It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Road Check 2014: Coming to a highway near you in June

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:27 PM
a reply to: Xcathdra

Thanks for the extra info.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:33 PM
a reply to: liejunkie01

I have yet to be involved in a sobriety checkpoint where no lawyers come through. In my experience we have quite a few come through, intentionally, to see if the requirements set by the state / federal court rulings are present and being applied correctly.

They also ask the officers question to make sure the proper supervision is present.

In my state we are required to have a certified checkpoint control officer. Any action taken by an officer at the checkpoint comes back to the checkpoint supervisor (added accountability).

SCOTUS has ruled that sobriety checkpoints are constitutional and have set requirements for them.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:53 PM
a reply to: liejunkie01

Instead of " I have rights " think more like " We have rights ", everyone have the right to safe roads, and it can be annoying to some,but you can't deny it's also potentionally saves life for others, you know....We have rights.

If a person suspects someone of drinking and driving they should be reported.

I agree, but what about those who doesn't get reported ?

You shound not be suspected of doing so then have to show that you are not.

The justice system is a piece of # in many cases, i agree, but thats of topic....

edit on 25-5-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 04:17 PM
a reply to: Sremmos80

Truck drivers are required to undergo a physical every two years. We get a long form that stays on the truck that lists allergies, blood pressure, height, weight, etc, and a medical card that has to stay on us that gives the date of the physical, the expiration date of you're physical, and that your are physically able to operate a CMV.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 04:18 PM

Exactly. I've been through these before and have yet to see a private vehicle stopped for them.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:43 AM

originally posted by: Montana
CVSA Roadcheck

Roadcheck, now in its 27th year, is the largest targeted enforcement program on commercial motor vehicles in the world, with nearly 17 trucks or buses inspected, on average, every minute from Canada to Mexico during a 72-hour period in early June. Each year, approximately 10,000 CVSA-certified local, state, provincial and federal inspectors in every jurisdiction across North America perform the truck and bus inspections.

This year's International Roadcheck is June 3-5, 2014. International Roadcheck 2014 will include primarily North American Standard Level I Inspections, which is the most thorough roadside inspection. It is a 37-step procedure that includes an examination of both the driver and vehicle. Drivers will be asked to provide items such as their license, endorsements, medical card and hours-of-service documentation, and will be checked for seat belt usage and the use of alcohol and/or drugs.

Got your Hazmat up to date?

For those of us who may be traveling the continent's highways in early June, prepare for possible delays.

As I think about this, I am sure various police forces will use this event to "piggyback" general sobriety and 'safety' checks on random motorists as well. Never let a good roadblock go to waste, so to speak. Maybe it would be a good time to drive Route 66 instead of the Interstate on those days....

It is my understanding they already had Viper Teams on interstate 40 in Tenn.

VIPR teams which count TSOs among their ranks, conduct searches and screenings at train stations, subways, ferry terminals and every other mass transit location around the country. In fact, as the Los Angeles Times has detailed, VIPR teams conducted 9,300 unannounced checkpoints and other search operations in the last year alone. The very thought of federal employees with zero law enforcement training roaming across our nation’s transportation infrastructure with the hope of randomly thwarting a domestic terrorist attack makes about as much sense as EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson’s Environmental Justice tour. Forbes

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:04 AM

Commercial motor vehicles are not governed by state laws when it comes to stopping and checking them.

Interstate commercial vehicles are subject to all interstate regulations and the regulations of the state they are currently within.

Some companies stay within a single state and are subject to that state's laws only.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:06 AM
a reply to: RomeByFire

For being harassed and degraded with the possibility of being killed or jailed for absolutely no reason like LEO's like to do.

Like the lottery in reverse.

Also it makes governmental intrusion seem more natural. Like a subliminal.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:30 AM
a reply to: Mianeye

Folks should look out for themselves more.
Look both ways before starting at a green light for instance.
Watch out for blind spots.
Don't park on the side of the interstate.
Don't drive in someone else's reaction space except to pass them quickly.
When traffic is slowed down don't pass anybody-- then no stop and go will happen.

Drunk drivers should be prosecuted like any other criminal, if they cause damage. Otherwise drunk driving is encouraged by lighter sentencing.

The cost of rights is responsibilities.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:38 AM
I took a few minutes to collect some material I thought people might find interesting on this. It definitely is 100% related to trucks (and sometimes commercial busses) only. It's got nothing to do with cars and it's a specially funded and run 'event' for inspections.

