It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pregnant Pakistani woman stoned to death by family

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: GargIndia

You from India? You are bound to say that

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Segments from another article on CNN:

slamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- The husband of a Pakistani woman stoned to death for refusing to participate in an arranged marriage told CNN her family had demanded 100,000 rupees if the couple wanted to stay alive.

Husband Mohammad Iqbal said he didn't have the money, which equals about $1,000. Farzana Parveen, who was three months pregnant, was beaten to death with bricks Tuesday in the eastern city of Lahore by a group of about 20 people, including her brothers, father and cousin, police said.

Police are searching for the killers in this all-too-common crime. According to a report published in April by the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, 869 women in the country were victims last year in "honor killings," so named because the woman's actions are considered to have brought shame on her family.

Most honor killings occur in rural areas. Tuesday's attack was unusual because it happened in a public area of a big city.
Pregnant woman stoned by family members
Human rights activist speaks on violence

Iqbal, in an interview with CNN, said Parveen and he were supposed to marry, with the family's approval, last year. He was a widower and neighbor. As part of the arrangement, Iqbal said, he'd given Parveen's father 80,000 rupees and gold jewelry.

Last December, Parveen's mother died and her father and brothers changed their minds about the marriage, Iqbal said.

The family decided Parveen, 25, who came from a village in Punjab, should marry a cousin, police said.

The marriage enraged her family, Iqbal said, and they demanded he pay them 100,000 rupees to let the couple stay alive.

Iqbal, a farmer in the village in Jurranwala, Punjab, didn't have the money.

The family had challenged Parveen's marriage to Iqbal in the courts, accusing him of abducting her.

The attack took place Tuesday as she was on her way from her lawyer's office to the high court in Lahore, where she was expected to make a declaration that she had married Iqbal of her own volition.

One family member made a noose of rough cloth around her neck while her brothers smashed bricks into her skull, said Mushtaq Ahmed, a police official, citing the preliminary report on the killing.

Police said they had arrested Parveen's father, whose name they gave only as Azeem. They said he had admitted to the killing and expressed no regret.

Senior Police officer Umar Cheema told CNN police are conducting raids in areas near the village to find the killers.

Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has requested Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif submit a report on this incident.

Iqbal said nobody helped when the stoning began. People just stood around and watched.

Farzana Bari, a human rights activist based in Islamabad, said in many cases people outside the family don't step in to protect the victim "because it's a private matter."

Bari said the number of honor killings is probably much higher than studies show because many families don't report the killings.

The killers often avoid prosecution, Bari said.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: lambs to lions

How do you not see the difference, your propaganda is wearing thin.

It is not propaganda if its true. I see it clearly because i lack a bias to American culture or Rural Pakistani culture.

You on the other hand is saturated with one culture to see how another culture is developed.

It's ok, its easy to dismiss and look over bad of one culture and exaggerated another culture.

That is just your human tribe mentality. i probably have a better understanding here, since im nor emotionally or racially associated with either.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

So basically, daddy blackmailed them for money, with death as the penalty for non-payment, then he made good on that threat. The family here are nothing more than pond scum, as are any people that murder for any reason at all, anywhere in the world. Murder is murder, but murdering your daughter and future grandchild for money is probably as low as you can get.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: lambs to lions
The husband of a Pakistani woman stoned to death for refusing to participate in an arranged marriage told CNN her family had demanded 100,000 rupees if the couple wanted to stay alive.

So $1,000 would have bought 'honor' ... their 'religious values' would have been forgotten for a fist full of dollars. And since they didn't get money, they murdered their daughter and grandchild. Lovely freak'n bunch of neanderthals. Gawd ....

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Farzana Bari, a human rights activist based in Islamabad, said in many cases people outside the family don't step in to protect the victim "because it's a private matter."

A young pregnant woman is murdered in public .. on the steps of a legal building .. and no one stops it or condemns it because somehow murder is a 'private matter'. That mentality and ice-cold lack of caring is incomprehensible to me.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I've also noticed the article never mentions Islam. It only mentions honor killing. The world is too worried about offending someone that it leaves key facts out of news, etc.

Wouldn't want show negativity towards Islam. Then all the fake angry cry babies would unite and make a big fuss about how Islam is a peaceful religion...blah blah nlah

This is a cultural problem, not a religious one.
It tends to happen in villages where the residents arent very educated.
It also occasionally happens in the UK.

Im getting tired of people finding any stick they can find to beat Islam.
People killed each other long before Islam came to the world, and they will keep killing each other long after its gone.

It was only a few weeks ago that the botched execution of that guy happened in the good ole US of A.

