It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing - Perfect Salt Cubes Formed In The Dead Sea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Greetings,

Well how about this then, Nature forming perfect Salt Cubes in the Dead Sea near Israel.

Nature never fails to impress!

For anyone wondering, this occurs because of the chemical bond geometry of the salt. Since the surface is exposed to the same concentration of salt the cube grows symmetrically. “Those look like lattice defects caused by impurities. Potassium chloride, sodium bromide, that sort of thing. It disrupts the flow, but not enough to significantly weaken the lattice energy.” Crystal structure. You can have different shapes, but also different structures of those shapes. So for instance, crystals can form as a cube, but there can be body centred cube, meaning that there are the 8 normal corners and one in the very centre (9 atoms total). Or face centred, meaning that there is an atom in the centre of each face (14 atoms total). This can also affect material density. - See more at: www.wajlol.com...

Source

Have we any scientists in the house to confirm this?

Regards

Spiro

I was not sure were to post this.

edit on 26-5-2014 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Yep, that's very true! Salt, also known as Sodium Chloride, or NaCl, forms a "Face Centered Cubic" crystal structure, which creates perfect cubes like this. It isn't easy to produce such pristine cubes but it is definitely possible. Heck, you could probably recreate this in your own kitchen with some salt and a cup of water.

Nature at all levels, from atomic to astronomic, is amazing isn't it?
edit on 26-5-2014 by Pants3204 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pants3204

Yes it really is indeed. The more I explore mother earth the more I am amazed

Thanks for the clarification too

Regards

Spiro

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I think there is quite a bit of bromide in dead sea salt. That is why people use it for baths, it relaxes people.

Now I wonder if that would also effect the shape somewhat or whether the crystals formed are actually void of this ion.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

edit on 26-5-2014 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I think there is quite a bit of bromide in dead sea salt. That is why people use it for baths, it relaxes people.

Now I wonder if that would also effect the shape somewhat or whether the crystals formed are actually void of this ion.

Its also quite good for Psoriasis too. My mother visited the Holy lands a few years a go and brought me back some Dead Sea salts and they worked really well. It can be bought in certain UK stores however it just does not have the same effect.

Regards

Spiro

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiro

cool vibration.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I thought that "there are no right angles in nature"

I recall hearing that somewhere, but I'm not sure if it was anywhere credible.

Either way, this is fairly awesome.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Eww, don't put it in your mouth. It could have all kinds of number 1 and number 2 on it. Either from birds or humans, considering there aren't any fish or other aquatic animals. I think there are certain bacteria though, at least on the sea floor where fresh water enters through fissures in the ground.

I would think that the explanation is correct, and has to do with the crystalline structure formed by chemical bonding. I do not know for sure, but it seems quite plausible. I'm glad you posted it at least, because I learned something new. Never knew this about the place.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
If I remember correctly, I did this for one of my middle school science projects in the 80's.
Think all it consisted of was a glass, a piece of string, a piece of tape, water and salt.
It seems we had to buy a particular kind of salt but I don't remember the details.
Anyway the crystals formed on the string and I got an A..........I think.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Thought you might like this as well.

gizmodo.com...

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pants3204

Nature can be fractal : the structure at the large scale resembles the small-scale structure.
edit on 27-5-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thank you very much, I did enjoy that indeed
a reply to: dragonridr

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I also was under the impression of the same? In any case, this is awesome if nature really is producing right angles. Mmm, something to research perhaps? a reply to: Vortiki

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
My chemist in me is denying the perfect cubes.. its just not nature.

cubish i can understand not perfect even like that... nope.

However, im willing to be proven wrong.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
It is probably a salt, yes, but nothing you would want to eat or taste.

Even when swimming in the dead sea you have to be careful not to get your eyes wet with the stuff. It's something like an oily water unlike anywhere else

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Philippines
It is probably a salt, yes, but nothing you would want to eat or taste.

Even when swimming in the dead sea you have to be careful not to get your eyes wet with the stuff. It's something like an oily water unlike anywhere else

Its not oily just stings your eyes do to high salt content but it is incredibly easy to float and very hard to drown yourself.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

it relaxes people.

Doesn't it give you limp di*k also ?

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

For anyone wondering, this occurs because of the chemical bond geometry of the salt.

nonsense , its obviously Aliens and they are trying to slowly season us.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

For anyone wondering, this occurs because of the chemical bond geometry of the salt.

nonsense , its obviously Aliens and they are trying to slowly season us.

pmsl

That gave me a right good chuckle

Regards

Spiro

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join