It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders Pitches Carbon Tax: No 'Freedom to Destroy the Planet'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

People care about the planet way more in theory than they do in practice. That's a basic fact. That's also why carbon taxes are an inescapable reality in all this: because money talks.

It's sad, but it is what it is.

Meanwhile alternatives are mostly more expensive right now because they're new - the infrastructure is still in its infancy and it's going to have growing pains, no way around that either. But prices are also falling like crazy, growth is skyrocketing and the old establishment that was built on cheap but finite dirty energy that "they" got to spoonfeed and control us with are very aware of the coming paradigm shift - so they are throwing every obstacle they can in its way.

The point is don't dismiss good ideas just because you're cynical about politics or big government or whatever. Look around on this thread - people are so easily manipulated by superficial crap like this and they just waste away in their own willful ignorance. Even if some good ideas aren't perfect - we should be using that as motivation to make them better, not poo-poo all over everything just so we can use it as another excuse to sit around and do nothing.

So don't let this phony political division nonsense blind you on basic common sense - check out the Green Tea Party for example - two extremely different groups coming together because they're lucid enough to see the forest for the trees.

It's something many people here obviously can't figure out for themselves, so they just keep trying to find it by whipping out the chainsaws instead.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Unless I misunderstand the deal the tax does absolutely nothing to stop pollution. ZERO - ZIP - NADA

All it does is make the companies pay the government so they can keep putting out the EXACT same level of pollution.

Does NOTHING for the environment, just lines the pockets of government

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: mwood

Unless I misunderstand the deal the tax does absolutely nothing to stop pollution. ZERO - ZIP - NADA

All it does is make the companies pay the government so they can keep putting out the EXACT same level of pollution.

Careful there !!

People might understand the scam.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

Which of course proves beyond any doubt that Earth is emerging from an ice age.

Total correction could take centuries.

Pack your bags if you live in a coastal city !!!

Get your final arrangements in order !!!

Archeologists will have plenty to discover when Antarctica melts down to bare land !!!

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Taxes won't stop the carbon.

In a perfect world the big polluters should be encouraged to use their vast wealth to invest in renewable energies. Projects in tidal, geothermic, or solar energy could provide clean energy and provide jobs, not to mention the profits they would enjoy by providing customers with said energy.

But like I said, that's in a perfect world. In the real world all they know how to do is dig, burn, and make a profit-which in turn is used to dig, burn and make a profit.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Agreed. People love labels like "progressive" and "liberal", but fail to realize that Bernie Sanders is an Independent and refuses donations from large corporate institutions. I send an email out every day with the Daily Bernie...yesterday the first two people to respond with a Hell Yeah! Were staunch Republicans...

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: oblvion
a reply to: beezzer

Beez, everyone knows if we all drive electric cars these power plants will go out of business tomorrow, because electric cars don't run on electric.........damn I fell for that didn't I?

I believe this to be the thought process of most progressives, minus the part where they see the error of their ways.

If you and Bezzer were to do a little research you would know there is ways of generating electricity besides burning massive amounts of fuel. Here's a little help tidal wave generators, geo thermal, wind, solar, dams on rivers these things work and burn zero fuel but take the power out of the hands of the few that you want to keep it in.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

In a perfect world the big polluters should be encouraged to use their vast wealth to invest in renewable energies. Projects in tidal, geothermic, or solar energy could provide clean energy and provide jobs, not to mention the profits they would enjoy by providing customers with said energy.

But like I said, that's in a perfect world. In the real world all they know how to do is dig, burn, and make a profit-which in turn is used to dig, burn and make a profit.

These companies get tax breaks to do research in renewables but invest very little. It seems like some people in this thread enjoys seeing smog over a city and thinks it's a great thing.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
1.All of the easy Geothermal is already producing.
2.Tidal wave generators?Geez!
3.Wind?A maintenance nightmare that is a huge eyesore,not to mention noise and bird killing.
4.Solar?Never been viable without Gov. subsidies.
5.Dams?Funny you should mention Dams,the greenies want to destroy the existing dams.
So,we are left with burning fuel and it isn`t going to change anytime soon.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: oblvion
a reply to: beezzer

Beez, everyone knows if we all drive electric cars these power plants will go out of business tomorrow, because electric cars don't run on electric.........damn I fell for that didn't I?

I believe this to be the thought process of most progressives, minus the part where they see the error of their ways.

If you and Bezzer were to do a little research you would know there is ways of generating electricity besides burning massive amounts of fuel. Here's a little help tidal wave generators, geo thermal, wind, solar, dams on rivers these things work and burn zero fuel but take the power out of the hands of the few that you want to keep it in.

