It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Redskins say name 'respectful,' suggest Senate Dems don't have all the facts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

If you feel insulted - well, I can't help that. You should learn to get a thicker skin - they're only words

Hmmm, I wonder if you would apply this to those whose skin might be called red?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

I wonder if you'd defend bigotry just to make a point?

I wouldn't

If I have to pick my battles, I choose to call for a change of the team name. I find it offensive - as do many others

Now, I will always stand up for your right to disagree. That doesn't change my position

See how that works?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: beezzer

Nice try

:-)

Whatever.

But not what I was looking for

Don't care.

It's not freedom of speech if you don't allow for dissent

I never said I was against dissent. Failure on YOUR part. I said I was against actions that would lead to a loss of freedoms.

I'll ask again - who had their freedom denied?

Give me one name - just one

Fail again. You want me sit to silently and wait UNTIL freedoms have been removed or denied before speaking out?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I wouldn't

If I have to pick my battles, I choose to call for a change of the team name. I find it offensive - as do many others

Now, I will always stand up for your right to disagree. That doesn't change my position

Get a thicker skin.

See how that works?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I said I was against actions that would lead to a loss of freedoms.

Which actions are those? Be specific - if you can. You can't be talking about freedom of speech - people are right to speak out against what they see as wrong - even if you don't agree with it

Golly but this is kinda fun

And Beezzer - I would never expect you to sit by silently - ever. Especially not when you're claiming you're not allowed to have an opinion...What would be the use - or fun - in that?

You give a whole new meaning to the words Town Crier...

Now - honestly - you can 'whatever' your way out of anything I suppose - if that's really the way you want to go. But I'm asking you real questions

If you don't want to play - man up and say so

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Honest question beezzer - does that thicker skin apply to everything?

What if the team name was the Coloreds?

Not even sure if I'm allowed to say that here - guess we'll find out

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Not going to play games with you.

Keep your insults.

If you are for actions that would deprive others of their freedoms then you should man up and just admit it, instead of hiding like a coward behind the Bill of Rights and the Constitution.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Honest question beezzer - does that thicker skin apply to everything?

What if the team name was the Coloreds?

Not even sure if I'm allowed to say that here - guess we'll find out

Awww, grasping at strawmen now?

(psst, your slip is showing)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

Now, if a large group of Native Americans come out and say they find it offensive.

I would agree it should go. That's not what the numbers show.

I don't understand this, either. What we have here are entitled white people with nothing better to do than victimize other socioeconomic groups and make it seem like they can't handle something like the name "Redskins."

I take this opinion from reports made by missionaries, even aid workers for secular organizations, that go overseas and come to understand that the American brand of "helping" groups like this can actually be pretty insulting. The reports I hear about are actually mostly from the Peace Corps - I have read a few blogs by friends, talked briefly about such things and read more official blogs about the matter.

The general consensus seems to be that the rich white people take up a cause like this in order to avoid doing any real work towards improving the general global situation.

How are you going to get Native American support as a politician if you belong to a country that stole their land and killed off much of their population with smallpox blankets? Probably not by doing anything productive, so misguided token gestures happen.

I think it's high time that the people being offended (if there are any) are ones who have a direct stake in what is offensive, especially with minor details like this.

At the moment, the name is being used for political purposes, I doubt Harry Reid actually cares about the well-being of the Native Americans more than his political career. Is he calculating how much this will help their cultural heritage, or how much ammunition this gives him in the ballot box?

I'm a centrist that usually leans liberal, but this is my realistic take on this.
edit on 26pmMon, 26 May 2014 12:10:33 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 26pmMon, 26 May 2014 12:13:20 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 26pmMon, 26 May 2014 12:14:19 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 26pmMon, 26 May 2014 12:15:02 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 26pmMon, 26 May 2014 12:17:08 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Wonder no more. I wouldn't and I didn't.

