It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Inspired by Terminator’: Scientists create self-assembling bionic particles.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This is pretty cool, but kind of alarming to

The world took one significant step closer to inventing a real-life cybernetic organism as US scientists, inspired by the Terminator movie, combined organic matter with semiconductors in a process that replicates plants’ transformation of light into fuel.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the whole prosess .

their bionic approach is a true step forward, as it combines two of the most important features of its components – the strength of inorganic materials – which convert light into electronic energy – with biological molecules, whose chemical attributes bring those mechanical processes to life.

The components are, respectably, cadmium telluride and cytochrome C. The semiconductor drinks in the sunlight and turns it into an electron, while the cytochrome C transports that electron in a process of photosynthesis.

The nanoparticles and molecules function together by exchanging electrons. And since the closer the two are, the better, the research team decided to combine the two into a single organism with the ability to act on its own and create particles that turn themselves into super-particles with own functions.

What? Huh?.... I was thinking the same thing .. Lol , this explanation should help you understand the proses a bit better

"We merged biological and inorganic in a way that leverages the attributes of both to get something better than either alone," said U-M's Sharon Glotzer, the Stuart W. Churchill Professor of Chemical Engineering, who led the simulations.

During an experiment, the scientists turned the pollutant nitrate into nitrite and oxygen, proving that bionic particles could harness sunlight to drive chemical reactions.

They believe that the particle, which took a beating from handling the energy, may be able to renew itself – like the plants do.

But what about .....

"These design principles can be used to guide future designs for other bionic systems, starting from the primary building blocks of biological organisms and inorganic machines," Kotov said. "It is very possible that Terminator of the future would need to be constructed starting from such building blocks."

Ah yes .!!.....wait what? Lol... Did anything good ever come from " terminator "........

rt.com...

edit on 0476063154756th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
And on the page you linked, there is another article about self healing plastics... lol

The indestructible Terminator is even closer now...

Mad scientists are like anything else mad... and that is mad.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: NowanKenubi
And on the page you linked, there is another article about self healing plastics... lol

The indestructible Terminator is even closer now...

Mad scientists are like anything else mad... and that is mad.

Haha i didnt notice that , lol thanks for pointing that out!

Has john connor been born yet? :p

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

Ha Ha, maybe he hides behind John Titor?

I wonder if it would be possible, eventually, to replace every cell of the body with these things, or replace some organs with a new system design? Robot stuff and such just took a new turn. And I'll not even mention military applications... yikes.

It is very interesting, and I hope that their will be new limbs built with this, if the cloning of organs and such doesn't work. Imagine having sunbathing as a prescription for it to work... lol

new topics

top topics

join