It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 2

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

As far as I am aware, the idea of releasing it was actually arrived at after communion of some sort with such an organisation.

The advice on their website (which I have just checked) suggests offering food and water for a maximum of 48 hours, after which we ought to remove the food and water and release the bird. The removal of the food and water should prompt the bird to seek to complete its journey. They normally only stop if they have been going like the clappers and need a rest apparently, so we have offered the prescribed shelter and food and water, and will be removing the consumables an hour before we release the bird, to make it clear that it ought to bugger off home.

It is in no distress, and I do not sense any confusion on its part. I think it was just a little bit tired from flying, and needed a break.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Blame Foss!
I think that he was inferring that the pixies were on the ladies ship though. After all, Pixies can fly and can flit about from ship to ship.

Now get that scow back to floating!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Ah, OK, excellent! Keep us posted.
Apologies for interfering
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Since when have we had a scow in the fleet? Did I miss something?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

That's pretty cool. I've never seen a racing pigeon before. Are they really that mellow? Do they just let you walk up to them and pick them up? Or is a chase involved?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Hellooooo Family!
I just got caught up...awesome stories....so nice to see you all!

I've been a little busy....I got a cat!
A little old lady lives in the apartment beside me...I knew she had a yappy little dog lol, but had no idea that she also had a cat.
She is in the hospital right now, and will be moving in with her daughter...where there will be 4 dogs. The daughter wanted to find a good home for the cat. She introduced us, and it was love at first sight!
Yesterday morning I brought her home to my place.
She is all black, female, declawed...very affectionate, and her name is Macy (yup, rhymes with Jacy)!

She and Sophie did very well together. Both seem a bit confused, but neither have shown any aggression. (just a few stare-downs and a lot of butt-sniffing). I'm quite delighted to have a cat again...and hoping that eventually cat and ferret will become buddies.

Poor Macy has been alone in that apartment for a while, with the daughter popping in to feed her. How sad is that? I feel like I did a good thing, by bringing her to my place...and so far I'm happy with the results.

Okay, that's all my news!
*massive hugs* to everybody....
jacy

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Actually...it's quite coincidental that you have this wee birdie given the memorials going on over in France just now. Carrier pigeons were used a lot during WWI and II

Here's a story about quite a famous one....

Cher Ami

Cher Ami

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

You're a kind heart. Sophie probably thinks that Macy is just a odd shaped Ferret. I'm sure it will be amusing watching them play.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

and her name is Macy (yup, rhymes with Jacy)!

Well that clears something we had been debating at The Gathering....I was wrong

I thought you pronounced it as in Jacky! Ahhh well Jaseeee it is

Declawed cat!!!!!! Is that a common practice Stateside????? A cat is not a cat without its claws! However well done you for homing her......pics or you haven't of course

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Jane, I just read the story from your link Cher Ami...I've always found the stories about carrier pigeons to be amazing! That was great, really sad but beautiful.

Dawg, thank you! Sophie is a bit fearful of the big furry dinosaur...Macy is confused about all the changes in her life...and I'm crossing my fingers hoping for a big ole happy ending all round.

I'm trying to take some pics of the two of them together (that don't include Sophie's head buried up Macy's behind..."sniff, sniff....what ARE you?") When I get something cute or funny, I'll put it up!

jacy

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Well, the bird was boxed while I was on my lunchbreak, so I have to assume that compared with their wild counterparts, they are rather docile. My mother, as much of a trooper as she is, is not in the sort of physical condition which allows for the sort of chase that would be required to capture an obstinate and terrified bird, determined to avoid capture at all costs. The simple fact of her being able to handle the bird suggests to me that indeed, this bird is very mellow, and well used to human contact.

It barely rustles in its box, but every time you open the box it peers at you with a total lack of concern, just keen interest. We check in on it every hour or so to make sure that it is not too warm in the box, and to ensure that it is looking spritely and so on. The bird seems very comfortable with its current situation, so all seems well at the moment!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Jane....rofl....my initials were JC, and it became a nickname when I was younger.
When I got the internet and needed a 'user name'...I chose Jacy (JC)...BUT...the only Jacy I had ever known in real life was a boy I met on vacation one summer.
So, I thought I better add 'girl' to the end, to identify my gender.

Sadly, yes...it's apparently a North American custom to 'de-claw' cats so they can't ruin your furniture (or scratch the kids, etc.) and these are almost always indoor cats...unless they escape...poor things.
I wouldn't do it to a cat, and once let my 2 cats ruin a sofa because I told my kids (and friends) that I like the cats more than the sofa.
The fact that Macy was declawed was just a bonus for Sophie, because I don't want them hurting each other (what's done is done, whether I agree with the process or not).
I will always care for something with a heartbeat above anything material...that's just my nature.

jacy

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Speaking of keeping posted...

Here is the box the bird has been in since Wednesday...

It may display upside down... Bloody photographs!

Here is its box for transport to the seafront..

And here is the bird itself...

There you go.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Here's to hoping that they become best buds.

I've got a few scars over the years from cats, (playing rough with them, so it's expected). I would never declaw a cat. that would be like removing a persons fingers at the first knuckle. Just can't do it.

My Maine Coon Diesel, seemed to always know when he broke skin and would immediately stop rough housing, even if I didn't know he cut me. Here he is eating my foot. That foot BTW is 11 inches just to give a size reference.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Where's the sponser stickers, and number.

And helmet! My Dawg! That bird lives dangerously!

I was hoping that it would have flames painted on it at least.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

True...aww, what a pretty bird!
Where is the pic of you feeding it a worm? You know, from your mouth to pigeon's beak? (momma-bird style, lol)

Oh geez, trying to sit here on the computer is a challenge at the moment. Sophie thinks the kitty litter box is a sandbox, and keeps kicking it out all over the floor. The cat keeps climbing onto my lap and wrapping her paws around me, like a hug.
Life is infinitely better with critters!

jacy

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Here's the Birds problem. You need to show him one of these before you release him.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Ohhh Dawg...that pic of the kitty and ferret is adorable! (Ferret looks like my Stinky...now she would have been great with a cat!)
Diesel is beautiful! I've been scratched a lot too in the past, but I know it was never intended to hurt me...just rough play!
I've been watching videos of ferrets with different animals...so funny, I laughed until I cried. I love seeing different species getting along together. (now if only people could do that!)

jacy

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I am all out of worms at the moment. I could rustle up a noodle I guess, but I do not think that racing pigeons eat Chinese food.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I am all out of worms at the moment. I could rustle up a noodle I guess, but I do not think that racing pigeons eat Chinese food.

ahh...hahahaha...Yeah, I wouldn't advise dangling your noodle near that sharp beak!

I'm not even sure what pigeons eat...and am having a hard time typing because I have an arm full of cat right now...I think I have my own cuddle-monster now, lol...

jacy & macy

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join