It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2014 Crude death rate. Why isn't the USA at the top of the list with all our guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
This latest shooting at UC Santa Barbra has brought out the gun control talk again, and it got me thinking about the crude death rate in the USA compared to the rest of the world.

For those who don't know what the crude death rate is it compares the average annual number of deaths during a year per 1,000 population

There is a list here that shows the crude death rate for all countries.

Now you would think with all the rhetoric about gun control and mass shootings and how violent we are we would be at the top of that list or close to it right?

We would at least have more deaths per 1000 people than say The United Kingdom right. They cops don't even have guns there.

Well go figure The USA is right in the middle of the pack ranked 95th with 8.15 deaths per 1000 people

The United Kingdom where they don't even allow guns is 60th with 9.34
www.cia.gov...
couple other notables
#1 South Africa with 17.49

Russia #10 13.83

Canada #90 8.31

I know this is all deaths by whatever means but I think if guns were really that big a problem we would be a lot higher on that list.
edit on 25-5-2014 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Comparing a first-world country with some of the best health care anywhere with countries where infectious diseases still wipe out large chunks of the population before they leave childhood?

Yeah that makes sense!

Why not compare the homicide rate rather than the crude death rate? Or even, y'know, the numbers of deaths caused by guns?

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rob48

Comparing a first-world country with some of the best health care anywhere with countries where infectious diseases still wipe out large chunks of the population before they leave childhood?

Yeah that makes sense!

Why not compare the homicide rate rather than the crude death rate? Or even, y'know, the numbers of deaths caused by guns?

Wait a minute I only compared it with The United KIngdom which last time I checked had great health care.

And half the time it's people from The United Kingdom telling us to control our guns.

eta There is all kinds of first world countries on that list with more deaths per 1000 people than the USA btw

Like Canada and Japan and France and Italy

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
NO links... nothing???

Why crude death rate??

What is the connection between crude death rate and guns???

This makes no sense.

Cops do have guns in the UK.

WHat year was these figures taken from?

edit on 25-5-2014 by greavsie1971 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: greavsie1971

there is a link click the here in my op lol

I am just trying to say if there is so many gun deaths and so much gun violence in the USA why does it not reflect in the crude death rate.

link   
Now compare the number of mass shootings and you'll find the U.S. at number 1

link   
But police using obscenely excessive force get ignored in the media. This proves the agenda to deceive, and that confiscation, so criminally minded and criminal acheivments by our corrupt pool of politicians will not have to worry about being punished by angry mobs with guns. It is what they fear. It is the true reason to use every opportunity to invoke more gun laws that won't and don't do anything except take guns away from the only ones who respect laws and decency..
Our politicians including the president certainly do not respect our laws.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: greavsie1971

The only place in the UK where cops carry guns is Northern Ireland. And I can see the OP's link just fine.

EDIT: and looking at the list it is quite amazing actually. The United States is #95 on the list, with other 1st world nations such as Sweden, Japan, the UK, Italy, France, Spain, and Russia having higher crude death rates.
edit on 25/5/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   

eta There is all kinds of first world countries on that list with more deaths per 1000 people than the USA btw

Like Canada and Japan and France and Italy

And are those figures adjusted for the demographics of those countries? No. Countries with an older population will see more deaths. Why do you think the Gulf states are right at the bottom of the list? Lots of young migrant workers making up a large chunk of the population.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   

best check that link cos it aint showing on my pc. lol.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

The only place in the UK where cops carry guns is Northern Ireland. And I can see the OP's link just fine.

EDIT: and looking at the list it is quite amazing actually. The United States is #95 on the list, with other 1st world nations nations such as Sweden, Japan, the UK, Italy, France, Spain, and Russia having higher crude death rates.

That is BS. Im in England I see guns on the streets in London daily carried by the police. Where are you getting this info from?

I have the link, my privacy was b locking it. Doesn't like the site. ??

LOL, Its a link to CIA. Is this a joke thread?

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   

EDIT: and looking at the list it is quite amazing actually. The United States is #95 on the list, with other 1st world nations nations such as Sweden, Japan, the UK, Italy, France, Spain, and Russia having higher crude death rates.

Only amazing if you don't understand the statistics. The crude death rate will be influenced by all sorts of factors: age of population is a major one.

Look at this list. Notice any correlation?

www.aneki.com...

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   

That is BS. Im in England I see guns on the streets in London daily carried by the police. Where are you getting this info from?

en.wikipedia.org...
www.bbc.com...
www.foreignpolicy.com...

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Given this is such a raw statistic how can anyone draw a parallel between the UK and the US and say it must be down to guns?, perhaps the grim reaper has to put on his bullet proof armour before visiting the US so they get to live for a bit longer

There may be many reasons for the difference, climate as most seem to head to the warmer states as they retire where as in the UK theres not much difference between north and south UK overall

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Only amazing if you don't understand the statistics. The crude death rate will be influenced by all sorts of factors: age of population is a major one.

Look at this list. Notice any correlation?

www.aneki.com...

Where is the UK on that list?

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Gun Control talk already starting? I'd laugh if the basic situation that spawned it wasn't so tragic.

I mean, it's not like every major law since the Stockton Schoolyard Massacre hasn't just chopped those gun crimes right down for the Golden State, right? They ARE among the most strict in the nation for firearms and all regs related to them.

They should be damn near crime free. Especially since they run their own entry inspection stations like no other state quite does. They really could stop much of the gun flow from outside too, if they chose to....that'd fix it.

....or maybe...

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...
www.bbc.com...
www.foreignpolicy.com...

When were you last in a british airport or train station?

In fact, when were you last in the UK. Im british and see cops with guns all the time at the above locations.

Also cops have guns in most Eu countries, these figures do not reflect that either.

You need to use relevent figures.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
So, according to these figures, Italy is worse than North Korea?

You need to use more relevent data.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   

23rd. What is your point?

That list only shows the top 25.

Here is a slightly older list

en.wikipedia.org...

Note that the first-world countries that appear high on the death rate list are also high on the list of median age. That suggests that in developed nations (where disease, war etc is less of an issue), it is age that is a major factor in the death rate, as you would expect.

The UK has a median age nearly 4 years higher than the USA.

By the way not that it is really relevant but there are plenty of armed police in the UK. I see them all the time on London.

edit on 25-5-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

23rd. What is your point?

It would only let me look at the top 10. where is the USA on that list?

eta nevermind lol

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join