Whether right or wrong there was a bit of offense taken by some over the phrase "You people". Should that phrase be banned now?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Pretty much what I expected

You really aren't for freedom of speech

Or - an actual discussion - where one person asks you sincere questions and you reply in kind

Did you feel insulted?

really?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I challenge you to explain how there is any kind of strawman involved

Go ahead - point it out

Or - just answer the question. That might be easier

What if the team name was The Coloreds? Would you be OK with that? Should we all be OK with that?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Pretty much what I expected

You really aren't for freedom of speech

Or - an actual discussion - where one person asks you sincere questions and you reply in kind

Did you feel insulted?

really?

Don't care that much about you to feel insulted. Sorry, but that's the truth.

I'm all for discussion or else I wouldn't be here.

You're in it for the speech that would actually deny freedom.

I'm not trying to silence you, just basically disagreeing with your whole approach on the subject.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Go ahead - point it out

What if the team name was The Coloreds? Would you be OK with that? Should we all be OK with that?

Strawman arguments aren't valid.

Post it again.

You'll still get the same reply.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Wonder no more. I wouldn't and I didn't.

In fact you did. You think it's wrong for people to speak out against bigotry. We should just have thicker skins is all - and never question the name of the team. Shut up - don't make waves - don't be PC

Don't be PC - because that would be infringing on somebodies rights. Nobody has the right to not feel insulted

Well, to some extent I agree with you. But - nobody is forcing anyone to do anything - are they? They're just talking...aren't they?

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Go ahead - point it out

I don't understand the Coloreds, it sounds like a dumb name to me, not catchy enough, maybe even a bit retarded sounding (as in the person naming the team couldn't spell names using colors and one-syllable words properly) or a marketing disaster even. So no, we shouldn't be okay with that, I think that would actually be a pretty legitimately terrible name.

This is one of those kind of scenarios where you end up with team names like "red-color" and "green-color" and the like after anything of interest is stripped from the names.

Although you still have to be careful, because offense can lie in the most unexplained corners ready to pounce, I had a poetry teacher once say that we couldn't use the color black or shadow imagery to represent evil because it was racist.

So you couldn't have any "black-color" team, and then the "green-colors" would really only be viable while Democrats had a good showing in the House and Senate.
edit on 26pmMon, 26 May 2014 12:39:04 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Then - put up or shut up. Answer a question or two. I've been nothing if not polite - and civil

And I never claimed you're trying to silence me

You don't actually believe in freedom of speech or discussion

And, while I'm sure it's obvious that I respect (and probably like) you more than you do me - that doesn't dissuade me

I hold out hope that one day your first natural instinct won't be evasion. I've seen you face things head on before - I know it's possible

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

In fact you did.
I did not. You are wrong about that. Care to show where you think I did?

You think it's wrong for people to speak out against bigotry.
Wrong again. It's probably better for you to stop thinking you know what I think. Stick to what I've said.

You seem to have failed to consider that I simply don't find the team name to be bigoted. It's that simple. People can be offended by it or not, it's their choice. Their choice to be offended in this case where none was intended should not be used as a weapon with which the PC police bully the organization into changing to a name they find acceptable. In context, it's clear the organization never intended to offend with their choice of Redskins but rather quite the opposite.

Now what about that "You people" question?

link   
If Native Americans get upset .... then change it.
If they aren't upset ... then don't worry about it.
Easy peasy.

link   

Then - put up or shut up. Answer a question or two. I've been nothing if not polite - and civil

Probably your biggest lie.

And I never claimed you're trying to silence me

Good. We actually agree on something.

You don't actually believe in freedom of speech or discussion

Okay, THIS is your biggest lie.

And, while I'm sure it's obvious that I respect (and probably like) you more than you do me - that doesn't dissuade me

Maybe this is your second (or third) biggest lie.

I hold out hope that one day your first natural instinct won't be evasion. I've seen you face things head on before - I know it's possible

I've been nothing but honest and direct.

I've stated what I wanted to impart.

Disagree, call me names all you want. Doesn't matter and I don't care.

But when I see liars and people who support those that would deny freedoms I will call them/you, out.

I've said what I've wanted to say.

Have a nice day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join