It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eliminate itching from Mosquito, Sand Fly, Spider and other really irritating bites.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I thought I’d post this as I have recently discovered the reason why this technique works.

Undoubtedly there are numerous others here that are well aware of this technique and this may well have been posted already. IMO worth a revisit if both or either is case.

I’ve been doing this for about 16 years, and it involves hot water, really hot water, not hot enough to breach your own pain threshold, just enough to give you a warm glow.

IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT TRY THIS UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRUGS OR ALCOHOL OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT MAY IMPEDE YOUR CAPACITY TO DETERMINE OR RIGISTER PAIN.

If you’ve been smashed by the little blighters and have a few itchy bites or dozens perhaps, or even have no flat skin left on your person, jump into the shower and use the following;

1. Turn on both hot & cold taps.
2. Clean yourself as normal and rinse off any soap.
3. Slowly start to turn off the cold tap.
4. Stop turning the cold tap off BEFORE you reach your pain threshold, you should know that point.
5. Rub the bite area(s) with the palm of your hand.
6. Continue the above until the itching has stopped (it should be quite quick, about 30 seconds or so.)
7. Exit the shower, by which time there should be no more itching. If there is a small amount of itching it should dissipate before you exit the bathroom.
8. Repeat the above if necessary.

After following the above you may experience a whole body tingling sensation. This is entirely normal; personally I equate it to having done the job properly. You should now experience about 8 hours of relief, just enough for a good night sleep.

Interestingly I have found this process to be some orders of magnitude better than antihistamine pills, topical creams or other such snake oil.

And now the reveal;

“The heat causes all the histamine (the protein used by the body to initiate immune responses, which include irritation and itching) in the skin surrounding the bite to be released at once.” From the source referred to below.

I discovered this on This wikiHOW page which also contains numerous other possible reliefs from the symptoms as described. It’s probably been there for ever and a day. What a voyage of discovery life is.

Hopefully for some this will bring some restful nights.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell
edit on 23-5-2014 by myselfaswell because: stupis dinget spellinf

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
i get bitten all the time, and while yours is probably a good thing, it looks very time consuming... here's another easier, quicker, and probably cheaper way.... cover the bite with sellotape, this deprives the bite of oxygen which would ordinarily make it itch. the tape needs renewing a few times a day but it's the ONLY thing i've ever found that stops the itching... repeat till bite goes away

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyteeny

Cool, that's a new one, I'll give it a try the next time I get smashed when I'm out fishing up the creeks.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
for single bites, or just a couple, I was told once when i was young to take your fingernail (or a nail file) and very firmly indent an "X" into the bite. Hard enough so you can see the indentation and it doesn't immediately go away. I've always done it and it works for me.

When I get into situations where I end up with multiple bites from mosquitos or something, I do agree that a hot shower does work. I normally take very hot showers anyway, as hot as I can tolerate them.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell
a reply to: ladyteeny

Cool, that's a new one, I'll give it a try the next time I get smashed when I'm out fishing up the creeks.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

it really works, when i found it i could've practically sunk to my knees to thank a non existent god

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

I do this quite a bit, especially with extra irritating bites, usually found on my feet as they hang out of the covers at night when I sleep.

I never thought to share it as I thought telling people to scold themselves with hot water wouldn't go over very well, but yeah it works very well.

ETA: Should add that I don't rub or touch the bite at all, don't even run cold water over it, I just let it be.

edit on 23-5-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: CoherentlyConfused

I've tried that more times than tongue can tell. Doesn't really work all that well for me.

I have found that when I get say 12 or more bites my body has a delayed reaction and on occasion 50+ wont react for about 36 hours.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

You are quite right, the water does have to be quite hot, the risk of scolding though I find is near zero.

Seriously, some of the episodes that I could tell you about that I have experienced personally, and seen others suffer with make me itch just thinking about them.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
One other that I forgot to mention is the stinging caterpillar. Got smashed real bad about 3 months ago, just above the belt line. That took about 2 months to get rid of that one, hot water treatment at least got me to sleep at night.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell
One other that I forgot to mention is the stinging caterpillar. Got smashed real bad about 3 months ago, just above the belt line. That took about 2 months to get rid of that one, hot water treatment at least got me to sleep at night.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

Ouch that one sounds painfull.

I got attacked by a paper wasp when I was a kid, it got caught under my shirt while I was climbing a conifer in the back yard trying to retrieve a ball.

It got in half a dozen stings before I squashed it!

Now that was painful

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I've always just rubbed a freshly cut piece of onion on the bug bite, takes the sting out instantly. For a more painful bug bite, just tape the slice of onion over the bite and the pain/itch/swelling will be gone in a couple of hours.

There's something in the onion juice...

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

As a Surveyor I could tell you a few stories about paper wasps. Once I was clearing a line through some bamboo up on an island in the Torres Straits, at the top was a fairly significant nest, I didn't see it. As I pulled the bamboo down and pushed it out, smasho, straight to the eyes, as usual. Felt like being cracked across the face with a baseball bat.

Indeed, stinging caterpillars are very much an acquired taste, apparently. Really wouldn't recommend that one.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell
No idea about anything except mosquito bites, but since moving to Holland I found out I had an allergy to their bites. Here's my cheap, simple effective solution for stopping the itching completely.

Do not damage the wound, put one drop of lemon juice (can be lemon juice concentrate as is sold in the supermarkets) directly on the bite and let it sit there. Let the lemon juice "dry" on the skin. Itch gone. If not, repeat again. Generally only the wordt and itchiest bites require more than one drop, in my experience.

Hope it helps.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Also a new one for me. It's on the list for pain relief.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

I take your point and as with all of the other alternatives so far they're on the list.

I suppose the point is that hot water is going to be easier to access than any exotic remedy. Lemon on the other hand when you are out fishing, yeah I'll pay that.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Carmolis drops rid you of mosquito bite itching. Add these to your survival pack if you don't have a hot shower available...

I've also heard milk works if you mix with water and let it dry on the skin.

Better still to avoid the bites. Most bugs can't stand the smell of mint or peppermint. Worth a try.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Does rubbing Tea Tree oil on a bite or itch help, or is that just for poison ivy exposure?
edit on 23-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Rubbing alcohol works good too!!

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
For fire ants (down here in the deep south) no amount of bug repellent of any kind will keep those little buggers off and from biting/stinging you, and believe me it feels like being burned, too. I found, quite by accident, that Deep Woods Cutter Off(R) if sprayed on the bites immediately after they occur will stop the pain and greatly reduce the inflammation. I have no idea why it works on fire ant bites, but it does and I keep several cans handy for my grandchildren (and me).

Also, after 24 hours the bites will fester like small pimples. Doctors tell me not to pop them for fear of infection, but if I don't they will scar the skin. Popping them relieves the pain/pressure and the skin will not scar.

I was brought up not to hate anything, but I hate fire ants!

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Mix Vapo-Rub with salt and apply to the bites. I deal with chigger bites a lot and this is the only thing that works for me. The hot shower thing does provide temporary relief, but only lasts for about an hour.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join