It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catch me if you can... The Blob...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
One of my veterinary colleagues sent this video to me last week and I thought that I would like to share this with you folks too.

Hungry little blighter isn't he?

This video is taken from a 16-mm movie made in the 1950s by the late David Rogers at Vanderbilt University.

It depicts a human polymorphonuclear leukocyte (neutrophil) on a blood film, crawling among red blood cells, notable for their dark color and principally spherical shape. The neutrophil is "chasing" Staphylococcus aureus microorganisms, added to the film before swallowing it up.

Remember the Blob?

More info here : biochemweb.org...

And just for the fun :

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 28/5/14 by Rodinus because: Blob added

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

So is the bacteria self aware, I mean is it thinking "oh crap! I'm in trouble...run away!"
Does it know it is alive and death is coming for it?
It looks to be running scared to me, but that would suggest intelligence or situational awareness.
Interesting stuff, thanks

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

So is the bacteria self aware, I mean is it thinking "oh crap! I'm in trouble...run away!"
It looks to be running scared to me, but that would suggest intelligence or situational awareness.

You can just hear the poor little critter squealing for help can't you?

But the nasty little blighter deserves it though...

Staphylococcus aureus (or Staph aureus) is a type of bacteria commonly found on the skin and hair as well as in the noses and throats of people and animals.

These bacteria are present in up to 25 percent of healthy people and are even more common among those with skin, eye, nose, or throat infections.

Staphylococcus can cause food poisoning when a food handler contaminates food and then the food is not properly refrigerated. Other sources of food contamination include the equipment and surfaces on which food is prepared. These bacteria multiply quickly at room temperature to produce a toxin that causes illness. Staphylococcus is killed by cooking and pasteurization.

More here : www.foodsafety.gov...

So... for those of you who like to rummage around in your noses and nibble on your snot... Might be an idea to think again if you are one of the 25 per cent?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus

originally posted by: weirdguy

So... for those of you who like to rummage around in your noses and nibble on your snot... Might be an idea to think again if you are one of the 25 per cent?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

"nibble on your snot".....rofl...
So, if you cook it first, you're safe? Makes me think of those snails you like to eat, lol.

(Just so you know, I'm NOT in that 25%)
Very cool video, S&F and *hugs*

jacygirl

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Hiya Jacy.

110 degrees Fahrenheit should effective enough for cooking your snot and getting rid of Staphylococcus aureus in order that you can enjoy your meal.

Please feel free to share your recipies with the rest of us?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 28/5/14 by Rodinus because: Crap quoting

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Thank you for the information.
I'm thinking about making a 'special' pie for my ex-husband.
Any suggested seasonings? I thought ear wax and belly button lint would hold it together.
Perhaps a chocolate topping made from Ex-Lax....?

Is it weird that I'm getting hungry now?

jacy

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Perhaps a chocolate topping made from Ex-Lax....?

Is it weird that I'm getting hungry now?

jacy

Ex-Lax...

Oh dear... that reminds me of a very embarrasing story that happened to me when I was 15 years old with my older sister who was always picking on me.

I will tell that story one day.

Bon appetit

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Well you know I want to hear it now!
I'm pretty sure I know how it ends...lol...

I just foraged through my kitchen and found some chocolate baking chips...they will do.
(I also found a frozen pie shell....now all I need is some belly button lint, and I'm baking a pie!)

jacy

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

Well you know I want to hear it now!
I'm pretty sure I know how it ends...lol...

I just foraged through my kitchen and found some chocolate baking chips...they will do.
(I also found a frozen pie shell....now all I need is some belly button lint, and I'm baking a pie!)

jacy

Lets say that it just had something to me having an addiction for chocolate, my sister putting a FULL bar of Ex-Lax in another wrapper and me eating the whole bar...

I had a big rugby tournament on that same week as well as some pretty important exams at school...

Was a very difficult period indeed and for 4 days I had a letter from my parents to give to each teacher excusing me if I had to run out of the classroom without any warning...

Not to say that it was not at all funny during the rugby matches either... scrum half + white shorts are not the best thing when suffering from an Ex-Lax overdose...

Enjoy the cooking...

*scratches head*... Why is it that belly button fluff is always blue?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 28/5/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

new topics

top topics

join