It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I was the NRA"...an observation on guns and gun ownership.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: smithjustinb
I own a gun because I value my life enough to protect it to the fullest extent possible when confronted with any situation. I also own a gun because I value the lives of those around me enough to protect them.

If you are against protecting yourself and your family, that is a strong, negative statement of the kind of person you are.

There are many ways to defend yourself without the need of a gun. Only weaklings and people who know nothing about self defense think I have to have a gun to protect myself.

Ok,Bruce Lee!I would like to see you defend yourself against one of these little guys from across the border and him armed with a knife.I wonder how well you would do?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I didn't make that up.

Here's their website.

www.momsdemandaction.org...

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Loveaduck

I am all for people owning guns and we've always had that right but it's changed.

The prevalence of guns in our culture has changed the way police react while patrolling the streets.
The prevalence of weapons makes police many more times likely to shoot to kill.

This onslaught of weaponry is all in the hands of a few people since there are enough guns sold for one to every person in America but only half of America owns guns.

Gone are the days when Police fired warning shots or brought troublesome offenders in. Police are scared for their lives and almost everyone who gets in an altercation are shot. It wasn't always this way. Caught in the net of fear are many innocent people. Old ladies protecting their property, others who were mentally handicapped and off their medications, for whom parents called Police for help, some were drunk, some did not understand the officer was speaking to them...all of them were shot and killed because Police have risen to meet the level of violence they see on the street.

Just so a few people can keep their arsenal and say everyone should have one?
It doesn't seem right.

LOL. You talk about fear but then you post some hysterical and fear drenched stuff.

First of all, cops never did "warning shots." That is only in movies and TV and it is a very dangerous thing to do because that "warning shot" goes somewhere and could hit an innocent person. One needs to own every singe round that leaves the firearm and "warning shots" are stupid. Either you have justification for using deadly force, in which case you should shoot at the threat, or you do not, in which case you don't shoot anything at all.

You say that there is more fear and danger now, but you fail to realize that back in the "good old days" there was much less gun control. Kids brought their rifles to school if they were on a team or just going hunting on the way home. You could order guns through the mail prior to 1968--straight to your door from Sears. Thus, more gun control does not equal less crime.

You mentioned police being able to take in trouble makers. Yep, they could do that and beat the # out of them too. Everybody knew who the trouble makers were and they got watched and dealt with. Can't do stuff like that anymore thanks to ACLU and crybaby liberals. Of course, maybe cops aren't like the local beat cop of yesteryear anyway and we don't want them to be able to do that stuff now regardless.

The problem is multifactorial--a war on drugs that cause a literal war over turf, a society that coddles and does not punish violent criminals, blame the victim, "thug life" is glorified in film and song, no more family units but kids being raised by a single parent with siblings that have different fathers, etc, etc, etc, ad infinutim ad nauseaum. Given this whole climate, the worse thing one can do is take away the means of self defense for law abiding honest people.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: beezzer

That can't be real.....

Tell me that is a prank, photoshpp joke. Right??????

Actually, former vice president of Handgun Control Incorporated said that very thing a couple of decades back and I've seen various lefty anti-gun people say that or similar over the years.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
**Shakes head** Morons, every single one of them.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

**Shakes head** Morons, every single one of them.

I'm not going to make many friends with that post, but people have to wake up to the fact that there are people who believe this.

This isn't some academic discussion being conducted in a nice safe classroom on a college campus.

This is what many believe. This is the type of trash being taught!

It's better to "take it", "be a victim" than defend yourself.

It is sad.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: TiedDestructor
Another US is bad because they like guns thread... oh joy.

originally posted by: Swills
Wasn't going by the article, rather by the OP.

To all outside appearances...including this site...America is gun-obsessed. Is that a judgmental statement? Am I saying US is bad, anywhere in my post? I said we do things differently. Is feeling different an anti-American action? Methinks you're working a chip on your shoulder...I'm just interested in the discussion the article generates.

In all fairness, the "obsession" in the media and appearance thereof is solely the product of those who want to remove guns form the law abiding. If crime was treated like a criminal matter and power hungry politicians and leftists left the law abiding gun owner alone, you wouldn't see all of this hullaballoo.

And to be honest, a lot of that obsession is coming from Canadian and British and European media who seem to worry more about guns in the US than a lot of Americans do. I don't care what Canadians do or do not do with their guns but an awful lot of Canadians seem to care about me.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
a reply to: gladtobehere

The NRA needs a reason to exist. They profit from membership and manufacturers of firearms. Your post is so spot on. Why do gun and ammo sales skyrocket?
Because people are easily duped...
At least no one has brought up FEMA camps yet...
If your organization ceases to have a reason to exist, it does just that, unless you can invent a new danger or new enemy. Then cha-ching!!!

So would you say the same thing about The Million Mom March or Handgun Control Incorporated to use fear to sell memberships and get donations?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

a reply to: buster2010

Oh the old "Man Card" retort.

Yes yes yes we all know that you and others have the mastery level of Bruce-Karate-Judo-Lee and can deal with 4 people at once with your hands tied behind your back. Others don't.

