms for me, just exactly how we found ourselves knee deep in the midst of big brothers over reaching activities in the first place. Because those in the know, either being to cowardly or to drunk with power didn't stop to question those with the authority to instill these programs to begin with.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
My personal opinion is that he is an extreme narcissist who craves adoration and attention. He may have exposed the darker side of our government, but I don't trust him. Ever since he originally came out, he throws things out to the press, when his name hasn't been mentioned in the news for a while. We've kind of forgotten about him lately, so .... voila, he comes out with something else. Now I think he's lying just to keep himself in the forefront. He's run out of the real stuff, so he's making stuff up. Undercover spy? In his dreams maybe.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Whether people think he is a hero or a villain, I think most here would agree that things needed to be shaken up a bit, don't you all think so as well?

I'm sure that those who feel that the status quo was alright are in the minority.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Whether people think he is a hero or a villain, I think most here would agree that things needed to be shaken up a bit, don't you all think so as well?

I'm sure that those who feel that the status quo was alright are in the minority.

Agreed.

You cant simply just go your whole life and never question all the decisions made for you. You need to feel like you can trust those people that make the big calls.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I agree would any of us not want to know what our governments are doing?.
Iam sure they are still doing nasty stuff against us all everyday but at least we got to know about it eh?.
Or would people prefer not to know and continue in ignorant bliss?.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

My father in law once said to me back during the Bush administration that he was happy he didn't know what the government was doing and thought it was for the best.

He was a military guy.

These 'good soldier' types are funny. Amazing how thorough the brainwashing is just so they can get their little merit badge.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I think it is time for the congress, president and agencies to grant him amnesty, absolve him of any crimes, and let him come home. Only condition, no more leaks, no more disclosures, no books and media interviews.

Leaving him in asylum abroad, imprisoning him, or killing him would only make him an even greater hero, and further validate everything he has claimed and disclosed... While making big brother look even more sinister to Americans and the world.

The damage is done, write it off, let him come home.

IMO

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Exactly!

Meh he may technically be a traitor and guilty of treason.

But you government itself seems to be infected with far worse traitors. And this infection stems right up into the oval office.

So really who are the government to be calling anyone traitors?

edit on 28-5-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: phinubian
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti
Never going to happen, that sets precedent for any leaker or spy to do exactly the same, therefore destroying any trust.

Boo bloody who.

Thats the danger with doing actions that are unethical or borderline illegal, Leaking is always a risk.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
Having read the article, the following can be stated:

Should the man be given a tickertape parade, no.

Did he break the law, yes. He should come home and face the music for his actions and should not be given a free pass for his actions, or allowed home until he faces a trial. The federal government is in a lose/lose situation in this case. They will have to provide him with a trial, and that trial has to be in public, before everyone. And all of the evidence has to be provided, where anyone can review it. Any secret evidence would ultimately come to light, and if it is held in secret would bias the case against him, and have the jury think and believe that the government is not telling the truth, and that is not good for a conviction.

No the man should come home to answer for his crimes, be given a chance to speak and be heard, and deal with the consequences of his actions.

Do I believe he is guilty, yes. Do I believe he is a traitor, no, of that I am quite sure, as the conditions for such charges have not been met, or proven at all by the government. And all of those in government who would use such a label need to stop, cause that is neither fair or giving the man his due.

I don't get this stupid honor things of he did the right thing but he still should go to prison.

Either he did good or not.

Sending people to prison for doing the "right thing" cause honor and law dictates is a waste of time. He may as aswell stay in Russia I know I would. Money, Vodka , women or 20 years or more in a 6x6 cell, orange jump suite, toilet moonshine and prison rape? Hello Putin, your my new best friend!!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The reason for the statements from Snowden can be found here. www.nbcnews.com...

They were made during a recent interview with Brian Williams of NBC refuting comments made by government officials who downplayed Snowdens involvement with the NSA from the very beginning. No doubt attempting to discredit his information being released. Portions of his claims have been verified.

Not to steer the subject away from the op but there are several articles written at that same location all of which relate to the subject matter on some level.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
I don't get this stupid honor things of he did the right thing but he still should go to prison.

People do incredibly stupid things for this mythical concept of 'honor.'

It's 'honor' that sends 18 year-olds off to catch bullets in the face for some politician. It's also 'honor' that gets 15 year-olds to kill each other over the placement of graphitti.

'Honor' is so #ing stupid.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere
[

'Honor' is so #ing stupid.

Exactly.

these standing up for what you believe in and doing the right thing.

And then there is being outright stupid.

Honor has a habit of being the second thing.

Snowden did the right thing. But he's not being stupid and willingly going home to face 20 to life being big big bubba's bitch.
That doing the right thing AND being smart about it.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Well that's one way to trick him into coming back. Then we can throw him in federal prison where he belongs. I say give it a try.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
The problem with the entire treason and traitor claims, is that the government has yet to meet the conditions as set out in the constitution of the USA. Of all of the crimes that were around at the time of the founding of the country, the one that was specifically put into the constitution was Treason and the grounds for proving is there. As the federal government has yet to produce at least 2 witnesses to that fact. Nor did the man launch a war against the USA, nor did he give any aid or comfort to any enemy of the USA.

What this man did, was take classified information and release it to the public, all of the public. That is not treason.

But in any case, if he does return, the government is now in a bind. It can not just have a secret trial, as then it would show that it is acting above the law, and thus cause more problems than it can not afford. Nor can they just make him disappear. Nor can it hope for a public trial, cause then all of the information would be on display for the public to see. In short the US federal government can only hope that he remains and not leave Russia, and will in time get him back when they have something that Russia has and he is no longer valuable to them.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Well that's one way to trick him into coming back. Then we can throw him in federal prison where he belongs. I say give it a try.

Well if he need to be thrown into federal prison then so does most your congress and Bush and Obama.

Do you see that that happening? No

Yeah snowden may be a traitor.

But you got worse ones to worry about and they are sitting in office!

Deal with them first. The ones sitting in the white house and capital hill will do far more damage than one sitting in some apartment in Russia!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

I totally agree that stupid things are done under the guise of "honor". But not all things.

Defending those incapable of defending themselves, caring for those less fortunate, protecting the ideals which a nation was founded on that protect the privacy of it's citizens, protecting the right to a fair trial by a jury of their piers, and protecting your rights to come here and voice any dissenting opinion you may wish to share.

These are actions worthy of the right to be called Honorable, it is not mythical, it's just that it is seldom seen in this day and age.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join