It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado boy punished for drawing (picture) of a handgun during assignment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

A Colorado second grader was disciplined after he drew a picture of a handgun during an assignment where students look up to the clouds and draw what they see.

Kody Smith, 8, went outside May 14, looked up to the sky and saw a big fluffy handgun, KKTV.com reported. When he showed the drawing to his teacher at Talbott Elementary in Widefield, which is southeast of Colorado Springs, he was reprimanded.

From Fox news

^^^^Kids Picture ^^^^

Oh it gets worse, so not only is this kid punished for doing what the teacher told him to do...ie draw a picture of what he thinks the cloud looks like to him...

The school reportedly filed a behavior report claiming he is disruptive to the school---WTF????? for doing what he was told too to do????

Look I get it, in this age everyone gets a little crazy about guns in the schools but come on... it was only a hand drawn picture of one done by and 8yo---

edit on 23-5-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

As a kid in the late 70s and 80s, we'd play cops and robbers or cowboys and indians. We'd run round with cap guns and toy rifles and hide out in the area or off in the woods. It was healthy, energetic and none of us went on to kill anyone.

Now a kid can't even draw a gun, 'indian' has become offensive and too many kids never stray from Xboxes and the refrigerator lol.

I'm not saying times were better then, just pointing out that not every change is a good one.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I always hated being picked to be the cowboy.
Cowboys always got tied up and scalped.
yup, lots more fun to be an Indun!

So an 8yo can't draw a picture of a handgun but it's perfectly okay to send him home and let him play Halo

seems to me there's something wrong about that???

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The school system really needs to lighten up before they cause some psychological issues in kids like this. There taught its okay to kill people in video games but in real life you can't even draw a gun, seriously contradictory. Society is stupid
edit on 23-5-2014 by Shepard64 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There's more violence in the gym dodgeball game than anything this kid has done.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
i was hoping to see a picture of it.

Its a handgun, not Mohammed.

Big #ing deal.

edit on b2828142 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

So an 8yo can't draw a picture of a handgun but it's perfectly okay to send him home and let him play Halo.

...and whilst playing the realistic CoD learn the filthiest lingo the world has to offer too! 'Die you [insert racial or homophobic noun) mother******!'

No drawing guns though? Crazy...

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

ask and yea shall receive

Here's the link to the original KKTV 11 web site and the story fox posted

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Well the Fox News source is completely bereft of useful information (big surprise) but they did link to a local TV station site which also failed to present an accurate account of the events but at least was kind enough to allow a momentary glimpse of the document his parents received.

I'll transcribe what it said under Explanation of Incident:

When given the directions to draw from his imagination what they saw in the clouds, Kody drew a gun and stated that he knew that he was not supposed to. He asked the teacher if he could [can't see the rest].

He wasn't actually punished, but apparently he was traumatized because his mother was called? Seems like a whole lot of histrionics. I guess being questioned about the incident on TV isn't adding to his trauma though.

Is this "behavior report" stupid? Of course it is. Was this kid drawing a gun because he felt like it? Yep. Has he suffered irreparable damage to his imagination? Gee. Seems that the bigger problem is that this relatively minor event in his life was turned into a national news story to manufacture some "pro-gun" propaganda. I'm sure he's much more likely to remember it 10 years from now after that.

edit on 2014-5-23 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

A quote from KKTV read's

Because it was a gun, the teacher at Talbott Elementary in Widefield called him into the office, and then filed a behavior report. His parents say that's too much.

“It hurts. It hurts that he was so scared for being penalized for his imagination,” said Kody’s father, Jeff Smith.

“He’s 8 years old. He was doing exactly what he was told to do for the assignment,” said Kody’s mother, Angel Rivers.

that sounds like the school over reacted to me.
all over a silly picture.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
when I was in the first grade I drew a picture of nazi war planes shooting stick figures on a folder for class. My teacher saw the drawings and was horrified, like i was going to be the next hitler in training. What she didnt know was my mother had a boyfriend who watched wings and world war two documentaries religiously. I had to explain why I drew the pictures to the teacher and when I was done she made me write 2 paragraphs on why it was bad. Then my mother had to explain to the teacher why I drew what I drew after class.

This teacher took the very crudely drawn picture and showed it to the class then read what I had wrote as some form of punishment like a 6 year old could understand the complexity of war and genocide. I was then forced to sit outside for the remainder of the class until my mother was called in to pick me up and have a sit down discussion with the teacher and me. My mother understandably was livid at the teacher once i explained what I was forced to do over a stick figure drawing on a folder. humiliation, extra work and forced out of the class for a day. the concept of
boys will be boys was lost on this lady.

This has been happening for awhile and im in my mid 30s. feminism and liberalism is forced into the fabic of every level of education in this country forcing conformity that is unatural with boys and men.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I think some parents need to discuss the psychology of projection with this teacher. I did once, and it shut her right up.

In 1st grade my youngest sons teacher had them all lay down on a big sheet of paper and trace themselves. My son happily did so, and stood up proud of what he had produced. When he asked the teacher for the colors so he could color himself in, she looked at what he had drawn and gasped, "WHAT DID YOU DRAW?!?".

He had drawn an outline of himself. And when he drew around his legs, the seam that runs in the crotch of his jeans came out as a little bump on the drawing. So when she questioned him, he at first didn't know what to say as he didn't know what she was talking about. She was accusing him of drawing a naked depiction of himself, of all things.

We had a conference with the principle, which when concluded had resulted in her being left visibly shaken by the belittling she recieved.

Since that point, he has not shown any further interest in art at school.

Parents: do not let your kids schools crush them under the weight of authority. If you are Texan, that authority is actually yours. I suspect similar is true throughout the US.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
He can thank liberals in 10 years when he is as equally poor as everyone else and gets repeatedly victimized by the people who can't remember that guns have been outlawed.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I get the impression childhood is being made illegal in today's world. Sad.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Schools don't have a clue, they lost it somewhere. They seem to be more worried about a drawing then the object that did the drawing.... I'm talking about the pencil. That pencil can kill someone.

The schools have more weapons that are used in every day schooling.

Here is my list, add to it if you like.

These object can also be used as weapons.

Books
Pencils or pens
Rulers
Paper
Chairs
Tables
Paper clips
Staplers
Any type a ball
Track shoes (some have spikes on them)
Cleats
Baseball bat
Plastic eating utensils

The list is so long.... But they worry more about a drawing.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Famouszor

If a child drew a picture of:
Books
Pencils or pens
Rulers
Paper
Chairs
Tables
Paper clips
Staplers
Any type a ball
Track shoes
Cleats
Baseball bat
Plastic eating utensils

they would not be in trouble. Why?

Because the liberal teachers unions who take their orders from the democrat establishment do not want any of THOSE items banned.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Because the liberal teachers unions who take their orders from the democrat establishment do not want any of THOSE items banned.

There's no need to inject the contentious terms: liberal, unions, democrat

Teachers don't 'want any of THOSE items banned' because they are central to delivering the curriculum. Try teaching without any of the listed items. We're talking about schools here...not high security prison wings where 'paper' and 'rulers' can be converted into shivs.

It's hardly a conspiracy that schools require stationary and sports equipment.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

My apologies. Name me some conservative teacher's unions in the US for me. Conservative ANY unions for that matter.

You can't. There is a connection and I included that term for that reason. My use of 'contentious' terms is likely only contentious to those who are 'offended' by it.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This is just an example of "The President's Plan to Reduce Gun Violence".

new topics

join