It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What food/dishes (Eating out or Home cooking) are the most popular amongst the ATS community?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: romilo
Of course salmon smoked is great too also as "raw" slightly salted. Haukikeitto is pike soup ( not my favs as i don´t like milk in soups and summer soup is disgusting veggies with milk... ) rantakala ( beachfish) vendace( heads included) ( muikku) with fresh new onions.. yammy. i guess we still like pretty much traditional dishes here in north.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I love marinated chicken, sides, no favorites per se. I also love marinated steaks and few seafoods.

We make this multi-salsa marinated chicken with a little soy sauce, ginger and orange slices - fantastic.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Residence: PA, but born in WV 1/2 Peruvian, 1/2 redneck
Favorite Item to cook: My mom made this awesome dish called lomo. Basically you take sweet potatoes cut them up like French fries, fry them like French fries then set them off to the side. In another skillet, you fry onions, green peppers, mushrooms, and season steak chunked, along with a tomato diced up. You make a bed of rice, put the sweet potatoes on top, then add the steak mix on top of that.
Favorite to order: Steak and cheese sub from the local deli.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Living where I do, SW Colorado/ Four Corners area. we regularly eat foods the rest of the world have never seen or heard about... Not only an I going to tell you about one of my families fav's I'm going to teach ya all how to make it.

Ntsidigo (Kneeldown Bread)

Also known as Navajo tamales, Kneeldown Bread is baked in a corn husk. It used to be made in bulk after the corn harvest and stored over the winter like a hard cracker. One old recipe reads as follows: “Scrape the kernels from fresh corn cobs and grind on a metate until mushy. Wrap in several layers of corn husks. Place in the ashes of a wood fire and cover with fresh corn husks or leaves to seal in the heat and steam. Cover with a layer of moist dirt, then a layer of hot coals. Stoke a small fire over all the layers and bake the breads about 1 hour. Remove the packets from the ash pit, peel off the husks, and eat hot.” Modern recipes utilize a hand grinder or food processor and an indoor oven as well as an underground outdoor fire. Ground green corn is dit[0g7. Kneeldown Bread is sometimes sold by vendors at flea markets. Cold bread is commonly eaten dunked in hot coffee.

Makes 10 breads
10 ears fresh naad33
3 tablespoons 'ak'ah
1 1/3 cups t0
'1sh88h to taste

1. Husk the corn, reserving the husks for wrapping. Using a sharp knife, cut the kernels off the cob. Scrape down the cob with the dull side of the blade to release the corn milk. In a food processor, grind the kernels to a mush. Add the lard, water, and salt, and process just enough to make a paste.

2. Divide the mixture into 10 equal portions. To fill the husks, lay out the husk so that the natural curl faces up to enclose the filling. Spoon the filling lengthwise into the center of the husk. Using strips of husks, tie both ends to enclose the filling. Gently bend the bread in half to tie the two ends together. Wrap each bread in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet or in a roasting pan.

3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

4. Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake for 1 hour, or until breads are firm to the touch. Serve hot. Store in the refrigerator up to 5 days.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

basically, empty tamale's.

My grandmother used to make that, but she would put various things in it to sweeten it for coffee.

I still make tamales at Christmas (my wife is latina and we make sure to continue her traditions too). Maybe we will try some of these too?

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Great thread!
Aside from the multitude of awesome dishes described in this thread,I am also loving the ethnic descriptions some folks are giving themsevles.

I love True Brits Ethnic group- "Metal head." Rock on chief.
And BFFT's "oilfield trash of Hungarian descent." Greatness in humility and humor.
But I think camain takes the prize with "1/2 Peruvian, 1/2 redneck." A quality mix.

I love how folks can joke about themselves in fun,without offense and yet still share food ideas in the same paragraph.

Regards to all from your friend,the clumsy socially inept Silcone S,of Celtic descent and seemingly unable to fully adapt to the modern world,except for the odd use of deep fry tech and computers...

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: rusblued9217

Residence: US, San Francisco Bay Area California

I try to eat healthy, and since I have celiac I'm kind of forced to, and I went through the stages of grief after diagnosis. Lol. So needless to say, no gluten and no fast food.

