It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Military's 'Iron Man' Suit Prototype Could Debut Next Month

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I know this topic has been covered before here on ATS. Heck, I was one of the former posters concerning this subject. So let's take this as an update thread and not a new one. This concerns the new military Battlesuits known as the Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit or T.A.L.O.S. for short.

Ironman suit

In Greek mythology, "Talos" was a giant man (or maybe bull) made of bronze that guarded the island of Crete by running around it and flinging stones at invaders. The military's suit of the same name would protect its wearer from bullets, assist in lifting heavy loads and provide the wearer information about their environment using cameras, sensors and advanced displays. The suit is being developed by engineers at MIT, the U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command (RDECOM) and several other companies and academic institutions, with Battelle helping to oversee the integration of these technologies.

This is sooner than expected for me. With the way technology is drawn out over such long periods of time; especially Space tech, I wasn't expecting to see this tech for years. Anyway, this is very cool and I'm glad to see this happening now. What says ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
less like iron man more like Halo? top shelf body armor. coms built in. heating and cooling. Heads up display. hell you could load a suit will so many goodies its gonna make modern conflicts pretty amazing.

at least I'm pretty sure its more like halo? without propulsion that is. the wearer has to support it? daily mail has a few of its capabilities.

the big drawback to the whole iron man suits is for all intensive purposes the human body is a big water balloon. you can only strap things on so tight. eysium touched on some of this with the surgeries to connect the exoskeletons directly to the bone structure and nervous system on matt damon.... ooooo weeee i hope thats not the way these go! would make it impossible for me to ever get into one. i can just barely get myself to go to the dentist let alone the Exoskeleton surgeon lol.
edit on 27-5-2014 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

When they announced the were building one, my husband, who was in the army infantry during a couple tech advancements, said "If they're announcing it can be done, they've probably got it done". It's like when they say they're done researching---that just means whatever plan is ready-to-go.

But today is less than a year later. I would have expected them to hold out longer. I was thinking 3-5. But hey cell tech turns over at like less than 2 years, now. Technology can accelerate the invention of itself, it seems.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
how cool would it be to design a video game and then see it become reality.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Reportedly, people in combat in Afghanistan and Iraq weren't even all issued body armor or it was crap. Now, we're going to have high school dropouts on the frontlines taking bullets in something akin to a video game or comic book?

Yeah...right. lets put everyone we pay less than $20,000/year in a suit worth well over $300,000.

Must need more cannon fodder and something to look cool for commercials and recruiting.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
how cool would it be to design a video game and then see it become reality.

The games I play?...not desiring that at all. heh.

Dystopian tales are meant as a warning, not a goal.
But its about time soldiers start getting power armor. All future based games show thick armoring overall..makes sense.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I wonder how bad they will smell after wearing that suit for three days. The smell may make the enemy run. I bet it isn't wash and wear. Another expensive stupid idea, Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to not have war.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I wonder how bad they will smell after wearing that suit for three days. The smell may make the enemy run. I bet it isn't wash and wear. Another expensive stupid idea, Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to not have war.

If it does all that jazz it better wash my azz...

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Advanced technology usually begins with the military to evolve into harmless civilian applications.If this suit can make people stronger can it help the cripple to walk?C.O.P.D.sufferers to move and breath easier with its their environment.The possibilities are fascinating really.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor

So how hard will it be to go to the bathroom. Will there be a trapdoor like the old one piece long johns had?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor

So how hard will it be to go to the bathroom. Will there be a trapdoor like the old one piece long johns had?

Let's hope. On another note, I can't stop thinking about the new Tom Cruise movie where they're wearing battle suits. The timing of this development relative to the release of this new movie is almost uncanny.

www.imdb.com...

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The biggest drawback is the power source. They would need a serious amount of energy to keep a mechanical suit going for any useful amount of time. I wonder what they plan to use for power.

new topics

top topics

join