For people not familiar with what truck scales look like, I captured these of a scale house I recall quite well despite being off the road a few years. Tehachapi.

(The first one shows how it's totally separate by on/off ramps from the main highway or interstate)

(The Yellow circles highlight the truck parking or 'penalty box' for those with violations. The red is the inspection bay/garage.)

(and this is what it looks like from highway level just passing by. Thats the inspection bay again on the right and the largest building for that facility.)

Now I didn't care for these things and usually found this time of year a dandy time to take a week off. My sons Birthday is in a few days anyway and as the OP says, it's an annual event (roughly for date range). Still, these are necessary and important. The reason? I found something for that too....

That's what it looks like when a driver is right on the edge of losing control of their truck. I'm guessing, but that looks a lot like the hill above Salt Lake City and he was in real trouble if that was the location. Anyway, brakes out of adjustment has been one of the most common violations. Smoking brakes, as that's called, can be caused by driver error (most often, IMO), mechanical failure (not often at all) and brake adjustment problems. (Auto adjustment usually does it...but then, that check usually gets in the mail too, right?)

Anyway, part of the law and part of the job with trucking is being subject to inspection on demand, at any time. It's just the way that area of transportation works. Again, not entirely a bad thing because there ARE plenty of drivers on the road who really need to be in fast food or ditch digging. Anything but trucking. It's nowhere near enough to bother with looking up a % for, but in that line of work? ONE serious mistake can get people killed.

These inspections are a key way the bad apples get picked, so to speak.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 02:30 AM

originally posted by: Semicollegiate

Commercial motor vehicles are not governed by state laws when it comes to stopping and checking them.

Interstate commercial vehicles are subject to all interstate regulations and the regulations of the state they are currently within.

Some companies stay within a single state and are subject to that state's laws only.

I am referring to the differences / requirements to stop a commercial motor vehicle and a private vehicle. Commercial motor vehicles fall under federal guidelines when it comes to the regulation / checks on those vehicles. A commercial motor vehicle will have an ICC / DOT / etc number on the side of their cabs.

Right now State Police / Highway Patrol generally are the primary entities that do these checks. When the TSA was created it was given primary jurisdiction over airport as well as bus companies (greyhound) / rail road (Amtrack) / Commercial motor vehicle enforcement. The TSA concentrated on airports because of 9/11.

Tennessee is the testing ground for what are called Viper units. It is TSA in marked patrol vehicles with authority only to stop commercial motor vehicles.

Of course all vehicles must meet state law requirements. In this area though its guided by Federal Law (the checkpoints being discussed) and how it does not apply to private vehicles. Some people may have noticed that their respective state police / highway patrol will have dedicated units with officers that wear a different style uniform (MO was like this until recently). Because a commercial vehicle can be stopped without RS / PC they could use special officers to deal with that portion.

Missouri recently streamlined all of that and merged water patrol into one entity with highway patrol. they finally converted all of those officers over to fully commissioned officers.

As always due diligence in your own state before deciding you don't have to stop for someone trying to pull you over.
edit on 26-5-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 02:35 AM
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

To add some more info.

People living in border states with Mexico will most likely start seeing an increase in commercial motor vehicle checks. When NAFTA was formed, it allowed Mexican commercial vehicles (semi trucks / 18 wheelers) the ability to transport directly to the destination instead of being required to drop their load at a border station for a US / Canadian carrier to pick up and continue.

Reason for the restriction was the difference in safety standards / requirements for those vehicles in the US / Canada. Mexico had a lower standard and for the longest time was restricted to about a 100 miles from the border. There has been legal issues surrounding it because of NAFTA and Mexico finally won that battle.

As a note I am referring to Federal safety standards that govern commercial motor vehicles and not Border Patrol / Customs / Immigration checks.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:10 PM
While I appreciate the efforts of the "expert" members of ATS to lead us away from our "paranoid" stupidity, I will take this opportunity to bring a little back country reality to the discussion.

As hard as it may be for SOME people to realize, there are huge areas of the US that are not serviced by the intestate highway system but that still see very high numbers of commercial vehicle use. They do safety checks way out here in the hinterlands as well.

Our major two lane highways have wide patches purpose-built in the road way where the state places temporary scales and conducts (dum-de-dum) SAFETY CHECKS. When they do this, you better believe there develop traffic delays. Vehicles can back up a mile or more. Local police forces are dispatched to handle the resulting traffic problems, and I have seen with my own two eyes random checks being conducted against non-commercial vehicles at the same time and locations.

