I thought I’d post this as I have recently discovered the reason why this technique works.
Undoubtedly there are numerous others here that are well aware of this technique and this may well have been posted already. IMO worth a revisit if
both or either is case.
I’ve been doing this for about 16 years, and it involves hot water, really hot water, not hot enough to breach your own pain threshold, just enough
to give you a warm glow.
IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT TRY THIS UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRUGS OR ALCOHOL OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT MAY IMPEDE YOUR CAPACITY TO DETERMINE OR RIGISTER
If you’ve been smashed by the little blighters and have a few itchy bites or dozens perhaps, or even have no flat skin left on your person, jump
into the shower and use the following;
1. Turn on both hot & cold taps.
2. Clean yourself as normal and rinse off any soap.
3. Slowly start to turn off the cold tap.
4. Stop turning the cold tap off BEFORE you reach your pain threshold, you should know that point.
5. Rub the bite area(s) with the palm of your hand.
6. Continue the above until the itching has stopped (it should be quite quick, about 30 seconds or so.)
7. Exit the shower, by which time there should be no more itching. If there is a small amount of itching it should dissipate before you exit the
8. Repeat the above if necessary.
After following the above you may experience a whole body tingling sensation. This is entirely normal; personally I equate it to having done the job
properly. You should now experience about 8 hours of relief, just enough for a good night sleep.
Interestingly I have found this process to be some orders of magnitude better than antihistamine pills, topical creams or other such snake oil.
And now the reveal;
“The heat causes all the histamine (the protein used by the body to initiate immune responses, which include irritation and itching) in the skin
surrounding the bite to be released at once.” From the source referred to below.
I discovered this on This wikiHOW page
which also contains numerous other possible
reliefs from the symptoms as described. It’s probably been there for ever and a day. What a voyage of discovery life is.
Hopefully for some this will bring some restful nights.
edit on 23-5-2014 by myselfaswell because: stupis dinget spellinf