It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Generation of Drones ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This is in direct rebut to a previous thread I did here: ATS Link
Many argued these pint sized drones were not possible in the near future, much to my disbelief.
Now it seems the future has arrived. . .

The next generation of flying robotic drones may resemble some of nature’s most familiar airborne creatures.
In a special issue of the journal Bioinspiration and Biomimetics, 14 research teams released a number of new experimental drone designs, which reportedly possess exquisite flight control and can overcome many of the problems drones may face when navigating urban terrain.
The researchers said they took their design cues from nature, by closely examining animals such as birds, bats, insects — and even land dwelling snakes.
“Flying animals can be found everywhere in our cities,” guest editor Dr. David Lentink, from Stanford University, wrote in an opening editorial. “From scavenging pigeons to alcohol-sniffing fruit flies that make precision landings on our wine glasses, these animals have quickly learnt how to control their flight through urban environments to exploit our resources.”
According to the report, one of the biggest challenges facing robotic drones is the ability to survive the elements, such as extreme heat, bitter cold and especially strong winds. To overcome this issue, a team of researchers studied hawk moths as they battled different whirlwind conditions in a vortex chamber, in order to harness their superior flight control mechanisms.
Another team from Hungary aimed to mimic the flocking of birds, by developing an algorithm that allows drones to huddle together while flying through the air. And a research team from Harvard constructed a fly-like microbot the size of a one cent coin, which can explore minuscule or very cramped spaces. Just like the ambidextrous insect, the pint-sized robot can take off and land and hover in the air for an extended period of time.

Digital Trends
edit on 5/24/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Our cats will love those. I bet the crows will have a field day with them too. I can see the crows trying to shove one of those down their kids throats.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
If we give permission to the government to fly big drones over our homes they will also have authority to fly these tiny bastards around your yard, maybe around an open window? How many billions of these tiny things can they make or do they have them already?

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
lol i wonder if they've taken the bird issue into account. if these things look too close they are going to need some sort of Anti-Avian defenses installed.

i wonder if there is or has been a think tank discussing how to defend against starlings and sparrows

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
If we give permission to the government to fly big drones over our homes they will also have authority to fly these tiny bastards around your yard, maybe around an open window? How many billions of these tiny things can they make or do they have them already?

Well, a specialized bug zapper with a pulsing electromagnetic pull would cause these things to go into the lite. I wonder if a person can get a patent on a mini-drone zapper?

new topics

top topics

join