It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenwald's Finale: Naming Victims of Surveillance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

The man who helped bring about the most significant leak in American intelligence history is to reveal names of US citizens targeted by their own government in what he promises will be the “biggest” revelation from nearly 2m classified files.

Glenn Greenwald, the journalist who received the trove of documents from Edward Snowden, a former National Security Agency (NSA) contractor, told The Sunday Times that Snowden’s legacy would be “shaped in large part” by this “finishing piece” still to come.

His plan to publish names will further unnerve an American intelligence establishment already reeling from 11 months of revelations about US government surveillance activities.

Greenwald's Finale: Naming Victims of Surveillance

Oh goodness.... This might be a whopper and one to really shake things up!

Who HAS the NSA actually spied on, to get down to the brass tacks. What companies, which people and whom among the public have they been peeping on and listening to like creeps outside a window?

It sounds like we may be about to find out. There are different levels of different acts in this whole thing, and that's not justifications, that's statement of fact. As much as it was for Woodward and Bernstein contrasted with who Deepthroat turned out to be, vs. lesser leakers and so on.

One here was a bona fide credentialed journalist and acted with the backing of a recognized news organization. Good for him, as probably the cleanest of the whole lot, and certainly with the most obvious motives.

I'll be looking forward to finding this final part for his writing when it pops up and spreads out. Afterall...

....are any of our names on it? (looks around the audience)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Wow.

This could be interesting.

I think knowing who they were spying on vs who they WEREN'T spying on may be an interesting study.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I agree. I think this is precisely the kind of material many Americans like myself were hoping would be coming out. Dirty deeds done regarding Americans and widespread with specifics to personalize it all. This is what could bring change.

If his list is showing citizens and it covers the high society down to the middle-lower/middle class type folks? That could be one heck of a unifier in collective outrage. This has also built in a bi-partisan chain of outrageous things to get here, so the worst case scenario for politicians. Both sides mad at the same time and ....at the same thing.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000
If my name's not on it - I'll be P*SS*D!
I have worked so hard to get on Some honorary list...and time is getting thin.
...crossing fingers & legs...

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
...If his list is showing citizens and it covers the high society down to the middle-lower/middle class type folks? That could be one heck of a unifier in collective outrage. This has also built in a bi-partisan chain of outrageous things to get here, so the worst case scenario for politicians. Both sides mad at the same time and ....at the same thing.

What if it is just the opposite of what you've suggested?
Primarily targeting one group or another...
Do we then get, just a bunch of victims crying "Why Me/Us?"... Or, does it have a similar potential to what you suggested?i

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Yeah, interesting. After reading this earlier (among other articles) it almost seems a moot point now. Anyone outside of the mind controlled propaganda folks are targets. The status quo despises us and it's only a matter of time until the hammer falls. So what will each of us do? I know my answer and suggest others clarify their stance on tyranny.

Most ATS members are probably already logged in the numerous US Fusion centers. My response to them is "Go for it., see what happens." Someone is not going home for dinner tonight.

link to graphic

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

His plan to publish names will further unnerve an American intelligence establishment already reeling from 11 months of revelations about US government surveillance activities.

Once the list is published everyone that logs on to see if they're on it will be added to the list.

"Can I see if my name is on the list?"

"Why do you want to see if you're on the list, hmmm?"

From memory in "Gulag Archipelago"…

In Soviet Union under KGB people would be randomly rounded up sometimes to fill work quotas. Once someone was arrested the family would come to the police station to see why they were arrested … and promptly be arrested themselves, charged with some BS and shipped off to work camps, too. It was an easy way to fill quotas. Or make lists of suspects.

I know were not there yet, just musing about "lists" of names.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
No list yet though. I am curious, am I or anyone I know on the list? I doubt if I am important enough for that list, maybe I will make the most ignored list though.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Once someone was arrested the family would come to the police station to see why they were arrested … and promptly be arrested themselves

I say let them come. For one I think it's time to put an end to this fascism. If the entire US military could not subdue Viet Nam, contain Iraq, or over through a country like Afghanistan I doubt DHS will be able to contain the patriots of the United States, even with the NSA. Don't care how many MRAP's and billions of rounds of ammunition these traitors accumulate, these worthless POS are cowards. One to one and we win.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

they don't accumulate ammunition. all those rounds of ammo....they get sent to whoever has either paid for them, or we want to have them.

While there is some amount of "government waste" and/or fraud going on, most of it can be chalked up to reappropriating inventory
edit on 5/26/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

No, while they may filter these armaments between themselves the US federal government is preparing for war against their own citizens. It ties in with the surveillance of it's own citizens, the NDAA and all the rest of the evil that has taken hold in Washington DC. I mean come on, why would fed agencies be doing crap like this.. Dept. of Agriculture Orders Ballistic Body Armor

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

It constantly brings me great joy that these leaks started and are continuing. It's only when you get older and begin researching that you realize your government (in most cases) are not what they appear to be and are definitely NOT, looking out for the welfare of their own citizens

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

sweet. new ballistic body armor for "freedom fighters" in Syria.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Regardless of what Greenwald publishes, you'll never know if he selectively omitted your name ... or, if your name was on a list and he didn't have a file for it.

Am really curious what the people named will do Collectively. There may be enough leverage from a class action lawsuit (or several) to stop passive collection of privacy information ... AND ... any analysis of collected data. Maybe we can get a ruling that such data must be purged every five minutes.

The only way to make this stop is to make the maintenance of that data such a chore that it's not worth the trouble.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl
Great idea!
May be worth further consideration & development.
...any takers?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
*Fingers crossed*

Please be me, please be me . . . Damn you, wishful ego!

It would be a great conversation starter don't you think?

-FBB

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
More interesting than what individuals were marked for surveillance would be what corporations had their networking infrastructure bugged. In the previous piece about the interception of network switches and routers and the installation of NSA "Firmware", I did wonder why this was being done. After all, the "Terrorists" don't have networks and corporate headquarters that would use such equipment, the business community however, does have this.

How wonderful it would be for corporate LAN's to be accessible by the NSA. All that insider info on performance, mergers and acquisitions, product development etc. Very useful, for some people, for getting the inside info for investment purposes and confidential product development roadmaps that can be sold on to give the edge to favoured customers of that information, foreign or domestic!

It's never been about "Terrorists" at all. That is simply the excuse used for the mass surveillance to sell to the public.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I am patiently waiting for this list to come out.

I will not be checking for my name.
I will be looking for the names of US Senators, Congressmen and members of the SCOTUS.

If we see names like that, the populace will know that our government has been hijacked. What would happen next?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I'll be looking forward to finding this final part for his writing when it pops up and spreads out. Afterall...

....are any of our names on it? (looks around the audience)

Well, let's hope that it just our names or aliases and not both LOL.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Yeah... many of us were already burned that way from the Stratfor hack. I'd prefer not being burned twice in quite that way. (I'm no one special, but that's what made Stratfor special. They help even citizen journalists stay updated)

I didn't get the impression its a formally prepared NSA list by the story though. It sounds more like he ran a search bot through it all and extracted names or groups of names as data blocks to go hit on more. 2 million docs... (WoW)

Snowden is believed to have used a “spider” such as Googlebot, an easily available automated web crawler that Google developed to find and index new pages on the web. After Snowden set parameters for how far the spider should range, investigators have concluded, it was able to collect data when he wasn’t present.
(Op Link)

I've said this before, whatever else, I can't fault the skill this was all done with. The worst guy who could have, in the worst position to have had it happen in, did the worst thing they could really have come up with happening from an insider.

Bad day at the NSA, to be sure. They kinda got NS-Scroogled.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join