It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we PLEASE continue to spread the message of "DENY IGNORANCE"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It's great to say "Deny Ignorance," talk about collaboration and touting the virtues of being respectful and polite and I see a lot of lip service paid to those types of things here. However, I don't think the majority of the dialogue on the site rises to those levels or truly embraces those standards/ideas. Frankly, there's a boat load of just plain toll like behavior on the site and I wish it was called out for what it is more often.

I don't know what you do with that or how you correct it. However, I have been thinking that maybe some people just don't really understand how the ideas and standards spoken about in the op's quote of the ATS About Us page work themselves out, or how they don't, in actual practice. (I'm sure in some regards I'm one of them and could stand a little improvement in some areas)

So, for those who want to learn how those standards/ideas are applied and work themselves out in actual practice, maybe a board devoted to that would be helpful, both for them and the site. Sort of like a finishing school or something to that effect.

I'm just thinking out loud here but maybe it could address topics like:

"How to collaborate with someone, even if you disagree with them"
"What real respect sounds like and what it doesn't sound like"
"Are you a troll? Subtle and not so subtle forms of trolling"

Anyway, whatever the sites flaws, I'm going to stick around for awhile, there is still lots to learn here, just wish there wasn't so much junk to wade through.

edit on 27-5-2014 by imwilliam because: I really wish I could spell

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Perhaps a new slogan or tag line is in order.

Deny ignorance really doesn't made any sense.

To deny ignorance would to state there is no ignorance analogous to climate change deniers deny there is any climate change. See it. Deny climate change -- Deny ignorance.

It's also a very negative passive statement rather then a more active and positive one.

Fight ignorance. Educate ignorance. Both active and positive.

Anything that makes sense would be better.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

It makes perfect sense.

To deny ignorance is to never let it prevail.

Maybe too late to do anything about it round here.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The motto "Deny Ignorance" has been perpetually used by sceptics to legitimise the patronising of posters who have developed powers of intuition. Sometimes I feel these sceptics are puffing and panting with excitement and anticipation to be the first posters to reply to a topic on any etherial subject. It is like shooting fish in a barrel to them. Of course the occam's razor principal is the sharpest tool in the shed and the obvious practical explanation is applied to what end? To deny ignorance? Or to demonstrate how another poster's mental maturity is childish.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

originally posted by: FyreByrd

It makes perfect sense.

To deny ignorance is to never let it prevail.

Maybe too late to do anything about it round here.

it isn't clear....

Dictionary definition of DENY:

deny |diˈnī|
verb ( -nies, -nied) [ trans. ]
refuse to admit the truth or existence of (something) : they deny any responsibility for the tragedy.
• [with two objs. ] refuse to give (something requested or desired) to (someone) : the inquiry was denied access to intelligence sources.
• refuse to accept or agree to : judges would retain the discretion to grant or deny the requests.
• refuse to acknowledge or recognize; disown : Peter repeatedly denied Jesus.
• ( deny oneself) refrain from satisfying oneself : he had denied himself sexually for years.
• archaic refuse access to (someone) : the servants are ordered to deny him.
ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French deni-, stressed stem of deneier, from Latin denegare, from de- ‘formally’ + negare ‘say no.’

One by one
#1 refuse to admit the truth or existence of..... Ignorance. Nope.
#2 refuse to give .... ignorance .... to... Nope
#3 refuse to accept to agree to ... ignorance. That could work.
#4 refuse to acknowledge or recognize ---- ignorance. Nope
#5 refrain from satisfying oneself with ... ignorance. Too convoluted.
#6 refuse access to ... ignorance. Again it's a stretch.

Not clear at all.

Definition of Ignorance:

ignorance |ˈignərəns|
noun
lack of knowledge or information : he acted in ignorance of basic procedures.
ORIGIN Middle English : via Old French from Latin ignorantia, from ignorant- ‘not knowing’ (see ignorant ).

Insert 'lack of knowledge' in all five above.

No - Not clear at all.

All definitions from my desktop Apple dictionary (too much crap with online dictionaries.)

