a reply to: Kali74
Honestly Kali I do feel badly. I'd love to see something along these lines happen. At first I was all gung-ho for Solar Freaking Roadways, but I had
a few concerns. But still, I'd love to something like this tried. But, I happened on the above video and a whole heap of things I hadn't even
considered started to crop up....
Honestly, I'd much prefer to see the above road option because of these points.
1. Above the road won't be damaged over time by traffic.
2. Not in shade when the freeways turn into the inevitable traffic jam.
3. Give the ability to provide free downward facing lighting. This cuts light pollution as well!
4. Far cheaper to install, and maintain and add onto existing roads with little traffic disruption overall.
5. Far better visibility because rain and snow and ice and hail is ALL no longer going to cause problems for vehicles due to new protections.
6. Now that roads no longer suffer water damage, things like pot holes will be reduced!
7. Any lit up digital signage will be able to hang under the solar panels in shade, which now will be easy to see because they will no longer be in
8. Power/data lines would now be easily installed/hidden/maintained or updated. Tidy!
9. Sadly though, it wont look quite like Freaking Tron out there.
10. I'd love to see the idea but have a nature stip arc over the road say every 1/2 kilometer so that animals will be able to cross over the roads
safely. I'd hope they nature breaks (in my head) would be around 100 meters wide, and well planted to make animal crossing as comfortable as it could
be for animals and/or people etc. Although my version would cost a tonne more money than the simple shed-roof-solar panel idea. But I think it would
Actually, now I think about it, the above shed/panel could now have a light traffic path on the side for bicyclists!
So I really take no joy in being negative (in your eyes) - in fact I'm quite the opposite. I'm very keen on the idea but it needs careful thinking
and a half hour discussion going over things properly far better educated me on the pro's/cons, so I've adjusted my thoughts on how something similar
can be done.
So please don't lose faith in the idea, rather be flexible, positive and most importantly - realistic.
edit on 5-6-2014 by Qumulys because:
(no reason given)