So while you most certainly know what the SCOTUS has to say about this or that, the SCOTUS doesn't live out here and things happen a little different in the sticks. Please think before you get all condescending towards other members. You may not be as all-knowing as you think.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 02:01 PM
a reply to: Montana

Law Enforcement cannot randomly search cars. We either need a search incident to arrest(DWI/DUI) consent or a warrant.

Commercial motor vehicles encompass more than just 18 wheelers and is usually denoted with the info on the side of the vehicle in question or by its license plate type (varies state to state).

As for the random checks - You stated you observed. Were you actually present when the officers were talking to the people who were searched? Do you have any other info that places it into context?

Also - law enforcement is not restricted in making a request to people they come into contact with. A person who just ran a stop sign can be stopped and the officer can ask the driver if he can search the car. Its either asked and granted or asked and denied.

If your comments were directed towards me I am trying to provide information people don't normally know about to better explain how some of this tuff works. The comment about paranoia, imo, is based on that lack of knowledge / understanding.

I find it contradictory for people to complain about Law Enforcement and an us verse them mentality while at the same time wanting to lynch a person for being a member of law enforcement and adding to the conversation / debate.

Or did these people who said communication is the key mean communication only in one direction? If people are not willing to learn, or at least listen, then why bitch?

As for what I know and what I think I know - Its one of the main reason I include the statement - Due diligence is required by the person looking at the info as laws / circumstances can change.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 02:42 PM
This is what I mean by random searches:

A series of traffic cones are placed in a roadway to channel vehicles toward points where officers are standing and observing the traffic. Some vehicles are waved through, and others for whatever reason are stopped. I have been waved to a stop twice. Both times I was then asked for driver's license, proof of insurance, and asked the purpose of my travel. The officers then walked around my vehicle looking at it. I assumed they were checking for violations of some type.

Both times they found nothing and I was told to go on my way.

Since I am unaware of how they could possibly have determined who was going to be driving the road that day, and that I was told it was a "safety" check, I would call this a random search. Feel free to use what ever term you like.

They were doing the inspections of commercial vehicles about a quarter mile further up the road and to the sides.

ETA: I haven't been stopped for "safety" checks the last time or two I have had the pleasure of traveling the wrong road at the wrong time. The only difference I can think of is I now use veteran license plates. hmmm Cheaper and they save me 20 minutes a year. Go Navy!
edit on 5/26/2014 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 03:56 PM

What state do you reside in / did this occur in and what year did it happen?

Aside from commercial motor vehicles a "safety check" is not valid to stop someone.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 04:11 PM

I live in Montana, of course!

And they have happened for many years. I guess I haven't seen a check point in two or three years, but I don't know if that is because they stopped doing them or I just have been lucky.

When confronted, the officers claim cause but are very tight lipped over what exactly it is.

Still, the point of the OP was be prepared for delay and consider using alternate routes. It was not pigs are scum. Could I ask why you decided to interpret my comments that way and start handing out insults and speaking condescendingly? I have to say you seem pretty thin skinned about things.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 04:19 PM

For what it's worth and from someone who has both lived in Montana for a bit and now married to someone from Montana to love the state? Montana had a reputation among drivers on the road who knew it enough to have an opinion, something close to California. (I say it that way because, as you know, Montana isn't on a major traffic lane for cross country it takes some creative self-routing to get through that state for most companies)

That's by no means a good thing, and it only extended to Montana state police and DOT that I ever heard anyone say, but it sure did for them. The general sentiment I heard was simply that Montana scales may not be open often (and they weren't that I saw) but when they are? They DO work them like they are trying to build a score or something, and mercy is for other, weaker states to show. lol....

It's a quirky thing, given how beautiful 'Big Sky' country is in every OTHER way I saw. I don't doubt your story about cars being screwed with though. Not there. I doubt that would have passed a Constitutional test for much, but how many there are going to push anything like that, that far?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 04:30 PM
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

In Montana, Mercy shows YOU!

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 04:33 PM

Ain't that the truth?

That's why I'm in Misery now, not Montana. At least Misery is hot while I'm miserable. I couldn't do snow on the 4th of July. When I bet my wife it wouldn't..couldn't...nawww!!..and it did?? Well, I knew that wasn't a land for me.

Still, I think of it as one of the most free and friendly in the nation. Well...friendly if someone doesn't start with an attitude anyway...or mention they're from California. (Learned that last one real well inside the 1st week! lol)

new topics

<< 1    3 >>