It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Welsh Dragon Flag Is The Devil And Should Be Changed, Says Christian Party

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

A group of Christians say Wales's national flag is "demonic" and should be changed.

The Welsh Christian Party claims the red dragon on the nation's standard is at odds with the country's position as a Christian nation. It wants the flag to be replaced with the black and gold cross of St David.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk... 3_lnk5%26pLid%3D266402

I know there are not many Welsh members here, and it will turn out to be a storm in a tea cup.
Wales in my view was never really what one would call a Christian nation, in the sense that christianity was foisted on it by the methodist and baptist etc sects of he christian church.

HOWEVER, what has piqued my interest is the suggestion of the St David's flag. To be honest I had never heard of such a thing, so....google is my friend......I went hunting.

The history of the flag is somewhat obscure, though it seems to have emerged at the beginning of the 20th century. One theory is that it was developed to fly atop Anglican churches in Wales, in the same way that the St George's Cross was flown outside churches in England, though since 1954 churches are more likely to fly a flag bearing the armorial bearings of the Church in Wales, granted that year.

en.wikipedia.org...

This is what it looks like

I know which one I prefer! What say you my fellow ATS'ers?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

that's one good way for the " Christian party " to sabotage their own election chances

oh wait --- that will let them claim " persecution " when they get no votes

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
There's a Christian political party????????
Well I suppose religion was our 'political party' of rule all over the world in eons past...but good grief!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
This is silly if true. Im a christian and think this is not going to win them any votes at all.

I think most christians would never associate the dragon on the welsh flag as the devil. I always thought it was a pretty cool flag. They should keep it, and Im sure they will.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I think the Welsh people themselves alone have the right to decide which flag they want to represent them.

I do see it is a group of Welsh Christians who seem to want the change, so perhaps its actually being done for some publicity stunt?

Personally I like the Welsh Dragon and would be sorry to see it go. There is something about religious fundamentalism that makes my skin crawl! I can't stand any form of it from any group of them. To me a man/woman wielding a bible or anyh other religious book like a weapon says one thing to me only - I can't think for myself and neither do I want you doing it - whoever you are!

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Yes, in the UK we have muslim, jewish, wicca...etc based political parties. Mostly unheared of but they exist and only ever last till after elections. I only found this out myself a month ago. I would never vote for them but even if I wanted to I wouldnt have even known about them.

The satanists are forming a party too I hear for the next elections. They will get zero publicity though. Just the 3 or 4 main ones get the publicity.

They are very localised parties and not everyone can vote for then in their area.

In Leeds a few years ago we had the official Jedi party, they did quite well too.
edit on 23-5-2014 by greavsie1971 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
OK, update, apparently this came out back in 2007 and it was dumped. It's old news that has been mistakenly resurrected. However I am still curious about the St David flag. I can honestly say I have never seen it fly anywhere like you do with the St George, St Andrew or Kernow flags.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: greavsie1971

Jedi principles are pretty well fine with me although I would prefer a republic rather than royalty and its over priviledge
for a very bland self-service service. We have so much going on as a family that we totally forgot to vote but will hopefully be better suited when the general election comes along.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
OK, update, apparently this came out back in 2007 and it was dumped. It's old news that has been mistakenly resurrected. However I am still curious about the St David flag. I can honestly say I have never seen it fly anywhere like you do with the St George, St Andrew or Kernow flags.

Rainbows
Jane

Heres a good read.....

St Davids Flag

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   

First of all, as a person of both Welsh descent, and as a believer in Christ, I have to say that I find this suggestion utterly disgusting, thoughtless, and ignorant of the historical importance of the Welsh cultural identity, and how its flag plays into that.

Although it was only adopted as the official flag of Wales in 1959, the dragon which features in it is of such historical importance that to do away with it would be to totally invalidate and ignore the rich and vibrant history that is associated with the standard. The dragon, or one very much like it, was carried to the third crusade by Richard I, was fought under by Henry III at the battle of Lewes, and was used by Owain Glyndwr during his revolt at the occupation of Wales by the English crown. Not only that, but the standard has significance to so much of the society of ancient Romano-British culture, being possibly derived from standards bought here by the Romans.

Also, Henry Tudor fought Richard III for the throne under that banner, and used his Welsh ancestral roots to garner support, gain safe passage through Wales, and took the throne as a result of these things.

Historically and culturally, the standard featuring the red dragon could not be more important to the deep culture of Britain, and the Britons, and to do away with it, as we have done away with so many of our cultural identifiers since those days, would be a staggering balls up of unmatched proportions, since it is one of the few remaining remnants of the ancient cultures which used to dwell here.

I wear a pin with a British flag upon it. I am proud of all the elements which make up my ancestry, from all four corners of these isles. But by far the part of my ancestry I am most proud of, is the Welsh segment. Both my grandfathers are from there, and I have never felt quite as comfortable ANYWHERE, that I have ever been. I also love the history of Wales, and despite the late adoption of the dragon on white and green, as the official Welsh flag, it is part of the history of the country I love most, of all the nations which make up the United Kingdom.

