It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retired Army General Explains Why We Lost in Afghanistan and Iraq

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
We lost because our political leaders lack the intestinal fortitude to win.

2nd

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
We could have won in Vietnam, and in the ME....problem is, we would have to level the entire country in order to get to the cockroaches hiding behind the innocent.

I don't agree with the wording. We didn't lose these wars, we just failed to accomplish our objectives. If we were to simply want to submit another country, we could do it without stepping foot in it.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: lambs to lions

We didn't lose these wars, we just failed to accomplish our objectives.

Erm hate to break it too you...,.thats losing!

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
We purposefully failed to achieve our objectives, because they were lies. The real objectives where to leave both countries ruled by a oligarchy, and in dismay/corrupt.

Basically those two elements ensure that we always get to manipulate them.
edit on 25-5-2014 by lobograndemalo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

In Afganistan it was basicaly a punative action to warn any nation that allowed terrorist who are going to target the US what would happen.

I guess the Saudis are good listeners.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Who's next?

Today's NeoCons prefer an war on Syria,Iran and Iraq again.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
how many americans realize that the US could have 'won' in Afganistan if only Obama simply declared 'victory' after 'killing' Osama. All he had to do was stand in front of a banner saying 'mission accomplished and say 'we won we are going home'. Instead he managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: lambs to lions

We could have won in Vietnam

Correction no you couldn't win in Vietnam. Did the people in Vietnam asked for America for them to be occupied by America's military?

We didn't lose these wars, we just failed to accomplish our objectives. If we were to simply want to submit another country, we could do it without stepping foot in it.

wow are you for serious? America didn't lose these wars, America just failed to accomplish our objectives? and those objectives are what again?

If we were to simply want to submit another country, we could do it without stepping foot in it

Seriously? what other country do you want to take over or invade?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
We didn't lose anything. To decide if something is lost ... you have to look at the mission and see if the mission was completed. The missions declared for both Iraq and Afghanistan were completed.

The Iraq Mission - get Iraq to comply with UN Resolutions in regard to weapons inspections. We invaded to enforce the UN resolutions, but did not declare war. The Iraqis themselves put Saddam on trial and executed him. The US and other forces helped the Iraqis secure their country so that they could install a new government and then take over security themselves. They may or may not be doing a good job with security, but the mission was to get them to be responsible for it and this has happened. This was all accomplished. No war was lost.

The Afghanistan Mission - Remove Taliban from power; install new non-terrorist friendly government; remove Afghanistan as a safe haven for Al Qaeda terrorists. All this was accomplished. Hamid Karsai was installed; terrorists nearly wiped out in the settled parts of Afghanistan and sent fleeing to Pakistan; and security was being handed over to Afghanis who are training with NATO. Nothing was lost. Recently Hamid Karzai has been siding with the Al Qaeda/Taliban again. It's to be expected. There is no honor among those folks ... sides are easily bought.

NATO Current Mission in Afghanistan

NATO’s primary objective in Afghanistan is to enable the Afghan government to provide effective security across the country and develop new Afghan security forces to ensure Afghanistan can never again become a safe haven for terrorists.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agent_USA_Supporter
a reply to: intrptr

Who's next?

Today's NeoCons prefer an war on Syria,Iran and Iraq again.

They never learn, huh?

I thought all the "Neos" were busy with Ukraine now? Sort of a Syria 2? Once you start a fire in a dry forest it burns hot by itself. Another country disrupted and on fire. Mission accomplished.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

We could have won in Vietnam, and in the ME...We didn't lose these wars, we just failed to accomplish our objectives.
Uh-Huh...photo of the U.S. 'failing to accomplish objectives' in Viet Nam:

There are some wars you can't win. Funny though...they are the ones that seem to be the most profitable. Trick is to bail before the cannon fodder catches on.

originally posted by: FlyersFan
We didn't lose anything. To decide if something is lost ... you have to look at the mission and see if the mission was completed. The missions declared for both Iraq and Afghanistan were completed.
The mission was for a small bunch of people to make a large amount of money. Mission accomplished. To any other measure, both wars were monstrous debacles.
edit on 26-5-2014 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because!

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Americans invading Iraq and Afghanistan was by no means a "war" of any kind...That was done solely for profit and geopolitical positioning.And it was the starting point for an ongoing cold war with the Russians and Chinese....It was also done to confront and sandwich Iran so they do not think of any funny thoughts against the western powers and Israel in particular...One doesn't loose when they invade another country and face opposition,they simply withdraw if they wish to,but they definitely loose in the popularity contest around the world,and no one takes them seriously the next time they talk about freedom or human rights or anything else in that nature.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

They were responsible for 911 just like Saddam!!! We had to make the world a better place!!! They're all "terrorists"!!!!

