It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to Congress - Aliens Exist.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on May, 25 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Congress decided to spend some time figuring out whether intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, and they learned that yes, it does. Two top astronomers, Dan Werthimer from the University of California and Seth Shostak of the SETI Institute, testified before congress there is a near 100 percent certainty aliens exist. Intelligent life existing in Congress, however, is less likely.

Short RT News video. Seems logical enough.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

Pretty sure some one beat ya to the punch.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE

Ok if so MODS lock thread.
edit on 25/5/14 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
while i agree that the chances are that there is life else where in the universe.
there is no way they can say for certain. i have yet to hear any credible evidence that a intelligent life from has came up to any one and said hey how ya doing, or any radio or any other from of contact.

so there can not be a 100% certainty that other life exists.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Well, to play devil's advocate or water bearer (depending on the culture), the two scientists were appearing before Congress in order to obtain more funding and keep their children clothed and eating. So they do have a bias in favor of "sure, life abounds, and if you give us another funding cycle we may just find it for ya!"

+5 more 
posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The possibility should be common knowledge now.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
No doubt from me Aliens exist in our Galaxy and the Universe the big question is do they know we exist.

a reply to: ArtemisE

Then please post a link to that thread.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
They are just after funding for the next 10 years, they are getting as bad as Steven Greer.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The Drake equation is a probabilistic argument used to estimate the number of active, communicative extraterrestrial civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy.

en.wikipedia.org...

You can use this site to enter your variables and it will calculate it for you.

www.fennzart.com...

Even lowballing the values, as I just did, yielded me 45,000 communicating civilizations in the galaxy. Just our galaxy, the Milky Way. The most current estimates guess that there are 100 to 200 billion galaxies in the Universe, each of which has hundreds of billions of stars. A recent German supercomputer simulation put that number even higher: 500 billion. In other words, there could be a galaxy out there for every star in the Milky Way.

Couple that with:

"There are only so many ways matter can arrange itself within that infinite universe. Eventually, matter has to repeat itself and arrange itself in similar ways. So if the universe is infinitely large, it is also home to infinite parallel universes."

-from www.npr.org...

I love thinking about multiverses... and the obvious fact (still my opinion I guess) we cannot be alone.
edit on 5 25 2014 by JohnTheSmith because: Called an opinion a fact

edit on 5 25 2014 by JohnTheSmith because: ETA

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Nice pdf from NASA:

www.nasa.gov...
Concerning how to make contact with ET.

Now logic once again:

Drakes Formula. Note we're in infinity with infinite recycling of stars through black holes and systems. Not a big bang system. But pretending along the 14 billion year cut off, which is ant hill earth science. If only .01% of civilizations make it past war, and inequality, to progress with clean high tech, they would be the masters of the universe, and billions of years ahead of us in technology.

They would terraform every system there is, create artificial planets and life would be abundant everywhere and within barren places, with more ecological diversity than we have on earth, waterfalls, fauna, wildlife.

Pleiades may be young, but ET is not life that evolved naturally anywhere, not after the so called "first" crop made it to the highest levels.

Oh, but strike all that, we're in infinity. Locating "firsts" is a bit hard.

Earth is highly managed, life is highly managed, souls are managed. Sometimes management changes hands in the mid to lower portions for a time.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnTheSmith
The Drake equation is a probabilistic argument used to estimate the number of active, communicative extraterrestrial civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy.

en.wikipedia.org...

You can use this site to enter your variables and it will calculate it for you.

www.fennzart.com...

Even lowballing the values, as I just did, yielded me 45,000 communicating civilizations in the galaxy. Just our galaxy, the Milky Way. The most current estimates guess that there are 100 to 200 billion galaxies in the Universe, each of which has hundreds of billions of stars. A recent German supercomputer simulation put that number even higher: 500 billion. In other words, there could be a galaxy out there for every star in the Milky Way.

Couple that with:

"There are only so many ways matter can arrange itself within that infinite universe. Eventually, matter has to repeat itself and arrange itself in similar ways. So if the universe is infinitely large, it is also home to infinite parallel universes."

-from www.npr.org...

