It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Redskins say name 'respectful,' suggest Senate Dems don't have all the facts

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

The general consensus seems to be that the rich white people take up a cause like this in order to avoid doing any real work towards improving the general global situation.

It's symbolism over substance.

They work hard to try to change the name of a Football Team.

They lay their head on the pillow feeling like they did something for Native Americans.

The Native's are no better off.

Matter of fact it just continues to erase all references to Native Americans.

Besides, do they call themselves Native Americans ? Or is that the PC name ?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
If Native Americans get upset .... then change it.
If they aren't upset ... then don't worry about it.
Easy peasy.

Whoa, really? If some emos become upset with the custom title in your mini-profile would you change it?

Should you change it if that were to occur?

Should you be forced to change it if it were to upset someone?

And of course I hope everyone realizes I'm not concerned about the "Goth not Emo" title but rather the ramifications of the reply.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

They can change every year. I did find this video regarding Native American responses specifically, they are briefly mentioned. It also looks at possible alternative names and goes over the situation.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

If there is true outrage from Native Americans I would agree.

So far I have seen only enraged people from other races.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Mr Cartman ... while I respect your 'authoritah' ... I must point out a few things ...

- Goth vs Emo ... comeon ... Emos can't be taken seriously. Goth rules. Edgar Allen Poe agrees.

- Native Americans are real life and if they - enmasse - decide that it's racist and offensive, then that is something that should be considered by the team.

- Last I saw, the Native American general population didn't care. So neither should anyone else.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

My concern about this situation is when anyone even implies that anytime someone is offended that means the accused must capitulate.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
My concern about this situation is when anyone even implies that anytime someone is offended that means the accused must capitulate.

I hear ya' and I agree. The point I was making is that if the entire Native American population was ticked .... then the team should consider their issues. BUT the Native Americans aren't ticked so it doesn't matter and doesn't need to be looked at. And I didn't say to change the name ... I just said it would need to be looked at.

I'm thinking this whole thing is a non-issue ... a 'problem' that a politician invented to try to keep himself relevant.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I tend to agree with this sentiment, Flyers Fan and team. The news made mention of Native Americans showing some concern, but I get the feeling even that is to make it to the show.

I was having a hard time finding any convincing interviews of Native Americans or even video blogs by them about the issue on YouTube.
edit on 26pmMon, 26 May 2014 16:48:34 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 26pmMon, 26 May 2014 16:48:45 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Probably your biggest lie.

Because you can't hear the laughter in my voice, see the smile on my face or the twinkle in my eye...

:-)

You take offense it seems if someone addresses you directly. You took offense instead of having a sense of humor - a sense of humor you only seem to have when you're jabbing other people. There's no sparring with you I see

And no discussion either. I'll say it again: put up - or shut up. If you're serious about being here for the discussion (and not just the drive-by, crowd pleasin', anti-leftist bon mots) and you're serious about free speech - then engage - don't run away

You couldn't (or wouldn't) answer a single question of mine - and you called me a liar :-)

Nice - who is it calling names?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

So far I have seen only enraged people from other races.

Why is that less important?

Also - words mean stuff :-)

Red Skins is not exactly the same thing as The Braves, or The Warriors - or The Seminoles, or the Blackhawks...

Anyway - there is outrage from the Native Americans - it just doesn't get reported the same way or to the same extent

Here's a pretty good article - that I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread will read:
Since last fall, Snyder and his staff spoke with 400 tribal leaders, according to his open letter, and started more than 40 projects in Native American communities. As word of their trips trickled back to NCAI headquarters, many tribes reported that team officials did not ask how they felt about the name...

....Snyder’s outreach pleasantly surprised his fellow owners at the NFL meetings in March. Indian country, however, has been more skeptical. “You never took interest in us, going on a few decades,” says Vielle’s daughter, Stephanie, a U.S. Marine veteran who is now attending college at the University of Texas at Arlington. “I’m glad they’re helping us now, but that’s taking advantage of a poor community. It shouldn’t be shut-your-face money.”

It's a very good article - and shows that it's a complicated situation

But to claim that MOST native Americans don't care is not entirely accurate

The name is not intended to honor anybody - but even if that was the original intent, there is nothing honorable about it now. You don't have to be Native American to understand this

edit on 5/27/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

But to claim that MOST native Americans don't care is not entirely accurate

So you are speaking for MOST Native Americans ?

If it's all the same to you. I would rather hear it from them.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Did you read the article?

Did you read anything I said?

I'm guessing not

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
Did you read the article?

Did you read anything I said?

I'm guessing not

No, I didn't and I am not interested in arguing with you.

I will take a hint from Beezer.

Thank you and have a great day.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I am all irish and I get pretty offended everytime Notre Dame is mentioned. Racist bas#ar*s. lol. Seriously though is it not the same thing. I remember hearing the Cleaveland Indians where getting negative attention for their name and have only heard of the redskins last couple of years as having the offensive name. So what happened there? is it the skin thing?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
It's offensive and racist.

Doesn't surprise me that all of the same people defending the use of the name are the same one's bashing the Mexican store owner who took down the American flag and are the same people who bash Muslims on the other threads.

There's a bit of a pattern here, right?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation
Just saw this - pardon my tardiness

In context, it's clear the organization never intended to offend with their choice of Redskins but rather quite the opposite.

How is it clear? Because they say so? :-)

I posted a link to an article - not exactly as simple, cut and dried as people here would like it to be

Now what about that "You people" question?

You mean this?

Whether right or wrong there was a bit of offense taken by some over the phrase "You people". Should that phrase be banned now?

No - of course not. Not sure what you even mean exactly. But I think it's interesting that you think they're the same thing

In fact - I did say earlier that I agreed with you - mostly - that people don't really have the right to not be offended

Do you have a point you're trying to make that I'm missing?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup
It's offensive and racist.

.... so then why aren't the Native Americans offended??

ETA ... take note .... I said that if the Native Americans were upset, then this should be addressed. But apparently, they are not. So the only people getting offended are white people who think they should be offended .... strange.
edit on 5/27/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
So the lesson here is: "Drop all references to Minorities."

Write them out of public life. Don't make ethnically diverse dolls, or your company will get "PC graded" on how badly you missed the mark. Get rid of ethnically diverse cartoons like Speedy Gonzales, or it'll be a caricature. (OMG, a cartoon as a caricature!). Paint all the lawn jockeys white.

You can still have the Minnesota Vikings and Boston Celtics, and Notre Dame fighting Irish; even New York Knickerbockers, wearing the old Dutch Orange.

So the only Minorities you should reference are .... the white ones.

The assumption will be that everyone in the past was white and happy.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: tovenar

So the lesson here is: "Drop all references to Minorities."

Write them out of public life. Don't make ethnically diverse dolls, or your company will get "PC graded" on how badly you missed the mark. Get rid of ethnically diverse cartoons like Speedy Gonzales, or it'll be a caricature. (OMG, a cartoon as a caricature!). Paint all the lawn jockeys white.

You can still have the Minnesota Vikings and Boston Celtics, and Notre Dame fighting Irish; even New York Knickerbockers, wearing the old Dutch Orange.

So the only Minorities you should reference are .... the white ones.

The assumption will be that everyone in the past was white and happy.

Hey buddy...you can have the Redskins.

But you will never get my Lawn Jockey.

You can't come in and insert logic on page 5.

The self appointed "I am superior to everyone else" crowd will pummel you.

Then we will have to watch 3 pages of the weakest high fives you will ever witness.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Seems to me like there's a fair amount of Native American opposition

en.wikipedia.org...

I guess people just don't want to hear it and are wilfully ignorant.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join