It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to Congress - Aliens Exist.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Even if life is extremely rare, it seems to me the universe is so unimaginably huge that other life is almost surely out there.

I don't disagree. Its more or less an intuitive knowledge....unless that is just a delusion.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: compressedFusion

You posted the same reference on May, 3 2014 in the following thread Show Proof of the Existence of ONE Alien Being. Did you happen to see my response? I have pasted it here for your convenience with some minor edits.

Yes, I read your response. I was going to reply but got side tracked. I don't disagree with anything you said and appreciate your criticism of the article. You may be right on that point. There are quite a few articles on that paper. That one just happens to link to the actual paper.

Expectation of extraterrestrial life built more on optimism than evidence, study finds

Extraterrestrial life could be extremely rare

Notion of extraterrestrial life more whimsical than factual?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

If the distance between us and the closest other intelligent life is so large that we will never come in contact with them and vice-versa, then we could consider that being alone.

Why do we always seem to equate life in general to mean intelligent life. Hell earth as perfect as it is for life got it right once in 4.5 billion years, but everyone seems to think intelligent life is somehow a common form of life....

Also both Mars and Venus are great examples of what happens when a planet is just slightly off even though they are within the Drake zone too.

I'm not sure what would be rarer in the universe, an intelligent space faring species or a planet that is so perfect it allows higher forms of life to evolve.

It is amazing how much goes into our environment to allow advance life of any kind to evolve. Even something such as not having our moon would not allow advance life to form due to the more extreme environment we would have, or that if we didn't have Jupiter we would not have the vacuum cleaner to allow 70 million years between life resets instead of a much shorter time period that would not allow evolution to do its thing.

A lot goes into this whole aspect of what it takes for advance life to form over just simple life in general that I think most do not even think about...now add intelligent space faring life into the equation and I think you would need a lot of scratch offs winners in a row to make that happen.

edit on 29-5-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Also both Mars and Venus are great examples of what happens when a planet is just slightly off even though they are within the Drake zone too. 
a reply to: Xtrozero

You made some interesting points there. Planets could be home to a bunch of vegetation. But thats still considered life even if its not intelligent. Or imagine a 100% water covered planet... Whatever is swimming around probably isnt leaving soon. All you have to do is imagine the many forms of life on our planet to understand the possibilities. Life in frozen tundra. Life hugged up to hydrothermal vents. We have it all on earth. But we still may be frightened of extraterrestrial life.... either way its out there

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I quoted your reference to mars and venus because I was going to mention that mars could have been home to some sort of life in the past. Thats just an opinion of course but its a nice thought. Maybe we came from mars? Maybe life is still hiding on mars...or inside.. we may never know

edit on 29-5-2014 by DarkAngel8 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarkAngel8
I quoted your reference to mars and venus because I was going to mention that mars could have been home to some sort of life in the past. Thats just an opinion of course but its a nice thought. Maybe we came from mars? Maybe life is still hiding on mars...or inside.. we may never know

There is life on mars or was and I am pretty sure we will find it or at lease evidence of past life, but the important factor is it will not be much greater than very simple life forms, and that will most likely be the norm throughout the universe unless the planet provides an earth like condition to actually allow life to evolve into complex life forms over many 100 millions of years.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Okay, so aside from all this infinity and lottery talk, back on the topic of aliens existing or not. You could always ask yourself the simple question, and I'm sure you have, that beings it happened here, why would you assume it wouldn't happen elsewhere given the same conditions? And I'm sure the universe is big enough for those same conditions to occur more times then I can possibly fathom.

Here's a little clip that you might be interested in, if it hasn't already been posted. The part from around 6:10 to at least 7:30 is particularly interesting, whether it's true or not though, I guess we'll never know. The observable universe is vast enough for life to have formed elsewhere anyway imo.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 7918465230

You could always ask yourself the simple question, and I'm sure you have, that beings it happened here, why would you assume it wouldn't happen elsewhere given the same conditions?

Generally we do assume that life, even intelligent life exists elsewhere. Given the size of the known universe, it does "seem" impossible to "imagine" life not to exist elsewhere. The problem is declaring that a certainty in mathematical terms. I don't think there is a way to do that. Probability is based on known outcomes. If we know of something occurring only once, there is no way to determine probability. So for me, I believe life exists elsewhere because it just has to. I also understand that this is just a belief and could possibly be wrong. So really, I don't know.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Dutch Scientists Just Shattered Our Conception Of How Information Will Travel In The Future

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

finance.yahoo.com...

The truth is out there
edit on 30-5-2014 by SV8500 because: .

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: igor_ats

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
The scary thing would be that there is no other life in the Universe

Won't religious folk, like creationists, see that as a positive?

No superior intelligence to tell them how the universe was really formed and so on.

Forgive me, but that is such a worn out cliche. What if this superior intelligence told us the Universe was burped out of the mouth of the all seeing toad - would that prove how it was really formed? What if the first true ET visitation is made up of the galactic branch of Jehovah's witnesses? Mans exploration on this planet has typically been to conquer or convert since time immemorial - maybe they are universal instincts.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Peace,

Korg.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: SV8500
Dutch Scientists Just Shattered Our Conception Of How Information Will Travel In The Future

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

finance.yahoo.com...

The truth is out there

There is a thread here about entanglement. It is erroneous to believe that any communication between two parties can be accomplished by this method.

Harte

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

Off topic, but you have 5,445 posts and almost 26 and a half million stars? So you average 4,846 stars per post? WTF?

Not that it means a damn thing, but that's a little suspect.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: 7918465230

Off topic, but you have 5,445 posts and almost 26 and a half million stars? So you average 4,846 stars per post? WTF?

Seems like ufology isn't the only research being done around here. LOL!

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
There's life beyond our world, of course, there must be! Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that a sentient race of any type of organism would be wholly evil or wholly good. I'd like to think they'd have the intensive diversity of attitude to other life that humans have (vegans / warmongers etc.).

So, Drake Equation taken into consideration, the no. of sentient races out there that are possibly way beyond our current understanding of physics (bending space-time / inter-dimensional travel permitting (?) we may well be perceived as, like some here have suggested; a quarantined race (and quite rightly; teething problems, psychotic & the like); deemed as yet unfit to 'play with'. And yes, there is a possibility that we are considered as currently insignificant.

I always like to get into the perceptions of an ant when attempting to consider the humans that stride so imperceptibly over them. How or what do they perceive us as (if at all)? What does a chimpanzee think when it is taken out of its natural habitat only to be brought to a zoo or a lab many miles from its home? If it is ever returned to its natural habitat, would its relatives believe the wild, alien tales it had to tell? We are in danger of not broadening our sights beyond that which we directly experience. Arthur C Clarke: 'Magic's just science we don't understand yet.'
edit on 3052014 by JackintheHood because: additional data

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: 7918465230
a reply to: Harte

LOL! I know, right?

Truth is, I hacked into ATS and gave myself all those stars!

No, I think the old point system translated into star counts when the changeover was made.

Just a guess, though.

Harte

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
There are many civilizations, it would take ages to count them and by then there would be so many more it would take more ages so it's almost uncountable even if it can be viewed as there are an X number of civilizations out there, some spacefaring and some not.

The problem with Earth is many do not follow the laws of nature and this makes it difficult to establish contact since in the worst case scenario aliens could get possesed and evil human beings from our planet would try to seize their ships, technology, weapons, even their souls, minds, everything. Earth is very much a black hole if you will and many have tried not to be seen again. So everyone can discuss it all they want but actual contact is unlikely and if made it's probably with even more evil beings.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join