It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Britain admits cost of ID cards will be almost double estimate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The introduction of a national identity card in Britain will cost more than twice the initial estimate of 3 billion pounds. The controversial new plan would phase in a card that contained biometric devices like finger prints and iris scans for security.

story.news.yahoo.com< br /> LONDON (AFP) - The British government has admitted the cost of introducing identity cards will be almost double its original estimate of three billion pounds (5.6 billion dollars, 4.3 billion euros)), the Financial Times reported.

The Home Office now estimates the introduction of identity cards will cost 5.5 billion pounds over 10 years to get running, the Financial Times said. The original estimate was made two years ago.

The latest figure will fuel doubts about the cost-effectiveness of the contentious plan to which Prime Minister Tony Blair gave his backing on Monday, the Times said.

The government last week announced a range of new measures to fight global terrorism and organized crime, as Queen Elizabeth II set out its new lawmaking agenda ahead of expected general elections next year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Obviously there are concerns about privacy with the new cards, but from my perspective, they are an important security measure and no different that the drivers license that we carry anyway. Linking the data bases would allow faster scanning to root out potential terrorists.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Initially I was in favour of the ID card - but no longer.

There is little or no evidence to support the argument the card would prevent terrorism.

The 9/11 terrorists genereally had valid documents and travelled under there own names.

A terrorist could arrive here illegally without an identity card just as lots of illegal immigrants and migrant workers do now.

A foreign national won't have an ident card even if the rest of us did.

The cost of the scheme is hugely expensive. Is it going to pay for itself out of savings to the tax payer? No! Everyone will have to pay for their own card at about £35 each! I'm sure the cost will go up too as the cost of implementing the scheme increases.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I totally agree about the terrorists this card for the UK or chips in the passports or drivers licenses will not stop these people, the biggest problem with fighting terrorism is that we have no idea who they are and there is no real way to find out who they are it could be the person you work with sitting in the next cubicle it could be anyone. No card will solve this, I am in total disagreement with these upcoming policies and I will not comply no matter the cost..

geo

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
yeah £85, if you want the passport version, and a fine if u dont get one!!!

new topics

top topics

join