I love thinking about multiverses... and the obvious fact (still my opinion I guess) we cannot be alone.

except the last 4 variables are completely unknown which makes the entire thing rather pointless.

from wiki on the variable fl

there is no evidence for abiogenesis occurring more than once on the Earth —that is, all terrestrial life stems from a common origin. If abiogenesis were more common it would be speculated to have occurred more than once on the Earth. Scientists have searched for this by looking for bacteria that are unrelated to other life on Earth, but none have been found yet.[42] It is also possible that life arose more than once, but that other branches were out-competed, or died in mass extinctions, or were lost in other ways. Biochemists Francis Crick and Leslie Orgel laid special emphasis on this uncertainty: "At the moment we have no means at all of knowing" whether we are "likely to be alone in the galaxy (Universe)" or whether "the galaxy may be pullulating with life of many different forms."

edit on 25-5-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Of course scientists are going to say that aliens exist somewhere in the universe. They are certain that saying this can increase their chances of getting more funding for space exploration. I doubt if aliens would allow us to get outside this solar system if they are advanced. We do not have a peaceful track record. We are destroyers.

Until we can overcome this tendency, which may be impossible, the aliens will not give us any help. Every leap in technology seems to bring more destruction to our environment indirectly. We build more efficient jets, and people are flying more. We build our ability to make more energy with nuclear power plants and we boost our energy consumption. Building nuclear fuel for big plants is not easy on the environment, it may even be worse than burning coal in the long run...but we jumped at it.

I like the comment about not intelligent beings in congress.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If you forget the science for a moment and look at math, the odds are in overwhelming favor for the existence of alien life, almost to the point of certainty.

Let's take what we know already; we exist so the odds are better than zero. And even if our sun is only one in a ten billion that harbors a planet that can support life, that means that at least ten extraterrestrial civilizations could inhabit our galaxy alone, and there are tens of thousands of galaxies...

I believe that there are thousands of civilizations out there, but the sheer distance between stars and galaxies means we'll never meet most of them.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
it's far more likely that there IS a plethora of other life out in the universe, than that there is not.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

Well, to play devil's advocate or water bearer (depending on the culture), the two scientists were appearing before Congress in order to obtain more funding and keep their children clothed and eating. So they do have a bias in favor of "sure, life abounds, and if you give us another funding cycle we may just find it for ya!"

Yes but they have devoted their education and lives to SETI research that already tells you they feel their is good reason to believe their is life out there. So clearly this is not just about money to them.

Life has been found to stay alive in space, it is known that life forms can be moved from planet to space by more than one method of transport such as the finding that glass crystals from impact events can encapsulate and preserve life, if a place on earth has no life, it makes its way and establishes itself there nearly everywhere has life on earth.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
If you forget the science for a moment and look at math, the odds are in overwhelming favor for the existence of alien life, almost to the point of certainty.

Let's take what we know already; we exist so the odds are better than zero. And even if our sun is only one in a ten billion that harbors a planet that can support life, that means that at least ten extraterrestrial civilizations could inhabit our galaxy alone, and there are tens of thousands of galaxies...

I believe that there are thousands of civilizations out there, but the sheer distance between stars and galaxies means we'll never meet most of them.

Yes and if we think about it, life is not existing in some golden area of the planet, they now know the incredible extremes that life flourishes. These forms of life we call extreme here may be the norm on a planet perfect for them, they may have been the ones to develop and become technological. If so many life forms may have an easier time traveling in space then a frail human would.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I doubt if aliens would allow us to get outside this solar system if they are advanced. -

That thought assumes they are on a mission and keeping watch on all inhabited planets, that is quite a leap.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Seth Shostak:

we can sit around and have a lot of drinks and talk about it but in the end, if you don't do the experiment, you'll just continue to have the drinks...

Basically asking for funding is my opinion. There is life out there but I agree that the funding must go on to actually find it.

In the same line of thought, I fully disagree with Stephen Hawkin's point of view on the matter.

S&F.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

The idea that life is common in the universe is based on the materialistic idea that life arises spontaneously from matter. I don't agree. Life probably does exist out there but it may be extremely rare.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SonoftheSun
Seth Shostak:

In the same line of thought, I fully disagree with Stephen Hawkin's point of view on the matter.

S&F.

Why? Even with us, do you think we would be the nice alien, or do think we would rape, pillage, plunder and eat their planet into a lifeless hulk?

We don't have a very good track record so far and we are talking about our own planet/species.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join