It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist falls into a 70-foot crevasse in the Himalayas; Videos

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
OMG

Incredible! This is straight out of 127 Hours! Western Kentucky University professor John All was conducting climate change studies in the Himalayas on Monday, when he suddenly fell into a 70-foot hole. He broke his arm, dislocated his shoulder and broke five ribs. John All then turned on his camera and captured the horrifying ordeal and escape on video.

Could you imagine this happening. I watched the four small clips of this otherwise 5 hour ordeal and I cringed and often hoped for him the whole way through. He is so lucky to be alive.

According to reports, the entire process took John over five hours. John described it as “one of life’s hardest moments.”

Please be aware there are a few F bombs in the videos, and rightly so given the pain he is in

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Source

ETA: Here is a follow up video in which he talks about the ordeal. Scroll down in This Link

Thanks everyone for the love and support. When I was shivering and bleeding and waiting for the chopper, the things I heard from the sat link kept me going. Rebecca Cole and Carl Schmitt worked via satellite to link me to the chopper and Sujan Bhattarai got everything wired so I rolled out of the chopper into an ambulance (with a gurney that was so short I had to bend and lift my legs in the air so they could close the ambulance door). I checked myself out of the ICU today after a miraculous night of healing - not really an hospital type of guy. Injuries across my body but no single one will kill me - although I need to consult Alex Stella on this. The worst was having a dislocated shoulder for 32 hours before they could re-set it - worst pain I have ever felt. Broken bones were only a humerous and five ribs - although the humerous will probably require surgery at some point. The internal bleeding has stopped and they said the accumulated blood will go away. Smashed knee, scarred left eye that won't open all of the way, and that's about it. I landed on my right arm and side so both of my feet and legs were dangling over the void and miraculously unhurt. I am ready for a safe trip to Peru, but first I will work on interviews with Janardan Mainali on climate change impacts in local mountain communities for my last couple of weeks. It will be a great distraction during the healing process. Thank you again for all of your wonderful, crucial support. I wouldn't have survived without it. I wish I could list everyone by name, but know I am reading your posts and email as I lay on the hotel bed in Kathmandu and am thankful for all of you. John

Source

Simply amazing indeed. The fact he made it out with all the injuries is mind blowing!!

Spiro

ps, as usual I searched various keywords and checked various forums. I was not sure where to put this, sorry either way.
edit on 24-5-2014 by Spiro because: add another link

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   

He made it out alive.

If he and I ever meet the first few dozen cold ones are on me

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
S&F!

Wow! Incredible footage!

Pity there wasn't a vid with him at the top having a 'Frozen' moment saying "The cold never bothers me anyway!" LOL!

What an amazing strive to survive and I am glad he made it!

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

He made it out alive.

Probably would prefer a few Hot Ciders heavily laced with Rum rather than Cold Ones, but I'm definitely with you...

Nice Avy for the weekend BTW...

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I'm betting he's the room temperature kind after that experience.

At least it wasn't fatal. I understand some of those can drop a whole lot further. One of the many reasons I love reading and sometimes writing about mountain and ice climbing but from a nice warm place with something cold of my own to drink. (shivers) I'll leave the reality to people who can fall 70 feet and live. That isn't my luck. Nope.

This bunny would have been iced for sure.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Here is a follow up video in which he talks about his ordeal. I cant embed the video so please click This Link I have also added it to the OP.
edit on 24-5-2014 by Spiro because: someone pinched my dictionary

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Wow hes lucky to be alive, thats quite the fall. I cant imagine the terror of being at the bottom not knowing if you are going to make it out, or even fall further!

Id be freaking out completely!! He manages to hold himself together and climb out with a broken arm too, thats some major willpower!

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiro

Some might say that this fellows survival of the fall into the icy hole is impressive. I disagree. You see, he did not just survive a fall which would have killed pretty much any other person, but climbed out of that hole, in a limited amount of time, and then survived a sixteen to eighteen hour wait in his tent overnight, with internal bleeding, a busted shoulder, several broken ribs and not being able to eat or drink, until rescuers could finally show up to evacuate him from the location.

The dude is Wolverine for Godsake! This is not a merely impressive feat of survival and endurance, but an inhuman display of determination and will power. Impressive is not a word which covers the sheer badassery involved, and what really makes the whole thing ridiculous is this...

Lets say you or me fall down a crevasse, and fail to die while doing so? And lets say that we have some pretty brutal injuries, one of which impedes one of our arms, which are pretty bloody important for climbing, which as luck would have it, is the only way to escape the frozen abyss into which we have plunged? The last thing that you, or I would do in this situation, is decide to do a video blog of the experience! I am pretty confident that we would either just fail miserably and die in that hole, or have JUST about enough energy to get us to the top, and out of that hole, but we would certainly not have the presence of mind to make a film about it!

That is just insane! By God almighty! It puts the Vlogbrothers in perspective, I will tell you that much! The dude is just impervious to death, and that is WAY beyond impressive. I think, legendary might cover it better.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I could not have put it better my self. Thank you kind sir :up. a reply to: TrueBrit

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The human will to survive.

And so many give up on lesser tasks and situations.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Amazing. The only selfie I've seen worth shooting.

F&S&
Great find.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
amazing to make it out.... then having to wait 17!!!! hours for someone to come get him!
I was blown away by this, no way could I have survived such an ordeal.

The human spirit never ceases to amaze
X
edit on 25-5-2014 by bowaconstricta because: brain function limited due to ilness called Lurve.... extra DIV

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: bowaconstricta
amazing to make it out.... then having to wait 17!!!! hours for someone to come get him!
I was blown away by this, no way could I have survived such an ordeal.

The human spirit never ceases to amaze
X

It is truly an amazing feat what he endured. Think about it, how on earth did he do this? As you say, the human spirit is so strong for survival.

Spiro

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I like this guy........I really do. Spirit,courage,determination........These are excellent qualities to have and he is in no short supply.

This video actually reminded me of the owned videos on youtube when the bully picks the fight with the wrong person and gets owned. This crevasse was owned.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

I like this guy........I really do. Spirit,courage,determination........These are excellent qualities to have and he is in no short supply.

This video actually reminded me of the owned videos on youtube when the bully picks the fight with the wrong person and gets owned. This crevasse was owned.

Ha ha ha that's a good analogy my friend. But yes, so very true of being a strong and determined human. If i was in this position I would like to think I would do the same,....in fact I think we all would.

Be safe be well

Spiro

join