It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 2

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

*comes down from a handstand!*

Thank you very muchly kind sir. Berty seems quite content
.....wish I could say the same for my neck! lol!

Rainbows
Jane

PS to Dawg.....your cat is a whopper!!! I actually got my tape measure out to get some perspective

Still PMSL at your pigeon add ons

edit on 6-6-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

LOL!

Well, noodle or not, it is no longer my problem...

Its flown away to meet its fate! I hope the pigeon returns home safely!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Aww bless it!
Was that your mum? If it was she is now officially a Shedite!

Lovely day your having there True.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Yes, that was my mother, and yes the weather is nice... If you like that sort of thing!

Me and my bottle of ice are dealing with the weather in the same way, that is by melting, and sweating!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
WooHoo! I just got the call. I'll be spending the weekend at the farm. A fun filled three days of chainsaw, fire and maybe swimming...if the weather holds out. And of course taking care of Griffin the Dawg, who is a great buddy. See y'all tomorrow!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex
So that's you and Gordi off for the week end!
Me off to fleamarkets.....what's everyone else doing?

@True....are you determined to give me a crick in my neck????

Rainbows
Jane

PS I'm just settling down to a scrummy pork dinner with stuffed mushrooms and sweet potato while I watch "A Shine of Rainbows", then I'm off for a bike ride....Cumbrae proved to me I can go a LOT further than my 'piddly' little bike ride to the shops!!

edit on 6-6-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Hi troops!
Nice day up here in Sunny Scotland!

Nice bird True.
What you had there is a "Blue bar" racing pigeon.
Mum did EXACTLY the correct thing - WELL DONE!

My dad was a champion Pigeon Racer in his day, and I briefly followed in his footsteps, being E.Kilbride Junior Pigeon Racing Champ 3 years running! ***applause**** LOL (Long time ago!!)

They are usually fed a "pigeon mix" of dried mixed beans/maize/millet etc you get it from pet stores and wholesale at "feed stores" where they sell horsey stuff and the like.

They are taken en masse to the "liberation" point for races in HUGE lorries which can contain THOUSANDS of birds.
They are then released at a pre-determined time all at once, and towards the culmination of the racing season they can be several hundred miles from home. (Some races from the continent are well over 1000 miles long!)

Because of the distances involved, the pigeons can become fatigued and/or dis-oriented.
They usually recover on their own after some rest and a pick about in the fields for a seed or two.
But if they actively seek out company and shelter then you guys did exactly the right thing.

They are usually very tame, as they are handled by their owners on a daily basis.
Was one of the rings metal and one rubber by any chance?

The metal ring Identifies each individual bird with a unique number, and the rubber one is the race ring which identifies it for a specific race. (The rubber ring is removed by the owner when the bird returns from the race, it is popped inside a small metal capsule and "punched" into a sealed time-clock which records the exact moment that the ring capsule is inserted.
The location of each pigeon "loft" is known to the nearest metre, and the winner of any race is NOT the one who arrived home first! It's the one with the highest velocity over the race (Velocity = Distance / Time Taken).

ahhh memories of my dad are stirring in me!!

Thanks for that True!

G

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Well, I am not sure what the tags where made of. All I know is that one was orange, and the other was yellow and green.

What I do know is that the bird was very docile indeed, and only made a fuss when I picked up the pet carrier that we used to transfer to the beach. The bird was reluctant to leave the box initially as you can see in the video, but got the idea when it was turned on its side, hehe!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
(*tiptoes in*)

Hey guys - the big show is tonight (my year-end performance w/my choir). We hope to break our legs.
Later!

- AB

(*tiptoes back out*)

(*pokes head back in*) Oh! Sorry you are melting TrueBrit! (And anyone else caught in the heat.)
It will be our turn here soon enough...I'll enjoy the mild weather whilst I can...bye!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Love all the animal talk in here!!!!

Glad you helped the bird True.

Jacy, your kitty and ferret will be friends before you know it. I used to have two cats and a ferret and the ferret wore the poor kitties out. LOL It was comical as hell to watch. Ferrets are relentless.

I miss having a cat sooooooo much.

I always had my cats declawed and usually the same day or day after they were jumping up on furniture. They were quite sedated. They played like always and never showed any signs of discomfort ever. They still had their back claws. The only thing they hated was their feet being all bandaged up and would bite the bandaging off and were fine. I had beautiful oriental rugs and lace curtains and window screens, furniture, wicker things etc. absolutely ruined by cats and couldn't afford to replace things all the time.

