It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where to get information?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Hi all!

First real post here and I hope it's in the right forum (if not, mods please move)

Over the years I've been a lurker and since i signed up I've read umpteen posts where the source automatically gets ridiculed (huffington post etc.)

My question is this...

Where should we look for decent current news that can be brought to ATS without the usual responses?

I.e. where do you guys go to get new news and information?

I'm also asking for my own purposes as most of the time I come here for news rather than MSM sites.

P.S. I'm in the UK if that's a help.

Regards,

M.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: murlock

I don't think the specific source means as much as something else. I've personally quoted stories at one time or another from all the "bad" sources. Press.TV, RT, VOA, BBC, and even Fox a time or two! (gasp). I try to use more moderate sources when it's media, but still.....people can and will attack the Library of Congress as a source (don't ask..but I'm not making that up as an example).

What's more important is that you can defend your choice of source and ...above all on controversial or particularly sensitive things? Be correct. Anyone can be right...and every right opinion kinda comes out sounding the same. Being correct means you did everything within reason for the effort to insure it's accurate. (within reason being key there).

If you can defend the source and you know you're correct? The rest takes care of itself and just look for cool stuff people will enjoy reading.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
That is a very hard question to answer, but a very worthwhile question.

All major news outlets have an agenda, it is that simple.

All minor news outlets, say smaller internet sites also have an agenda even when they intend to be balanced. The smaller the site, the more the site owners personal opinion shines through.

There are some that should not be used, sorry, I do not know if a concise, constantly updated list exists, I have never seen one.

The world is what the world is and the trick is to know the agendas and keep them in mind as you read.

Part of the good work done here is to allow us to find the middle ground and thence get closer to the truth but it takes experience and perception to do this. Look to the middle of the road posters who can see both sides. That is my best advice.

P

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
www.informationclearinghouse.info... is a place I will stop by for a mix of stories from a host of sites .They have a good comment section where you can usually find some good links as well . a reply to: murlock

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   

That's a tough question considering the state of the press nowadays.

As long as the facts can be traced to a credible source then you shouldn't have a problem with who provides the information. The problem with the internet is that you can end up in a infinitive loop of clicking links to get to the source, and at the end of the day it's time consuming and frustrating.

It's up to you to use your better judgement and sort the diamonds from the rough. Consistency and impartiality are traits you should look for in a good source IMO, but if you're ever in doubt there will be other members that will put you down the right path.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
As has already been stated, most outlets have an agenda. The majority of outlets actually have daily meetings to decide what will be covered for the day. If something isn't likely to draw in an audience (and thus, money), or if it isn't newsworthy enough (by the editors' standards), then it won't be featured in the news...

With that said, i wouldn't recommend reading from any one specific source. I read major outlets as well as smaller ones. I get my news from all sides - whether it be RT, CNN, Fox News, The Guardian, The Sydney Morning Herald etc. While they all have an agenda, you will be able to get a better understanding of an overall event if you read from multiple sources, rather than just one.

Hope this helps.

Daas.
edit on 24-5-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Most real evidence can be applied to more than one thing. So bringing evidence to ATS requires that you understand it. Proper interpretation of what is going on is important. But always remember, interpretation is stirred by belief. Some sources information do not agree with consensus of the time, but that does not necessarily mean the information is incorrect. It just means it is not what people believe at the time.

You can bring a lot of evidence up to back an idea yet present beliefs can discount all the evidence you bring to the table even though it may be relevant. Much of this deceitful practice comes from people's desire to profit from the way it is. People will accept evidence that fits their beliefs easier than evidence that goes against their beliefs. They will also misapply evidence to their beliefs because they cannot see that it is in opposition.

So what is a reliable source? One that constantly reinforces our beliefs of the time and place we live in I suppose. Just because a bunch of people believe something is true or false does not mean it is as they believe.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Where should we look for decent current news that can be brought to ATS without the usual responses?

Once I hear something in the main stream I come here to see what everyone thinks about it. "Usually" therein lies the answer to my questions.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Every single news outlet has a bias, or an agenda. Big or small, they are buisinesses, and information is their commodity.
So to answer your question, get your information from as many sources possible, all the while being aware of the biases, and make your own opinion.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Try this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I do believe this is what you have been asking about.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

Epic Iwinder. Thank you very much that was exactly what i was looking for

Also thanks to everyone else that has replied... You have all been very helpful

In future I shall try to find as much info as possible before starting a thread

You guys Rock!

new topics

top topics

join