I eat a lot of chicken, turkey and a little beef, rice and tons of fruits and veggies. There's a really good brand of gluten free bread, Udi's, that I use for sandwiches and burgers.

Now I'm hungry.
edit on 24-5-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
My favourites are:-
Full English
Sunday dinner
Chicken Chowmein

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I like to cook a few things, mainly stir fries are my favorite, and soups, pork chops, and will be getting into grilling. Lovely salad, potatoe salad with tiny new potatoes.

Ordering out, prefer Chinese Food or Tai.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Born on the east coast of the US then moved to the midwest and now living on the west coast. Scots-Irish roots.

I love just about all foods ranging from the typical American, Thai, Italian, Mexican, French... We've been trying to eat healthy so I'm enjoying roasting/grilling veggies or just eating them raw with a nice dip such as hummus.

But, when I'm in the mood to cook comfort food, I'll cook up a batch of chicken and dumplings (sunken dumplings not the floaty ones!) or Springfield style cashew chicken. Nothing is better than Springfield cashew chicken IMO. I miss having chinese takeout in Missouri.

Oh! Special treat tonight though. I found frozen scrapple in a local market yesterday. It is thawed and ready to fry. Going to have breakfast for dinner. Scrapple is unknown to most people in the PNW. They don't know what they are missing!
edit on 24-5-2014 by NiteNGale2 because: spelling

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: rusblued9217

S&F, what a fun thread...and of course its my favourite subject.

Residence: Canada (SW Ont)
Ethnicity: Canadian White (English, French, German, Heinz57)
Favourite to cook: one pot meals like stir fries, stews, goulash, pasta...
Favourite to order: cabbage rolls (they're just too much work to do at home)

also:
Iwinder makes a fabulous Smoked Hickory Chicken on the BBQ (Mmmm) and I'll never turn down plain old weenies & beans on toast.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

edit on 24-5-2014 by YogaGinns because: added age

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning
Residence: California, US
Ethnicity: Erm... white? lol
Favorite to cook: Crispy Chicken thighs baked in a cast iron skillet, so easy and yummy
Favorite to order: Steak. (I can never get it to taste as good at home as it does from a restaurant)

Make your steak at home:

1. Ribeye steak (Size is related to the size of your wallet)
2. Reasonable coating of this is important both sides: Kosher Salt, and cracked Black Pepper
3. Heat a cast iron pan with light coating of any oil other than vegetable oil just until it smokes.
4. Drop the ribeyes on only long enough to sear (Good & Browned) in the flavor on both sides, thats it. (about 1.5 minutes)
5. Have a preheated oven to 350 take from the stove to the oven right in the pan.
6. Now heres the trick it takes a bit of experimenting based on the thickness of the steak and your oven.
7. Start with about 5 minutes for medium, and with a steak about 1" thk.
8. Pull it out let it rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
9. Enjoy.
10. Note: you can add a small tab of clarified butter to the pan before searing. Or add a tab of garlic butter on top after taking it out of the oven.

That is how the best steakhouse makes them and the only way I make them at home. The wife says they are the best she has ever had. I don't think she has eaten out much, but they are very tasty.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: rusblued9217
I'm aware this is a pretty random question, but here we have a great diverse community in terms of nationality, age, ethnicity, socio-economic status etc, all of this means the community is an excellent data sample.

I'm just curious as to what food people enjoy, and to see if there are any trends amongst members involving any of the variables.

I think people should post the country of their residence, ethnicity and favorite dish to cook/order, just for fun!
(of course if you are not comfortable posting one of these then don't feel obliged to do so)

ME:

Residence: UK
Ethnicity: Russian/French/British mixture.
Favorite to cook: Pork Char-Siu
Favorite to order: Crispy Mongolian lamb with Lettuce wraps

You?

Residence: 53 yrs California 3 yrs Virginia.
Ethnicity: Gringo
Favorite to cook: Fried rice, pot stickers.
Favorite to order: I didn't get this chubby body from being particular.

Love to cook, I make pretty much anything. Sheesh now I am hungry.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join