It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eliminate itching from Mosquito, Sand Fly, Spider and other really irritating bites.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Taking a very hot shower works wonders for poison ivy itch as well.. we all know we shouldn't scratch since it just makes it worse so anything that can relive the itch is always helpful

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
A remedy I found on the internet works great for me...Peel a banana...Eat the banana...Rub the pulp side of the banana peel on the bite...Itch goes away quickly and stays away...Works for me every time...

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I use OFF so I don't get bit. But if one of those skeeters sneaks one in on me I use cortisone cream (not oil base). If I get stung I put a cold mud pack on it. Sucks the stinger out. Its amazing what a little cold mud will do. Pop said it was what the Indians use to do.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
wonderful - want to hear all the remedies.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

It works with poison ivy too. i've been doing this since i was about 10 years old

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I think better than this would be to avoid getting bit in the first place.

Here is a suggestion:

Many people do not like to put bug spray because of harsh synthetic chemicals like deet.

There are many natural oils that are very effective in preventing bug bites; namely - Eucalyptus and NEEM oil. (There is also catnip oil but it has a strong smell and attracts felines.)

Neem also has a slightly funky odor so don't mix in too much. I think Neem is one of the most effective.

You dilute these active oils in water and/or oil (like olive, almond, etc.), put in a fine mist spray bottle, shake, then mist. Reapply every so many hours.

Not sure exact percentages so experiment.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Ive been putting hot water on my poison oak and ivy for years. It gives the sensation of scratching it, without making it spread. Shower is the best place of course.
edit on 25-5-2014 by Illuminawty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I always found that rubbing a dandelion leaf works wonders.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Just rub cow poop on it.

I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

I just use anti-itch cream, but the tape method works really well.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Does cow poop work? I propose, as it was your suggestion, you be the guinea pig.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

All right! I'll do it!! But I will sit on your couch during the experiment

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

This method seems far easier than thermonuclear weapons, which are often difficult to obtain.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This may sound a little gross. If you get stung by a jellyfish, piss on it. It works.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Yes, I've heard that nuculer missiles are hard to come by. Just between you and me, I'm hoping that's going to continue.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Another one to add to your list is menthol vapor rub, known as 'Vick' in the UK.

Just take a blob, dab it on the bite or sting, rub it in and voila..no itch and relieves the sting pain.

Also has the handy side effect of drying the bite or sting site and speeds up healing for no scarring.

Got the tip from a local island guide from the Cook Islands, after my missus was bitten by a nasty, and it was starting to give her real trouble...pain, itching, weeping and getting bigger and bigger...the 'Vick' stopped the pain and itch immediately, and within a few hours, the whole thing went from a weeping swollen sore, to a small dry scab that went in a day.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
This may sound a little gross. If you get stung by a jellyfish, piss on it. It works.

Vinegar works for a jellyfish sting too, and for bee / wasp stings.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

A word of caution with vinegar and jellyfish.

Recent studies have apparently demonstrated that vinegar makes a Box Jellyfish sting even worse than it already is.

Click here for linkification

Apparently pee does work but it can't be too watery.

One other suggestion, albeit controversial, is a cigarette burn to the sole of the foot. I'd say that'd take your mind off of pretty much anything, possibly even thermonuclear weaponry.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Thanks for the correction on the vinegar thing, seriously wouldn't want to make a JF sting worse.

But i can personally attest to the menthol vapor run or Vicks things working very well, used it myself many times.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell
a reply to: MysterX

A word of caution with vinegar and jellyfish.

Recent studies have apparently demonstrated that vinegar makes a Box Jellyfish sting even worse than it already is.

Click here for linkification

Apparently pee does work but it can't be too watery.

One other suggestion, albeit controversial, is a cigarette burn to the sole of the foot. I'd say that'd take your mind off of pretty much anything, possibly even thermonuclear weaponry.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

Placing the affected limb inside an operating wood chipper should also relieve some of the minor secondary effects of cigarette burns sustained while attempting to ameliorate insect bite itches.

And, should you continue to feel some discomfort, one could always place one's head in a 100 ton press for some quick relief.

Please note that swallowing two house bricks is NOT an effective remedy. It is an old wives tale and can actually cause serious gastric discomfort.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

That's weird, as it is still kept on hand all over Aussie beaches for just this reason. Unless in the Phillipines or Austrailia though, pretty slim chance of encountering this guy....

I always just used real aloe, right from the plant, and it seems to do the trick, if you don't mind the area being a little sticky. Taking a scalding hot shower after fireants though (then immediately putting it to cold), seems to do the trick for us here though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join