It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italian PM vows to push for United States of Europe during presidency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
www.euractiv.com... tions/eu-elections-2014/italian-pm-vows-push-united-states-europe-during-presidency-302048

The Link incase you get page not found. hxxp://www.euractiv.com/sections/eu-elections-2014/italian-pm-vows-push-united-states-europe-during-presidency-302048

Beginning with the European elections, which "for the first time" are set not as "a summation of election campaigns, but something broader", he warned against the specter of anti-European populism. All mainstream political forces should not be scared to talk out loud, and point to the different line-ups that those populist parties have in terms of history and culture, and the way they are united by the desire to destroy what we have built. “Populism will thrive on abstentionism,” Renzi said. The only effective response, according to the prime minister, is to offer "an idea of ​​Europe that corresponds to an attractive adventure, rather than just a financial or economic exercise," showing that the EU "is not only a common past but a common destiny, to which it is impossible to escape." Renzi has indicated his priorities for the Italian presidency: growth and employment as the founding values ​​of Europe, citizenship rights and openness to the world, not only in terms of trade and economic relations, but also in terms of values.

Where do we begin on this one. This is not attainable in my opinion. Besides of the fact that Italy isn't strong politically and has raked their own citizens over the coals with a hung parliament, the biggest hindrance is that there is no common language shared amongst the inhabitants. As I said in my other post, Italy has a strong resentment of having a bilingual country and staunchly refuses to learn English or any other language other than their own; they are even resistant to learn different dialects from regions not commonly their own! While English has emerged as a common language of trade, it isn't enough to bring about a "stateship" carbon copy clone from countries that aren't coping well after losing their soverignity to the EU and the Euro.

Don't even get me started on the internal prejudices of Italians from their past (they have a big beef with the French and the Austrians). Granted all of Europe has have less than 50 years of peace after hundreds of years of fighting proxy wars and of course 2 world wars.

This is a friggin mess.
edit on 26-5-2014 by ArchPlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Perhaps he is just evoking his ancestors......

Its either the Rome way, or the Via Appia way (Highway).

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
He can push it all he likes, there's one small thing he's obviously unaware of - the people of Europe.

Silly man.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
actually a Government Template based on the United State's of America form of rule,structure,,
might just work in Europe.
Italy just wants to be "washington",, instead of brussels.

might work.it did for 200+ yrs in America,,

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
yes the people,, or "WE the People"

depends on one perspective i suppose.

a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

It can't work when Europe is a series of countries, not states, that all speak different languages, and have a different value system and moreso, been fighting their "cousins" pre 1968 for well over 650 years.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome
actually a Government Template based on the United State's of America form of rule,structure,,
might just work in Europe.
Italy just wants to be "washington",, instead of brussels.

might work.it did for 200+ yrs in America,,

Yeah. Look where it got them. The US is an oligarchy now.
Same crap is happening in Brussels, the worlds #2 city in terms of lobbyism (aka corruption).

What we're witnessing in the EU is the take-over of our nations by syndicalist centralists, and the amassing of political power inevitably leads to more corruption and less souvereignty for the people - just like it happened in the US.
edit on 27-5-2014 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
You are a bit unfair on the italians here.

I live in Italy and a lot of locals speak english better than I speak Italian.

They are very open and accommodating....well most are anyway.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
The majority of the Italians would disagree with the prime minster whom they even didn't vote for him.

"is not only a common past but a common destiny, to which it is impossible to escape." Renzi has indicated his priorities for the Italian presidency: growth and employment as the founding values ​​of Europe, citizenship rights and openness to the world, not only in terms of trade and economic relations, but also in terms of values. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

An United States of Europe its aim is only one objective and thats Russia. The United States of Europe wont give a crap about growth and employment for the people just look at the current EU.
edit on 27-5-2014 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
This would be the biggest mistake ever. I can promise that if this was even suggested to the British public they wouldn't just want out but demand to be brought out. That is the biggest mistake they could ever make, I've been saying this for years now there is an easy way to fix the EU without completely shutting it down.

Here they are:

1 Return all powers back to their own land and government.

2 Create a trade treaty that stretches across the world not just a select few (but only after certain countries reach a certain level of money and backing)

3 create a council of countries which would have a pair of people from each country one to be a politician the other a 'Normal' member of society from each country.

4 Create a system where healthcare isn't free but when a person has to use a countries healthcare they must present their bill to their government (their country) who would then pay it or them.

5 Create an extradition treaty for criminals across the world.

They're the only thing I can think of at this moment not sure what else really. But its actually pretty simple but there is one important rule that i'm gonna add:

6 Any Laws, not major but any and all laws after the treaty is signed must be put to the people of each country.

7 Every twenty or thirty years a referendum must be held in each country to decide if the people are happy to be part of the treaties.

I think that would be an easy way to fix this whole EU crap. I know it seems like the early version of the EU and well that's what inspired it. I think everyone who voted to join the EU way back when, if they would see it now they would shake their heads in disgust and say that they didn't vote for that.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Danny85
One problem. FRANCE. They would never EVER go for it.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: greavsie1971

I'm not doubting your experience, I'm just relating mine. In my experience my spouse is the only one that knows any other languages and where he's from its looked down upon as anti-patriotic that he is not only bilingual growing up, but the fact that he married outside of the Italian race.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: greavsie1971
You are a bit unfair on the italians here.
I live in Italy and a lot of locals speak english better than I speak Italian.
They are very open and accommodating....well most are anyway.

Same here. We have property in Italy and often go back for various reasons. The majority of Italians speak fairly good English which becomes more and more prevalent the closer you get to larger population centers.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Having read the article the following can be stated:

The Italian president has a bold vision, and one that could work, however, it will not. The problem with Europe right now, is that it cannot decide on its direction or what it wants to be. There are constant struggles with its cultural identities that arise every time, and is often in conflict with some of the various laws and positions that it has put forth with the Eurozone. The first major problem that came around was with the trying to get a lot of the countries into the Eurozone and dealing with the currency of the Euro. And that has gone fine, however, as the last round of elections that have come about, many of the countries in this zone are starting to have second thoughts about the free travel and movement, where the very ideas are in danger.

Even in Europe, there are still elements of prejudice and distrust against one group or another, and that is going to be something that will have to be dealt with. The next will be the idea of freedom of speech and religious freedom, which are constricted in some countries in Europe, along with immigration. Then there will also be one final aspect that they will have to deal with, and one that will hit harder for some countries.

There are still monarchies in the different European countries, though none of them have any real political power, as it is defined by a constitution the roles of the various monarchs. Would the people in the different European countries, which still have a sitting king or queen, be so willing to give that institution up so readily to achieve this dream or goal. In some countries, the monarch is still looked on with awe and wonder, and I do not see the population of said countries would be so willing to let go of those old institutions.

And finally, would Italy be willing to give up the pope, and the power of the church, or would such have a sway over the politics of Europe?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer
a reply to: BobAthome

It can't work when Europe is a series of countries, not states, that all speak different languages, and have a different value system and moreso, been fighting their "cousins" pre 1968 for well over 650 years.

That's rubbish. Many countries have more than one language and still govern with no problems. Our template can work anywhere, especially Italy, it was the birth place of democracy after all. Wanting a representative government that is for the people and by the people is the highest goal and I admire them for wanting it.

It only takes one country to do it and it could spread across Europe very easily. Everyone wants freedom and liberty after all.

The Bot

new topics

top topics

join