Being indoor cats and living such long and healthy lives, I always had cat furniture things for them to climb and windowsills to sit in, toys and freshly grown grasses in containers and some catnip once in a while. They were very happy and content kitties.

Many pet owners, my sister included, feel cats should be allowed to go outdoors. She has spent a fortune on grooming because her cats used to get sticky sap from somewhere that matted their fur all up. Too many people have lost their cats to being run over by cars, running away and never coming back, or the cats being attacked by other animals. Many have flea problems and diseases etc. It is a very personal choice.

If I ever can afford a cat again, I would first try those cat claw covers you glue on.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Good luck with your year end performance Hun!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Love all the animal talk in here!!!!

Me too! And a lovely little story from TrueBrit as my introduction to this weird shed place.

If I ever can afford a cat again, I would first try those cat claw covers you glue on.

Crikey! I don't know you very well yet Night Star but I have humungous admiration for any human willing to try glue fake nails onto a cat. Good luck with that!

Nice to meet all the sheddites, by the way. Hello. I hope you don't mind me sneaking in but I have been lurking at the door for a while and it swung open and my foot took a tentative step over the threshold.

Mura

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

From personal experience, I can tell you those things are AWESOME!!!

Declawing is something I strongly disagree with on every level, and I have always suggested those. Good to see that they are becoming more well known, and well considered.

Sometimes, it does take going to a vet to get it done, but if you have had cats.. I am guessing that doesnt come as much of a surprise.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
(*tiptoes in*)

Hey guys - the big show is tonight (my year-end performance w/my choir). We hope to break our legs.
Later!

- AB

(*tiptoes back out*)

(*pokes head back in*) Oh! Sorry you are melting TrueBrit! (And anyone else caught in the heat.)
It will be our turn here soon enough...I'll enjoy the mild weather whilst I can...bye!

You'll be beaming and bragging tomorrow AB

We're all there with you

Cody

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Best of luck AB!

I hope your performance is all you would hope for!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Mura44

Welcome to the shed

No need for tentative steps, just barrel in Mura

Always a pleasure to welcome a new member of the crew

Cody

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

In that case, allow me to bid ye most welcome to the armada of silliness that is the Shed. It's crew are a hodgepodge of variously crazy folk, and crazy things happen within!

I hope you enjoy!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Welcome Aboard Mura!
Hey your avatar turned out great!
G

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

GordI....pigeon racing? Is there NOTHING that you don't know? *feeling humbled*

True...that video was awesome! I love your voice, lol! I was watching it, thinking of the bird speaking to you, ala Monty Python...."Awright, get out!" "No!" "Get outttt!" "I'm NOT going." (rofl)

AboveBoard...Sing your heart out hunny! Sing for all us talent-less shmucks, who sound like sick mooses in heat, lol! I'm jealous....hope you have a great time...don't forget to tell us all about it!

Night Star...Aww geez, I have Macy on my lap right now...couldn't you adopt a free house-cat from someone like I just did? I forgot how lovely it is to have a cat around.

Mura44...Welcome! Make yourself at home...I'm so happy you decided to jump in! Please just act like you've known us all forever, lol....and chit-chat, or write some storyline if you want to. These are the best people I've ever known, and I love them all. So happy to have a new 'family' member...the more the merrier!

Serdgiam....Hi!! Always glad to see you! I can't believer I don't know about cat claw covers...? Geez, things have changed while I've been living in ferret land.

Cody...Hi!! You are the BEST welcoming committee EVER, lol!

Whew, all caught up now!
*squishy hugs*
jacy

edit on 6-6-2014 by jacygirl because: spelling

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl
Serdiam....Hi!! Always glad to see you! I can't believer I don't know about cat claw covers...? Geez, things have changed while I've been living in ferret land.

I have been suggesting them for over 10 years now!

The responses I would frequently get were just downright strange. Everything from claiming they dont work to they dont exist to "declawing is more humane" (??).

They are, by a massive margin, the best solution to those felines who may have more destructive tendencies. I mean, they ALL want to enslave humanity directly and overtly, but a lesser percentage display their disdain through destruction of the humans property.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join