It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is evolution, not what some think

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

The one everyone thinks of when discussing Evolution in an origins & Creationism forum:

Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations. Evolutionary processes give rise to diversity at every level of biological organisation, including species, individual organisms and molecules such as DNA and proteins.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

TOE = theory of evolution....blimey Iam thick lol.
Cheers.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
You know, I was on the phone with my sister yesterday and was absolutely floored when she told me she does'nt believe that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old and its only 6,000 years old because of the whole timeline from Adam to Jesus thing in Genesis. In her eyes God made the world in 6 days end of story.

I did'nt argue with her (even though the evidence is pretty overwhelming that its not) just told her that time does not exist. Only the human perception of it exists....so how can you really tell how long a "day" is to a supposedly omnipotent being? Every plant, animal and human on this planet has the same monocellular ancestor in common.

Sorry, but that took alot longer than 7 days to go from amino acids to the great diversity of life on this planet today.

It helps to look up information on different websites that don't have an agenda to push.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
So, first non-believers are told that any interpretation of biblical passages are only valid from believers, as non-believers and their interpretation of the bible is not guided by the "holy spirit" . . . or whatever gives believers special insight into the bible.

Now . . . apparently, non-believers don't even understand what "evolution" means . . . Only the believers truly understand what is and states, even though there is no evidence for it and they don't "believe" in it.

Where would we be without the Christians to explain science to us "scientific folk" . . . Now, if we could just get them to stop worrying about science and and apply that same critical thinking to this witch and demonic possession problem, we could all live happily ever after.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
A little snippet below from the referenced site of Richard Kent. The site is worth a look. Not buying the idea that any of this is honestly mistaken. It's fine if you wish to peddle this stuff, but you have no real reason to complain if others see it as the height of ignorance.

A favourite..."if phones arose out of the primordial ooze, they still wouldn't be able to communicate, they need a specially designed sim card" = no evolution and the sky fairy made the lot in six literal days...wtf?

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cogito, Ergo Sum
A little snippet below from the referenced site of Richard Kent. The site is worth a look. Not buying the idea that any of this is honestly mistaken. It's fine if you wish to peddle this stuff, but you have no real reason to complain if others see it as the height of ignorance.

A favourite..."if phones arose out of the primordial ooze, they still wouldn't be able to communicate, they need a specially designed sim card" = no evolution and the sky fairy made the lot in six literal days...wtf?

You can't be serious....

On serious side - who said dogs changed into ducks except folks without any idea what ToE really is.

Your little trick can work with kids and those who never had any serious education...

Evolution takes time, animals don't change over day and science has good idea what changed into what and when.
edit on 28-5-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Cogito, Ergo Sum

No we shouldn't. This reasoning is flawed because it assumes that all animals on the planet are done evolving and that is their final state. That isn't true though, evolution is ALWAYS happening. EVERY animal on the planet is a transitional species. The reasoning is also assuming that evolution has some sort of plan, dog changes into duck, which isn't true either.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Your link doesn't work in the video.
Kid's are always questioning stuff...pity some people destroy their natural inquisitive mind by filling it with religion.
Heck even the kids know it is BS but just get brainwashed after week after week of being forced to church etc.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Your link doesn't work in the video.
Kid's are always questioning stuff...pity some people destroy their natural inquisitive mind by filling it with religion.
Heck even the kids know it is BS but just get brainwashed after week after week of being forced to church etc.

I fixed link. Sorry about that. Video is quite educational...

Yes, brainwashing of kids is a problem, and this is not just in Christianity... it is all religions.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Cool video btw cheers...now where is the person using the Platypus as an argument against Toe?
Yup all of them.
You know Iam very anti theist and I consider it abuse to make kids follow a religion, they should be able to make up their own minds given all the facts about every religion and any other choices.
edit on 28-5-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

LOL.

If you think I was endorsing that site, you may have misunderstood and it might be worth reading my post again.

Though it is worth a look at the site from a sociological pov. To see what some (quite a few really) actually believe on and what they base such things as in the opening post. It is very obvious such a position is based on a literal/biblical religious belief that doesn't even consider genuine science.

Yes, I'm aware of monotremes (such as the platypus) and have studied them in the wild (amateur naturalist, not professionally), as well as rescued others (Echidna) that have wandered into suburbia.

edit on 28-5-2014 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

LOL.

Yes I agree. Every living species is in transition. I have never claimed otherwise. Think you might have also misunderstood.

This is starting to feel a bit confused, like a Monty Python sketch.

edit on 28-5-2014 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it

link   
double post.

edit on 28-5-2014 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: (no reason given)

link   

I wonder what their eggs taste like....or them

I would love to eat all different kinds of animal..even panda lol.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

LOL.

Don't know, but platypus aren't easy to find. Echidnas are relatively common even in leafy outer suburbs, imagine they'd be hard to prepare though.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

These little fellas are my favourite (though not to eat lol).

I even rescued one of these once. Not usually a good move, but he seemed cooperative enough. I'm told they taste similar to chicken!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
sorry, double post again, been a long day.
edit on 28-5-2014 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

LOL

Sorry, I apparently misread your post.

And little quote from Mark Twain for our OP:

“You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, burning bushes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?”

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

LOL
Sorry, I apparently misread your post.

No problems. I can see where my post might have appeared ambiguous.

I once wrote a post in a creationist thread dripping with sarcasm (or so I thought) with the most ridiculous references to crocoducks, spontaneous generation etc. that I thought surely could never be taken seriously. Only to find post after post explaining such credulous and unbridled ignorance! lol. Trying to explain it was a mock up/joke was futile lol. At least I got to see the arguments from the creationists side!

I actually have a keen (amateur) interest in specific areas of evolution, such as elapidae (as in the brown snake - 2nd most venomous land snake on earth-in above pic) and areas of Hominid evolution.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I see, I must have misunderstood where you were coming from. My bad.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join