Not Clear At All
edit on 27-5-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Golden Rule
The motto "Deny Ignorance" has been perpetually used by sceptics to legitimise the patronising of posters who have developed powers of intuition. Sometimes I feel these sceptics are puffing and panting with excitement and anticipation to be the first posters to reply to a topic on any etherial subject. It is like shooting fish in a barrel to them. Of course the occam's razor principal is the sharpest tool in the shed and the obvious practical explanation is applied to what end? To deny ignorance? Or to demonstrate how another poster's mental maturity is childish.

perpetually used - how long is that?

oh - patronising of posters - so only since the internet...

Well this is the first place I've heard of Deny Ignorance as a rallying cry.

If one truly want to fight ignorance rather then deny it, it behooves one to educate oneself first so that 'patronizing posters' will understand what what one means.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I just wish the ATS was a large size again, and Deny Ignorance was used as a slogan along the top of the page. The top of the page now has a gif ad running, and I have to hurry and scroll down to cover it up, but it's on every page now.

And how are new members going to get the slogan drilled into them? People who've been here awhile can recite 'Deny Ignorance' in their sleep (and often do). But if it's not printed anywhere on the pages anymore, it's gone and fades as a memory, especially for new users who don't even have it as a memory.
edit on 27-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

When I joined in 2007 I was so excieted. I had an experience that I could tell no one. It was my alien experience that I stand by as true along with my children and 2 young grandchildren that experienced it with me.

I was longing everyday to get home from work and see what was on ATS.

THe substance I enjoyed following is gone or being very quiet. What happened to those firey 60 page discussions that kept us anxious for the next post.

I KNOW supernatural things are going on. I know amazing unbelieveable events are hAPPENING TO OUR MEMBERS.

ATS has gotten boring and filled with personal opinion that puts me to sleep.

Let's have some more post that make you check behind you bed at night, and give you those oh so enjoyable and life tingling up our spines.

I , of course an one of the problems.I keep things tightly incased in my mind because I feel nobody wants the wildly and far flung TRUTH.

It is almost like we have lost some very interesting members but most are still here.

Are we afraid to speak our thoughts? Does the government power have us afraid to speak?

I have been very ill the past couple of years. But I am Back and much better than the shy person I was when I joined this group.

I will begin work on some information to share and maybe shake things up a bit.

Would you that complain please try to do the same? Let's don't let excietment die on ATS.
Remember the Dark Knight? And there are many other examples of postings that kept us up late every night.

Peace

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I won't explain things in minute detail, like you.

I tried to deny your ignorance and allow you the chance to be a little wiser, but you obviously prefer ignorance so I'll leave you to it.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Back when we were all putting our ideas in for the 'ats slogan', my input was 'deny spin'. I think that's a really good one for election year cycles.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Now even the home page has changed to more ads, I don't think it used to have the big ad on top. So was the slogan removed, and the ATS logo downsized, to make more ad space? I'll cry in my beer later.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
Now even the home page has changed to more ads, I don't think it used to have the big ad on top. So was the slogan removed, and the ATS logo downsized, to make more ad space? I'll cry in my beer later.

Of course these changes are for revenue generation. This is an advertisement driven website with
filling up the remaining space.

This place really sucks these days.

R.I.P ATS.....Deny Ignorance, my arse!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Deny Ignorance
"Refuse" to "Not Know"

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SkyLiner

Yep - the only way it works.

Still isn't clear. Fighting ignorance requires clarity.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkyLiner
Deny Ignorance
"Refuse" to "Not Know"

Lol. In other words, pester people to tell, what they don't want to tell?
Deny Ignorance is all bollocks

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
@ dizziedame..... ''ATS has gotten boring and filled with personal opinion that puts me to sleep.''. ______________I dont have a problem with personal opinion.except when some try to pass off personal opinions as fact. Ats these days : ''X is good because its correct and nice. Y is bad because its wrong and dumb, and look at this 55 minute youtube video after you are done reading this block of text I found on google''. However, Though ats stopped being a place for intelligent discussion, it is STILL a great place for chit chat on current events and what not. Imo, its a giant watercooler in cyberspace where we gather at breaks.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I think 'confront ignorance' would be better, you can't really deny something that is so abundant and problematic. By ignoring its existence you're only going to allow it to thrive.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
As I've always said...

Deny Ignorants is much better.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: twfau
I think 'confront ignorance' would be better, you can't really deny something that is so abundant and problematic. By ignoring its existence you're only going to allow it to thrive.

Oh that's very good, I like it.

Confront Ignorance

Wonderhoofen.....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join