Just look at the apartheid in Isreal/Palestine, children shot in the head by soldiers.
But they are allies? Or Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of wahhabi Islam. Oh, they are allies too.

SMH.

Yes I agree, this CULTURAL practice is backwards and barbaric, but then so is executing people when they could well be innocent.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I just read on Reuters that the police were present when the killing took place and stood by and watched for 15 minutes while the murder was occurring.

Also, it turns out that the husband of the slain pregnant women had previously killed his own first wife.

...and they say this isn't common or represent the people....right

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

This is the mindset of the entire religion... yes yes .. there are moderates,
but they are not able or not willing to overcome the mindset of the crazies.

This is what we allow into our countries and then bend over so not to upset them,
PC correct types say we mustn't question them or their laws..

I say we are letting monsters congregate in our home lands.. better be careful the
congregation doesn't get too large.

Disgusting/

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4

This is the mindset of the entire religion... yes yes .. there are moderates,
but they are not able or not willing to overcome the mindset of the crazies.

This is what we allow into our countries and then bend over so not to upset them,

I say we are letting monsters congregate in our home lands.. better be careful the

Disgusting/

So the Westboro Baptist church represents all christianity?

The racism/bigotry/ignorance and hatred being spouted on this thread is disturbing.
No, I would say disgusting.

DENY IGNORANCE.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

Do you live in the rural village of Lahore, Pakistan?

I have yet to see stoning here in the west. you almost fell on that slippery slope.

i don't know what PC are saying, but pot should not call kettle black.

say we are letting monsters congregate in our home lands.. better be careful the

yes and homosexuality will lead to marrying our pets. we get it. and Nope.
edit on 5/29/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: OneManArmy

Organised god fearing crazies are a universal problem for all sane humanity..
Islam is just out there in front at moment in the crazies stakes..

If were up to me the world would have denied ignorance a thousand years ago.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

or the media like to give spot like to the rural crazies and tell you "hey, look at the islamic savages"

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream

Do you live in the rural village of Lahore, Pakistan?

I have yet to see stoning here in the west. you almost fell on that slippery slope.

Your mistaking me for a Christian...

i don't know what PC are saying, but pot should not call kettle black.

say we are letting monsters congregate in our home lands.. better be careful the

yes and homosexuality will lead to marrying our pets. we get it. and Nope.

STOP... your rubbish is not for me....

I want no part of ANY dark age mumbo jumbo.
edit on Thu, 29 May 2014 15:06:02 -0500063America/ChicagoThursday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Sorry, can't blame me :/ if predominant religion against Islam is Christianity. like 2000 yrs.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

a reply to: OneManArmy

Organised god fearing crazies are a universal problem for all sane humanity..

If were up to me the world would have denied ignorance a thousand years ago.

Thats what the media would have you believe. The real crazies are running your country and mine also.
Killing millions in the name of democracy. But hey, lets not mention that, there are muslims to beat with a stick.

The racists and bigots and idiots are the opposite of the same crazy coin as the religious fundamentalists.
They are two sides of the same thing, lack of education leading to beliefs that are false and backwards.
Like I mentioned with the Westboro baptist church.
Every nation, religion, belief system has its crazies, even without religion we would still have crazies.

Some people talk like religion has the monopoly on idiots.
Religion had nothing to do with the starvation and slaughter of 20 million Russians at the hands of Stalins regime. The russians were athiests.
edit on 20145America/Chicago05pm5pmThu, 29 May 2014 15:09:32 -05000514 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Sorry, can't blame me :/ if predominant religion against Islam is Christianity. like 2000 yrs.

Not sure you understand.. I'm against all religion... it's inherently
evil..very very bad for humanity.

/

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

/

No you are mistaking religion for corruption.

Easy mistake to make when you are brainwashed by a daily barrage of propaganda.

The west wouldnt be so liberal and tolerant if it wasnt for christianity. Religion made the west what it is today.
Im not religious, I dont follow any religion, I believe in God. I at least understand the role religion played in moulding the modern world.
edit on 20145America/Chicago05pm5pmThu, 29 May 2014 15:14:32 -05000514 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneManArmy

/

No.. I'm not mistaken.. religion is very very bad for humanity as well as greed and corruption
and about a million other things.. But there isn't a corruption preacher going around trying to save me
or forcibly trying to convert me now is there.
edit on Thu, 29 May 2014 15:17:24 -0500173America/ChicagoThursday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneManArmy

/

No.. I'm not mistaken.. religion is very very bad for humanity as well as greed and corruption
and about a million other things.. But there isn't a corruption preacher going around trying to save me
or forcibly trying to convert me now is there.

Atheism killed more people than religion over the last 100 years.
Should we ban atheism?

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join