It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

being proud of your ethnicity or cultural background

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
What is there to actually be proud about? Over the years I have witnessed people who fly flags of other nations their parents left behide to start a new life. These same people get tatoos of their parents or ancestors birthplace country put bumper stickers on their cars saying brown pride ect" sorry brown people this is just an example". However they didnt have a choice in the matter of what ethinic background they had been raised in or what ethnicity they are! So how are you actually proud to be what you are when that is the only option you have ever known? It still amazes me after hundreds of years of living in america you cannot drop that crap!

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Separate cultures exist within a multicultural society.

Just because they live in a society such as the USA, does not mean that they should rescind their familial and ancestral backgrounds.

Our societies were built by many cultures, so it seems silly to worry over ethnic people proudly supporting what makes them, them.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Who cares? In the year 2025 we'll all be short, fat, bald and speak with s pronounced Romanian accent anyway. And we will still haven't seen Obama's birth certificate in 2025. Hillary is our perpetual Emperess after receiving the latest in anti-aging , immortalization therapy.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

multiculturalism is dead! and special interest groups killed it

interest group, also called special interest group or pressure group, any association of individuals or organizations, usually formally organized, that, on the basis of one or more shared concerns, attempts to influence public policy in its favour. All interest groups share a desire to affect government policy to benefit themselves or their causes. Their goal could be a policy that exclusively benefits group members or one segment of society

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hey, I am proud of my ancestors. Without them, I would not be here, neither would my kids and grandkids. They were survivors, in a world full of warring humans and creatures and microbes that eat people. Everyone should be proud that their ancestors gave them an opportunity to experience life. Hopefully they didn't destroy the lives of others too often so we can be here. Examining history, it is pretty evident that many of us have ancestors that did things we might not like, but the societies of the time dictated them to do the things they did to survive. Forgive your ancestors for their transgressions and just try to make sure your actions are honorable.

I'm hoping my ancestors were just ordinary people, not tyrants who caused hardship to many others. From knowing my family, I doubt if they were. Might be a vampire or werewolf in the bunch, but they were probably vegetarians.

I would hope the Finns would consider me one of their kind. Right now I am a Yooper.
edit on 23-5-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Hey, I am proud of my ancestors. Without them, I would not be here, neither would my kids and grandkids - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
a reply to: rickymouse

yeah that has nothing to do with culture or ethnicity they are just your ancestors

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: digital01anarchy

Hey, I am proud of my ancestors. Without them, I would not be here, neither would my kids and grandkids - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
a reply to: rickymouse

yeah that has nothing to do with culture or ethnicity they are just your ancestors
what i mean to say is there ethinic background and culture doesnt have a thing to do with passing genes on

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

I wouldn't be waving a Finnish flag around or bragging that I am Finn. Finland is a country my ancestors lived in for a while. Who knows where they came from before that. My ancestors were just miners and farmers over there and opportunity to work in the US came along in the beginning of the nineteen hundreds so they moved here.

Some people think they are better than others because of their ethnicity. We were just workers, probably nobody special.

But, I do make good Pasties and Kalla Mojaka.

edit on 23-5-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

Our societies were built by many cultures, so it seems silly to worry over ethnic people proudly supporting what makes them, them.

Borders, Language and Culture are what MAKES a society FFS! and a society makes a nation.

Some cultures built roads, airplanes, microscopes, etc.. others are known for cannibalism (papua new guinea).

I will take any northern European or Scandinavian culture over ALL the others.

And as far as pride goes, the culture that has won the wars, been to space, made automobiles first, airplanes first, submarines first, etc.. THAT is a culture to be proud of, and I am.

Western Culture also treats women with more respect and rights.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
My Mom is Black my Dad was White. I used to struggle with what race i was. After years i found the answer.

I am not black nor am i white. At the same time i am black and white

But most importantly i am me i am free

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

I think your OP is a little US centric, which is ironic when you consider that despite its size and power, it is a child nation, not even five hundred years old.

If all one has to fall back on is two hundred and thirty eight years, then I can understand someone not wanting to concentrate too fully on the richness of their cultural identity, but for people who come from nations which have existed in one format or another for THOUSANDS of years, like my own nation, and many many others, it is perfectly natural and healthy to love the place you are from, to revel in its histories, many of which stretch back so far that they become unconfirmed legends and myths, from a time before the written word as we know it.

This is about perspective. Unless you come from a country with a rich history, stretching back into the murk of pre-history, you cannot be expected to understand what it feels like to be rooted by eons to the land from which you come. But the thing is this, for me as a Briton, untold generations of my ancestors lived and died in these lands that I call home, and that I would still call home if I had to move elsewhere to work, or for another reason. I am the product of thousands of years of birth and death, peace and war, and I owe my existence to the perseverance of my ancestors and the bounty they were given by life on this isle.

Not only that, but this country is physically gorgeous. When I visit the region from which most of my family come, that being Wales, specifically the Snowdonia national park, I literally feel connected to the land and to time, in a way that is very hard to describe. All I know is, when I am there I am all at once excited to be alive, and calm in a way that nothing else on earth has ever replicated for me.

Feelings like this, beautiful, life affirming, wholesome feelings like this, are what inspire people from all over the world to love their nation of origin, to feel connected to the root of their existence, and this feeling is actually helpful to society, because if you love a place in this way, then you want to protect it, and make it as wonderful as you can in tribute to your ancestors, and the awesome majesty of the land itself.

There is nothing wrong with that, and there is nothing wrong with taking your love of your homeland away with you if you have to leave for some reason either.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I don't really feel the pride, tbh. Mother came from S.Korea, not out of hardship but for adventure and a love interest, and my dad was born and raised here, his ethnic background a scattered mess.

There are times when I want to feel some pride for being half korean, but after being raised around them in my early childhood I would rather disassociate with them. Hard to make a bad impression go away.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Robohamster

My husband is half Korean, his mother is also from South Korea. When she moved to the states she didn't speak a lick of English. Her husband didn't want her to learn it either, but she did anyway. Unfortunately she never taught my husband how to speak Korean, other than greetings and "I'm hungry."

She makes the best kimchee you have ever had in your life, from scratch. Even the fish sauce, takes two years!

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy
a reply to: Robohamster

My husband is half Korean, his mother is also from South Korea. When she moved to the states she didn't speak a lick of English. Her husband didn't want her to learn it either, but she did anyway. Unfortunately she never taught my husband how to speak Korean, other than greetings and "I'm hungry."

She makes the best kimchee you have ever had in your life, from scratch. Even the fish sauce, takes two years!

Haha, I'm almost in the same boat about the language thing. I know a few greetings, family titles (sister, aunt, etc), a few bad words, and a few food names. Some times I wish I knew how to speak it. My employer is Korean and there have been several times when I get very curious about her conversations with my Korean co-worker. lol. (Funny how I can't seem to get away from Koreans...)

Kimchee usually isn't my thing. I've never really liked it. But my fiance tells me my mom's kimchee is pretty generic and that I'm missing out. So who knows, maybe I would like your mom's kimchee better. And I believe it about the fish sauce thing. Watched a snippet of a documentary about food before and it mentioned the time it takes to make fish sauce.

top topics

join