(turns off sarcasm)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

North Korea, Iran, Syria would be a good start. No need to occupy though, just lay waste to the disease that currently inhabits leadership. And, anyone who supports or agrees with their leadership. Is it tyranny? Yes. Is it forcing my world view upon others? Yes. Does it mean collateral death? Yes.

That's my opinion, I feel no need to sugar coat or be careful to not hurt someone's feelings.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Were we defeated? No, we withdrew because it was pointless having almost no support from our citizens. It was a pointless war to begin with. However, we 'lose' conflicts like this because we don't have the stomach to do what is necessary.

Do you think we could have bombed that country into submission. Yes we could.

We have yet to be defeated by any nations military force. Don't be ridiculous.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

North Korea, Iran, Syria would be a good start. No need to occupy though, just lay waste to the disease that currently inhabits leadership. And, anyone who supports or agrees with their leadership. Is it tyranny? Yes. Is it forcing my world view upon others? Yes. Does it mean collateral death? Yes.

That's my opinion, I feel no need to sugar coat or be careful to not hurt someone's feelings.
Iran and Syria have done nothing to deserve being bombed to oblivion...On the other hand US and the UK constantly have terrorized,sabotaged,sanctioned and interfered in the ME affairs particularly in Iran during the past decades if not centuries...Lets check out some facts before spewing fear and propaganda.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Remember WMD's?

LOL

Bet you it wouldnt take much to find posts on here from people that actualy supported these moronic occupations.

Deny ignorance, haha.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Fair enough and of course our lad's over there also tried to help set up infrastructure to show the poeple a better way to live and to allow education to a people whom overwhealmingly even against the will of there elders want to be educated which is something the Taliban do not want as it will inhibit there ability to foist there own propeganda on a people whom are able to compare note's.
Still even the Ruski's tried to create structure for the population (All be it communist system) and then unlike us they trashed much of it on the way out.
There is an entire Nation and subdivided into several ethnicity's in that country and afghanistan is of course a huge territory as well as very difficult terrain so the fact our lad's (American and British as well as NATO) are not running with there tails between there leg's for the border is a victory of sort's and perhaps the Taliban warlords can be bought off as they used to be when they where merely native insergant's but then they also argue over territory and take the Islam flag and Turbans away and all they really are is big gun toting Gang's whom have allied themselve's to Alkiwhateveritisspelt not so much for religious reasons as for mutual strength, these warlords are business men after all and the main market for there poison is the west.
To be honest Afghansitant give's me a headache as it is a true gordian knot but one that can not be easily cut.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

The Iraq Mission - get Iraq to comply with UN Resolutions in regard to weapons inspections. We invaded to enforce the UN resolutions, but did not declare war. The Iraqis themselves put Saddam on trial and executed him. The US and other forces helped the Iraqis secure their country so that they could install a new government and then take over security themselves. They may or may not be doing a good job with security, but the mission was to get them to be responsible for it and this has happened. This was all accomplished. No war was lost.

The Afghanistan Mission - Remove Taliban from power; install new non-terrorist friendly government; remove Afghanistan as a safe haven for Al Qaeda terrorists. All this was accomplished. Hamid Karsai was installed; terrorists nearly wiped out in the settled parts of Afghanistan and sent fleeing to Pakistan; and security was being handed over to Afghanis who are training with NATO. Nothing was lost. Recently Hamid Karzai has been siding with the Al Qaeda/Taliban again. It's to be expected. There is no honor among those folks ... sides are easily bought.

NATO Current Mission in Afghanistan

NATO’s primary objective in Afghanistan is to enable the Afghan government to provide effective security across the country and develop new Afghan security forces to ensure Afghanistan can never again become a safe haven for terrorists.

I'd suggest you read " Dirty Wars " by Jeremy Scahill. It may sway your opinions on Americas Agenda. I do not mean to offend you however " Nothing was lost. ' ... Karzai has been siding with Al Qaeda/Taliban again. It's to be expected. Mission accomplished ? There is no honor among those folks .... " Really ? Once again, please read" Dirty Wars " Then we can discuss the word honor as it applies to Americans Foreign Policy. I'm American and your talking points are pulled directly from the MSM propaganda which they parrot from the very individuals who initiate these uninvited attacks on Sovereign Nations. America was previously viewed as the "Good Guys " This is unfortunately no ( with cause ) longer the case.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I would venture to guess he really doesn't "Tell it like it is".

What has happened in Iraq and Afghanistan is simply tearing the country up enough to allow multi-national corporations and banks to come in and repair the damage.

As a humanitarian gesture, of course, yeah, outta the sheer massive amount of goodness and concern for the "good of the many" that banks and corporations have for real live people.

YUP!!!...

Then they are there to stay, to exploit the resources the country possesses to repay a debt, while simultaneously "Americanizing" the population to be helpless like we are here.

To turn them into moo-cow con-summers, dependent on useless garbage when they were more independent before.

!!!PROPAGANDA!!!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join