I for one find the suggestion to be ill informed, and not rooted in Christianity, but in idiocy.

There is evidence to suggest that it was

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

If you go to St Davids, the actual place, with the cathedral and such (which is bloody GORGEOUS by the way) you will see the flag, or flags inspired by it, next to bloody everywhere, or rather, that was how it was last time I was down that way.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Not being Welsh myself but certainly proud of my Irish blood, I came across this guy who seems to know quite well the history of the Welsh Flag and eventual origins :

When discussing flags of Wales, one must start with the most recognisable and famous banner the country possesses, “Y Ddraig Coch”. To many people, including the average Welshman, this is the only flag the nation has and many will be surprised to learn just how recent official recognition of a seemingly ageless flag was.

Accepted as an official flag by the British Government only in 1959, the flag consists of a passant Red Dragon on a Green and White background, often considered a field.

Although only just over 60 years old, the flag and its significance has been felt by the Welsh people for centuries.

The Red Dragon itself was thought to have been brought to these lands by the Romans but it’s first clear connection to Wales came with its involvement in the mysterious Welsh prophecies.

Allegedly the Wizard Myrddin (commonly known as Merlin) told a story of an underground duel between a White Dragon and a Red one, the white beast representing the invading Saxon warriors whom were attempting to suppress the native Welsh people.

Merlin allegedly prophesised that the White Dragon would dominate at first but would eventually succumb as the Red Dragon and thus the Welsh people would rise up and vanquish their enemy.

This link between Merlin and the Red Dragon was further lend credence if not actual historical fact by the association of the Red Dragon as a flag symbol with the mythical Arthur, King of the Britons.

What is not shrouded in historical cynicism is that the banner was definitely used by the Gwynedd King, Cadwaladr, whom has a reputation as one of the greatest Welsh leaders of the era.

More here : nathenamin.com...

On a more personal note... what the blummin heck are Neo Christian groups trying to do in fiddling in traditional cultural history and national treasures that have nothing to whatsoever with a fairy tale that was started off a couple of hundred or so years ago and bastardized by a bunch of brainwashed individuals...

They should keep to preaching about what is in the book that they so lovingly believe and cherish and keep their noses out of traditional and cultural ancestory/heraldry...

Satan indeed...?

More like proverbial Taurine faecal matter coming out of brainwashed gobsh**es...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 23/5/14 by Rodinus because: Crap grammar...

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus
Lovely to have you back Rod, and thank you and all the other posters for all your contributions.

So in effect, if the dragon 'a ddyru gychwyn' (passant) started with the Romans , regardless of it's most recent adaptation/addition of the white and the green, it would make it the oldest (although adapted) flag in the world would it not?

My nationalistic pride does have to say, to me, it is the most recognisable, beautiful and 'story telling' flag in the world.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

If you go to St Davids, the actual place, with the cathedral and such (which is bloody GORGEOUS by the way) you will see the flag, or flags inspired by it, next to bloody everywhere, or rather, that was how it was last time I was down that way.

Blummin heck TB...

If it is the same St Davids Cathedral that I visited back in 1980... I honked up in the bogs after some dickhead passed around a bottle of Woodpecker Cider on the school bus...

From what I can remember as a nerdy tosspot teenager... a wonderful place...

Will bring my wife and son back there one day when we can afford the trip.

Warmest respects

Rod
edit on 23/5/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Let the welsh fly their red dragon flag ..

As to the christians .. they need to learn to mind their own damn business and stop cramming their primitive barbaric narrowminded beliefs down everyones throat ..

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I am an English man and I firmly believe the Welsh are the TRUE Britons.

DO NOT CHANGE THEIR FLAG

It probably represents more than we know or care to understand.

If its not broken don't try fix it.

Christian political party - don't make me laugh

edit on 23/5/14 by Lucifer84 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23/5/14 by Lucifer84 because: spelling

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucifer84

Hehe....trust somebody with the screename of Lucifer to defend the flag against the christians lol!

Seriously though, thank you for your contribution.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: Rodinus
Lovely to have you back Rod

Thank you... *smiles*

Glad to be back... luckily I had a decent nail file in the cake that was sent by friends

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Other than the mix of Tribes, I am a little of Welsh descent. Proud of all of my ancestors (except my great-grandfather, but that's a long story) and I find this a little troubling. But being in the US, it isn't surprising...we have stalwart Christians who wish for a near theocracy in a land that was supposedly founded on tolerance for all (except my OTHER ancestors who were considered savages).

Keep the Dragon.
An al na thrach veh thus ney thud doyeth thell yen they.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
*coughs*

I have been having a serious think about this actually...

*coughs*

Why not change the dragon for a sheep??

*coughs*

Darned frog in my throat...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join