It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Booming China Awash in Out of Control Acid Rain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The rapid expansion of the Chinese economy has brought about a new environmental problem. Acid rain, described as "out of control" by the China Daily, has fell on more than 250 cities. The rain is directly responsible for a loss of over 13 billion dollars. China is currently the worlds biggest emitter of soot and sulphur dioxide. Most of this comes from the use of coal. Over three quarters of the electricity plant in China use coal for fuel. While attempts have been made to reign in pollution, they by and large have been unsuccessful.

story.news.yahoo.com
BEIJING (Reuters) - China's explosive economic growth is outpacing environmental protection efforts, leaving the country awash in "out of control" acid rain, the China Daily said Tuesday.

"The regional acid rain pollution is still out of control and even worse in some southern cities," Wang Jian, an official with the State Environmental Protection Administration, was quoted as saying.

Two major causes were the rapidly growing number of cars and increasing consumption of cheap, abundant coal as the country struggles to cope with energy shortages and meet power demand.

China is the world's largest source of soot and sulphur dioxide (SO2) emissions from coal, which fires three-quarters of the country's power plants.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It will be interesting to see how long the economic boom will continue as pollution rises. Its already to the point where it will effect food supplies and worse. Add into that a growing AIDS problem and other issues, China may soon find itself in an unsustainable crisis. The effects of the pollution will be felt well beyond its borders as the massive amount of pollution drifts over its neighbors.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Maybe this is part of the test as to if China actually gets to call itself a superpower or not. It's hard to believe that someone could have a bigger polution problem than the USA, but there ya go.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Eww!!! Sounds like making your country the cheapest place to produce the worlds products has some major drawbacks, doesn't it.
I think India is about as bad off, reallly.

I really question the morality of the companies doing this. They ditch the american workers, go there, pay crap, and well, save a bundle by not have to worry about pollution requirements. Then, bring the product back here to pawn off on us. I have a bad habit of shirking the companies that I know are doing this, hope they realize that fact.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
This issue was a big problem as far back as 1990. I was part of a "team" to discuss the issue with Bejing and the answer was "so what" it is just a "myth". Funny how "myths" are based in fact.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I don't know what it's going to take; a global catastrophe I guess. But, if we don't SERIOUSLY begin to exploit alternative energy sources today, it may be too late tomorrow. For that matter, it may already be too late.

I hope the space program advances quickly. Some of us may need a new place to live before long ...

top topics

join