Tidal is not viable, it is a gimmick at present nothing more.

Geothermal is not so easy, like all these other examples it is a gimmick, not a wide spread and viable option in most of the earths crust, but by all means move to a place where the mantle is close to the crust, btw volcanoes etc usually inhabit these places.

Wind is not viable, it costs more to build and maintain than it can even generate, hence their enormous government subsidies to keep them going. If left to stand alone, they would fold in months.

Solar....se my wind is not viable comment.

Dams, now your onto somthing......oh wait, that's right, we already damned everything worth damning almost 100 years ago....what were you saying about dams again?

This is of curse not to mention the environmental impact of all these things, as they rape and pillage large swaths of the ecosystem, for an inferior energy source.

Ah sun wolf you beat me to it, my internet went down and I had to reset the modem damned timewarner pos, at least it will be Comcast.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

These companies get tax breaks to do research in renewables but invest very little. It seems like some people in this thread enjoys seeing smog over a city and thinks it's a great thing.

You couldn't be more wrong, most of us would love it if these things actually worked, but they don't work anymore than frogs wanting wings so they don't hit they butts when they hop.

Your problem is your not able to differentiate between want and reality.

I am a realist, and these things are not even close to reality. And no amount of wanting or hoping will change that.

In your mind these energy companies research but don't invest, because they want to pollute the whole world until we are extinct.

When in reality it is a matter of reality. They research, see it isn't viable and move on. You know like when I want a loan, the bank checks me out finds me to be a worthwhile investment, or they se too much risk with too little gain and they decline.

With the billions just the US governemtn has poured into this it should be obvious to everyone, it isn't a matter of want, it is a matter of ability.

We lack the ability at present, because we are not yet advanced enough.

The problem is one of knowledge.

We now it is possible, we just can't make it work yet, think back to kids trying to fly with homemade wings.

They know flight is possible, they just haven't figured it out yet.

I can't believe your so one sided, as to say something along a the lines of we want the skies full of smog, just because we can see the obviousness of the reality that this is at present beyond us.

I have never said we should stop research into these subjects, I have never said we should just give up on it, I have never said I don't want this to be a reality.

I do want green tech to be a reality, but it isn't one at present.

Please apply the science you were taught in school, use the scientific method here.

What seems more likely, myself and everyone else who is trying to tell you the truth of the situation wants nothing but the complete destruction of all earths eco systems so some rich guys I will ever even meet or know can get even richer.

Or, we are trying to tell you the truth abut a subject you obviously don't understand, because you believe the hype, and totally ignore facts, like all these heavily subsidised green tech companies folding because they aren't viable?

How many nonfunctional examples you want? Here I will through solendra out just for starters, want me to increase the list to hundreds of examples? Or are you willing to at least contemplate the fact these companies are all failing despite heavy government subsidies because they are not viable?

I am not asking to betray your beloved leftist idiologies, I am just asking you to for a few minutes, consider what seems more likely.
It isn't hard to see the truth if you stop blindly following what you want, and actually see what actually is.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: mwood

Here in the UK the carbon tax for the energy companies has been frozen and they will reduce their bills by the same amount. Somehow I think they will squeeze a little profit from that too. This is all the proof we need, it shows that the tax is immediately passed on to the consumer and for the companies it is just business as usual.

I have no problem with companies making a profit but when it comes down to the basic needs it has to be taken out of the hands of corporate greed.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

You know this subject to often ignored.

If through some magic occurrence, the carbon tax would come solely from corporate profit and not be passed on to the consumer, I very well may be one of its biggest cheerleaders.

I don't know how that would even be possible in our current economic model though.

So once again I am entirely against it, because it isn't a tax on business or corporate profits, it is just another tax on the already way over taxed people.

The only way to make this work would be to freeze their prices, which is legal in the US and then implement the tax so they can't escape paying it, but the billions in lobbying money they spend guarantees this will never even get close to happening.

Sad story but true non the less.

edit on 2014bSaturdayv4620145 by oblvion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

Agreed. People love labels like "progressive" and "liberal", but fail to realize that Bernie Sanders is an Independent and refuses donations from large corporate institutions. I send an email out every day with the Daily Bernie...yesterday the first two people to respond with a Hell Yeah! Were staunch Republicans...

"People" who "Love" the labels are the Progressives and Liberals themselves yes indeed !!

Bernie Sanders is a member of the official Congressional Progressive Caucus

Lots of "Liberal" outfits use the name to identify.

And I just bet 'ol Bernie has taken a few green bucks under the table as well.

He has good managers that can "hide" money better than any magician Campaign Cmte & Leadership PAC Combined

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join