It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iran Says Nuclear Freeze Won Last Long

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   
The Iranian chief negotiator for nuclear issues indicated that Iran�s ceasing of uranium enrichment activities would only last for a few months. They would not mothball its program despite pressure from both the E.U. and the United States. Iran continues to maintain that its program is for peaceful use only and says it will never give up its rights to any and all facets of nuclear production.

story.news.yahoo.com
TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran reiterated Tuesday it was only prepared to freeze its uranium enrichment activities for a few months and would not, as the EU and Washington want, permanently mothball facilities which could make atomic bombs.

The comments, made by Iran's chief nuclear negotiator, were a further blow to European Union efforts to persuade Tehran to scrap enrichment for good and were likely to fuel U.S. concerns that Iran secretly plans to produce nuclear weapons.

Iran, which insists its nuclear program is solely for electricity generation, Monday escaped possible U.N. sanctions after agreeing to suspend all activities which could be used to make bomb-grade material.

The EU hopes Iran will make the suspension permanent in return for trade deals and other incentives. But Tehran says it will never give up its right to develop a fully-fledged nuclear program, from uranium mines to reactors.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is yet another blow to the E.U. effort to reign in Iran�s program. Despite repeated statements of a peaceful intent, Iran actions to date indicate otherwise. Their actions and behavior reminds me a lot of North Korea, just not as extreme and a bit more coherent. They no doubt have seen the way the world has treated Kim with kid gloves and see it as a way of achieving goals.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   
i dont see what the big deal is about
so what if iran gets its nukes ( not like its going to launch them straight away )

nukes seem to be the only thing that keeps uncle sam out of someones back yard or in simple words the US running in guns blazing

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Iran is stringing everybody along as usual. They're only taking part in this temporary deal with the EU to drive another wedge between the USA and the EU/UN and to stall for time - and they're loving every minute of it - this from Hassan Rohani, a top Iranian official:

"We have proved that, in an international institution, we are capable of isolating the US. And that is a great victory," Mr Rohani said.

He added that the US representative at the IAEA meeting in Vienna "was enraged and in tears, and everybody said that the Americans had failed and we had won".

While it would be impossible for the USA to actually invade Iran, I believe we'll be looking at massive air-strikes in a few months. The US believes Iran are working towards having a nuclear device by next year and Iran have said the suspension of their uranium enrichment program will only last months. I think we can all see where this is headed...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Better some air-strikes from us instead of an all-out war from Israel. Israel�s government is poised to become even more right-wing / hard line over the next few months (Sharon�s government is near collapse) and they have stated that a nuclear armed Iran is not acceptable.

If Israel attacks Iran that could spark a very nasty 3rd (4th?) Arab-Israeli war and even more territory losses for Syria, Egypt and Jordan. Plus the fact our gains in the intelligence arms of the Arab governments would be wiped out and Al Quiada would gain some ground in the war on terror.

What I can�t figure out is that Iran must understand that the strike is coming, that Israel will declare war Iran the second they conduct their first test�it can�t be blind to this fact�so what is the end-game here?

What do the mullahs have in mind? Could it be that they already have several nuclear-armed missiles and are waiting for an Israeli attack as an excuse to use them? Are they so delusional they think they are immune from strikes? Do they believe their own rhetoric? Has Russia promised them something behind the scenes? China?

It would be incredibly stupid for Russia to arm Iran with nukes�it�s not a wise idea to give religious fanatical neighbors right on one of your borders this type of power�and China cannot project enough force to get militarily involved in the middle east.

Are the Arabs planning a new invasion of Israel this time using WMD? Could they be that reckless?

This one�s got me puzzled�

Sep

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
First: Iranians are not Arab

Second: Israel will not strike Iran, they've been talking about attacking for sometime now and nothing has happened. The fact is that Israel by itself does not have the conventional power to destroy Iran's nuclear sites. I read a report a while ago that there are some 350 sites that needs to be hit in case of an attack. Israel pushed their luck with Iraq and that was one site and it was close to its borders and they had perfect intelegence about the Iraqi radar and SAM capabilities. From what I heard Israeli intelegence incase of Iran isnt that great.

Third: The US attacking Iran from air will not stop Iran's nuke program, it will only make it go under ground and when they do make nukes they can justify having them by pointing to US and Israeli aggression.

As I have mentioned before, these Mullahs are perhaps some of the best politicians and negotiators in the world, if only they put their talent to good use, we would have world peace by now.

[edit on 30-11-2004 by Sep]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
(quote)First: Iranians are not Arab

I understand where you are coming from with the Iranians are not Arab
statement but it is widely stated that Iranians are Arabic when in fact they are Persian and there Primary dialect is Farsi which shares some of the pronuciations of Arabic and therefore confuses most people.

Back to the subject, I am and American but I have to agree that usually Nukes are the only way to keep us out of your backyard, otherwise look out it is the wild west all over again. (obviously I don't agree with this viewpoint)

[edit on 11/30/2004 by geocom]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Ditto what Sep and geocom said.

I, too, think that the best way to keep the U.S. at bay is by having nuclear capability. Not that I'm in favor of it, but it seems that brute force and big bombs is all the U.S.A and Israel understand. Diplomacy certainly isn't an option. With the U.S. next door in Iraq, I'd want nukes, too, if I was them.

It's only a matter of time before someone drops the big one. Let's hope it doesn't land over here ...

[edit on 11/30/2004 by netbound]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I think the constant stalling by Iran on the nuke issue is something to be looked at alone, and it has clearly upset the US military. Realizing, of course, that it is possible that by the time anyone can really do anything about it, Iran may have a nuke exploding squarely over Tel Aviv, or elsewhere. They have been so secretive for so long, I really would not be surprised to find out the hard way that they developed a nuke (or two?) deep underground. Or worse, that Iran may have already sold such a weapon to terrorists. Something needs to be done, fast, my spidey senses tell me.

Sep

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I think the constant stalling by Iran on the nuke issue is something to be looked at alone, and it has clearly upset the US military. Realizing, of course, that it is possible that by the time anyone can really do anything about it, Iran may have a nuke exploding squarely over Tel Aviv, or elsewhere. They have been so secretive for so long, I really would not be surprised to find out the hard way that they developed a nuke (or two?) deep underground. Or worse, that Iran may have already sold such a weapon to terrorists. Something needs to be done, fast, my spidey senses tell me.

A Russian General said that they have already bought one or two in the 1990s after the colaps of USSR. And i stiil dont see a nuke exploding in Tel Aviv.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Their actions and behavior reminds me a lot of North Korea, just not as extreme and a bit more coherent. They no doubt have seen the way the world has treated Kim with kid gloves and see it as a way of achieving goals.

And that is my problem I remember when the pressure were on Kim to stop his program but Alas!! he got away with it, how come? Because "terrorist" were not a problem with North Korea? just the possibilities of using them of South Korea?

Now Iran wants his nuclear program, but we can not trust them because Israel can not stand to have Iran with nuclear power.

Now the blame is on "terrorist" that can get their hands on them.

Guess what! if terrorist are going to get their hands on any nuclear weapon we are forgetting about Pakistan with the taliban in his borders, but occurs they claim that they clean them out. hummmm

Now since when Pakistan has turn into a democracy and are so good to US that US is providing them with arms.

Well somethings are always left when is to late to fix.

lets reward them and then call them enemy and Axis of evil.

I don't trust Pakistan any more that I trust Iran but the thing is one have the nuclear capabilities the other one is "thinking" about it.

top topics

join