It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
originally posted by: nerbot
originally posted by: FyreByrd
Deny ignorance really doesn't made any sense.
It makes perfect sense.
To deny ignorance is to never let it prevail.
Maybe too late to do anything about it round here.
verb ( -nies, -nied) [ trans. ]
refuse to admit the truth or existence of (something) : they deny any responsibility for the tragedy.
• [with two objs. ] refuse to give (something requested or desired) to (someone) : the inquiry was denied access to intelligence sources.
• refuse to accept or agree to : judges would retain the discretion to grant or deny the requests.
• refuse to acknowledge or recognize; disown : Peter repeatedly denied Jesus.
• ( deny oneself) refrain from satisfying oneself : he had denied himself sexually for years.
• archaic refuse access to (someone) : the servants are ordered to deny him.
ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French deni-, stressed stem of deneier, from Latin denegare, from de- ‘formally’ + negare ‘say no.’
originally posted by: Golden Rule
The motto "Deny Ignorance" has been perpetually used by sceptics to legitimise the patronising of posters who have developed powers of intuition. Sometimes I feel these sceptics are puffing and panting with excitement and anticipation to be the first posters to reply to a topic on any etherial subject. It is like shooting fish in a barrel to them. Of course the occam's razor principal is the sharpest tool in the shed and the obvious practical explanation is applied to what end? To deny ignorance? Or to demonstrate how another poster's mental maturity is childish.
originally posted by: Aleister
Now even the home page has changed to more ads, I don't think it used to have the big ad on top. So was the slogan removed, and the ATS logo downsized, to make more ad space? I'll cry in my beer later.
originally posted by: twfau
I think 'confront ignorance' would be better, you can't really deny something that is so abundant and problematic. By ignoring its existence you're only going to allow it to thrive.