Or, maybe we just don't posses your skilled level of reasoning with a criminal. Perhaps while they violate you, invite them to join ATS afterwards to talk about why they did what they did?

So you are another one of those ignorant people who thinks you have to be Bruce Lee to defend yourself. Have you ever thought about getting off your lazy ass and learning to defend yourself instead of having to rely on a gun? A simple piece of wood can work wonders if you know how to use it. That is the problem with today's generation just too damn lazy.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234
a reply to: amfirst1

You understand incorrectly. They issue everyone between the ages of 20 and 30 a gun as part of their militia, the weapon you're issued is stored in the local armory and not your private home. Switzerland has no standing military.

There's no requirement to own a gun, just to join the militia.

That is incorrect. The issued rifle and, until recently, an issued tin of ammunition is stored at your home with the rest of your kit. You are required to qualify with it annually.

In addition, a Swiss citizen can and often does, own guns and ammunition and keeps them in their home. Shooting is actually ubiquitous sport for the Swiss.

Last year Swiss anti-gun groups proposed legislation to move all issued firearms to central armories and this was voted down.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Yes yes yes we all know that you and others have the mastery level of Bruce-Karate-Judo-Lee and can deal with 4 people at once with your hands tied behind your back. Others don't.

Or, maybe we just don't posses your skilled level of reasoning with a criminal. Perhaps while they violate you, invite them to join ATS afterwards to talk about why they did what they did?

So you are another one of those ignorant people who thinks you have to be Bruce Lee to defend yourself. Have you ever thought about getting off your lazy ass and learning to defend yourself instead of having to rely on a gun? A simple piece of wood can work wonders if you know how to use it. That is the problem with today's generation just too damn lazy.

Riiight. You're going to fight off some armed thugs with a pointed stick. Whereas, I would agree that one should know how to defend themselves with any tool and any situation, limiting yourself from one of the better tools is simply stupid. You will get no fair play form a criminal, why make his job any easier and make your survival less certain by starting out the situation already hamstrung.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Some may want to fight fairly.

If I was in any situation where my life or the lives of my loved ones were at stake, I would want to fight with the best advantage to winning without me or mine coming to any harm.

And if that means making big holes appear in someone's torso, I'm okay with that.

But pointed sticks are not going to deter a 300lb man from a 90lb woman.

That's why firearms make great equalizers.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

In my opinion anyone who wants to fight 'fairly' when someone else is trying to do them harm is a goddamn moron.

If you are trying to hurt me I will do anything and everything to stop you.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I didn't make that up. Here's their website. www.momsdemandaction.org...

Thing is, there is a lot of heinous stuff out there which can be directly attributed to arse-hats that happen to be right-wing as well. But, there's generally enough respect on the boards that you guys aren't equated with each and every one of them. Except that Cards fan...it's too rich.

Fact remains you oughtta know better, and that little submission is going to define you in a whole different manner.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Oh good lord.

Lazy??? Seems that Progressives hold that trophy.

But, I will entertain this.
Having trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for some time now. Also trained with local LE for hand to hand combat and firearms training.
Also participated with numerous events like Tough Mudder and Spartan Race.
So..........laziness doesn't seem to be the problem here.

I have yet to meet a piece of wood that can stop a bullet. Or person armed with wood that can stop most people from shooting them.

You keep your piece of wood. I, unlike you, have no problem with allowing you to exercise your right to be armed in that manner.

I will keep my firearm(s).

So much for the "tolerant" left.

It is always different for you guys.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

I didn't make that up. Here's their website. www.momsdemandaction.org...

Thing is, there is a lot of heinous stuff out there which can be directly attributed to arse-hats that happen to be right-wing as well. But, there's generally enough respect on the boards that you guys aren't equated with each and every one of them. Except that Cards fan...it's too rich.

Fact remains you oughtta know better, and that little submission is going to define you in a whole different manner.

The fact is if just pointing out the extremes that people will go to, to reduce/eliminate freedoms is troublesome, then I accept that responsibility.

Life isn't pretty.

There are those that would have you begging rather than defending yourself.

If you aren't a supporter of the freedoms that we have, then you might as well join those who want to take them away.

I'm glad it shook you up.

I hope like hell it shakes others up.

If you want to see me in a different light because of it?

I can live with that.

Maybe it'll cause you or others to take another look at your own stance on the issue as well.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

In my opinion anyone who wants to fight 'fairly' when someone else is trying to do them harm is a goddamn moron.

I fight to win, not to adhere to rules people think should be applied.

Never have met a criminal that followed such rules either.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Exactly.

I don't ever want to walk into a "fair" fight.

I want to win.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

So, pointing out something is now a bad thing???

I guess it must be sexist.....or misogynistic for Beezer to point out crap that spews from the mouth of people like the MDA.

How about racist???? Haven't heard that one in a while.

MDA stated it. Can't change that.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

holy crap is that a real tweet.......or photoshopped.....if real i mean i dont even know what to say....

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join