It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: No More Lies- Deceiving The Art Of Deception

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
A new study conducted by Dr. Scott Faro, director of the Functional Brain Imaging Center at Temple University School of Medicine in Philadelphia may provide the ultimate technology for determining truthfullness in human responses to questions. The study is based around the use of fMRI technology, meaning "functional magnetic resonance imaging," and which uses a strong magnet to provide a real-time picture of brain activity. The analysis of the ten volunteers involved showed clear differences in parts of the brain when lying and when telling the truth.

www.alertnet.org
WASHINGTON, Nov 29 (Reuters) - Brain scans show that the brains of people who are lying look very different from those of people who are telling the truth, U.S. researchers said on Monday.

While giving their "testimony," the volunteers were hooked up both to a conventional polygraph and also had their brain activity imaged using fMRI, which used a strong magnet to provide a real-time picture of brain activity.

There were clear differences between the liars and the truth-tellers, Faro's team told a meeting in Chicago of the Radiological Society of North America.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well the implications of this are grand, indeed. Although very expensive, this machine and the techniques described could turn the tables on high-profile crime, terrorism, episonage, war, and maybe even on politics. Expensive now, but cheap later. We all know how rapidly technology propogates and is reduced in cost. Imagine a world where there are no more lies. Inconceivable? Read the article!

Related News Links:
www.fmri.org
www.functionalmri.org
defiant.ssc.uwo.ca

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
n/a

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Well I am sure that is what they said when the first testing machine came front.

Now we don't even consider it as evidence.

I wonder how long it will be before people find a way to decieve this one.

Surf

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
lol, surf, that'd be pretty hard considering this device is actually looking into the various parts of the brain and showing imaging from them. They have identified the parts of the brain that are active while telling a lie, and those active while telling the truth. A lot more testing is needed, of course, but these initial runs are
indeed!

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
There is this theory that people can be hypnothically conditioned to think of false memories as true memories.

That way the person would be telling a lie, but won't know that.

Haha, beat the machine!

Maybe we can also think that we aren't lieing, so those parts won't have the light bulbs go above their heads, I mean in my head, no...whatever.

Surf

IBM

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:09 AM
link   
[edit on 30-11-2004 by IBM]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Having a vision: walking into the new lie-detector room acting like a chicken after having been to see a hypnotist...

Ever seen one of those crazy shows on TV bout hypnotists?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Having a vision: walking into the new lie-detector room acting like a chicken after having been to see a hypnotist...

Ever seen one of those crazy shows on TV bout hypnotists?

lol

Probably have, but don't remember.

I wonder what IBM had to say.

Surf

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
IBM? OH, yeah now I see...no post...

Well, seeing as this is a thread about lie-detectors, probably something like "I love Macs."

new topics

top topics

join