It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some more from Thailand.. John Kerry speaks...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
www.aljazeera.com...

"There is no justification for this military coup," US Secretary of State John Kerry said in a statement.
Easy for the great statesman from America to say.. There was a continuing stalemate from the Reds and the Yellows which was getting violent with more fire-power being used to persuade those on the otherside to see the one true light... Personally I am glad the military stepped in to stop the mayhem.

"This act will have negative implications for the US-Thai relationship, especially for our relationship with the Thai military. We are reviewing our military and other assistance and engagements, consistent with US law."
US airforce was flying around my part of the woods yesterday in a freshly painted KC-135...

Under US law, with limited exceptions, no US foreign aid may flow to "any country whose duly elected head of government is deposed by military coup d'etat or decree".

The Pentagon said it was reviewing its military cooperation, including an ongoing joint exercise in Thailand involving about 700 US Marines and sailors.
US military aid to Thailand is around $10 mil a year which consist of mostly training and parts for some of the aircraft we sold them IMO.
www.aljazeera.com...

In Thailand, the army is a huge centre of power. It's part of the ruling nexus, which composes of the monarchy, the political establishment and the monied classes.

At the centre of this turbulent vortex is the Thai monarchy and the anxiety over the question of royal succession. The world's longest-reigning monarch, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, is 86-years old and in frail health.

Amidst the widening schism between the vying groups is the question of the traditional role of the Thai monarch as unifying national force.

Yet the monarchy could be about to enter a new and different phase in its evolution in an attempt to adapt to Thailand's new political and social landscape. Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn does not hold the same mesmeric sway over the Thai people as his father. Observers say the prince seems to be increasingly aligned with the Thaksin cause.

Today my observance: Soldiers are posted before government buildings in full dark green camo and helmets. I told one of the troops this morning (it was already upper 80s by 8:30 am that I was sorry for him it was going to get really hot... He just smiled and said it was hot already !

Television is still off as are the radio stations... Still kinda surprised the Internet is working however if they pull the plug I figure it would kill to much business that relies on it.. With a 10 PM curfew I bet the night life will all but dry up.. Low point for tourist season anyway so maybe better to get this stuff out of the way now to make room for the snow birds come fall.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Wait... Huh? Has Kerry and company gone completely and totally insane?????

Yup... Thailand is having issues...and they have them at times, as I understand the ebbs and flows of life in what is ultimately one of the most long term stable nations in that area of the world.

They've just flipped their lids. Gone bonkers... Screw balled themselves right out into Crazytown. I mean Thailand isn't about MONEY for how much, of course, it's about mutual respect and alliance going back over 50 years.....but stuff like this kinda gets a grudge going in a Monarchy. They don't tend to forget 'rude to the level of UGLY AMERICAN with a rank'.... Yikes...

Note to Thailand: Forgive us guys, we didn't all ask for this bumbling buffoon to be Secretary of State and it'll be over in a couple years....hopefully..

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
May I just ask as an ignorant European observer please?... (Not targeted towards the OP but a simple question to all who are "maybe" interested in foreign affairs in order to understand better)...

What the heck does John Kerry have to do with the way that Thailand decides to run their country?

Yet another country being dabbled with by people that have better things to deal with concerning their own citizens rather than stirring up the proverbial poo outside of their proper borders?

Thank you OP, from what I can gather, you are living there... my positive thoughts go out to you and those looking for a more democratic solution.

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 23/5/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

The U.S could absolutely annoy Thailand by cutting them off from the aid they get. It's not a lot, but it's the thought that counts and rude by geo-political standards is an understatement, IMO.

In more serious terms, if they've really lost it on knowing no limit to ambitions in reshaping the world? Thailand has neighbors which really do NOT need lots of help to make new headaches. I mean there are subtle ways State and Defense could really be jerks here and add misery where no one asked for it or needs it.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I guess Kerry got mad because they didn't ask for permission from the big dogs to do the same thing they do all over the globe.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

The U.S could absolutely annoy Thailand by cutting them off from the aid they get. It's not a lot, but it's the thought that counts and rude by geo-political standards is an understatement, IMO.

In more serious terms, if they've really lost it on knowing no limit to ambitions in reshaping the world? Thailand has neighbors which really do NOT need lots of help to make new headaches. I mean there are subtle ways State and Defense could really be jerks here and add misery where no one asked for it or needs it.

Hey, love the new avatar Wrab... ashamed of looking like Beez??... *grins cheekily*

Thanks for your answer...

What gets me is the following... Where the heck do the US manage to get all the money to fund each and every geopolitical operation throughout the world?... I am a little stuck for time as working right now... but would love to find some stats as to just HOW MUCH is pumped out of the poor tax payers over on your neck of the woods to do this?

"Befuzzled I am..." Quote from the great big eared warty skinned philosopher Minch Yoda... Probably...

Kindest respects

Rod
edit on 23/5/14 by Rodinus because: Whoops, crap spelling

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Some more from Thailand.. John Kerry speaks...

I did not know equines could speak...

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Well, I can help de-fuddle you, but I'm not sure it'll be a pleasure, to say the least.

(Source)

I refer back to that for various things regularly and if you download the full dataset, you have all US aid to every nation in the world from World War II to present by type, agency and program. You will want a decent spreadsheet program or database to make the best of that.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Wait... Huh? Has Kerry and company gone completely and totally insane?????

Yup... Thailand is having issues...and they have them at times, as I understand the ebbs and flows of life in what is ultimately one of the most long term stable nations in that area of the world.

They've just flipped their lids. Gone bonkers... Screw balled themselves right out into Crazytown. I mean Thailand isn't about MONEY for how much, of course, it's about mutual respect and alliance going back over 50 years.....but stuff like this kinda gets a grudge going in a Monarchy. They don't tend to forget 'rude to the level of UGLY AMERICAN with a rank'.... Yikes...

Note to Thailand: Forgive us guys, we didn't all ask for this bumbling buffoon to be Secretary of State and it'll be over in a couple years....hopefully..

The US and Kerry is just upset because their boy is 'Carlyle Group' employee Thaksin Shinawatra and the Thai army have just taken his power away for the moment! Apparently, Gen. Prayuth phoned Thaksin at his self imposed exile home in Dubai and offered to allow his to come home, face justice and do his 2 year conviction that he ran away from, under house arrest (no prison). Thaksin refused.....

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Well, I can help de-fuddle you, but I'm not sure it'll be a pleasure, to say the least.

(Source)

I refer back to that for various things regularly and if you download the full dataset, you have all US aid to every nation in the world from World War II to present by type, agency and program. You will want a decent spreadsheet program or database to make the best of that.

Thanks Wrabbit... going to download all of that and study this weekend...

Question... Where can I purchase a tree from which money grows???... One day, somehow, this is going to fall hard because of all the cashflow going out?

Saying that... I live in France and France roughly gives out (or over) about 2 billion € per year for developing countries... (Please take into consideration the ratio of tax payers as to what money is going out... we are a pretty small country compared to the US)... so practically the same... *so to speak?*

Link here... sorry it is in French : www.agoravox.fr...

Sheesh... those developing countries are becoming richer than us "supposedly developed countries?"

Kindest respects

Rod
edit on 23/5/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Hongkongphooey

(sigh)

...and anyone actually wonders why the Flag isn't quite as sharp and the brass fixtures not quite as polished as they once were in our nation? Not to mention, why we aren't exactly everyone's favorite ally. I mean..wow... They were just out trying to overthrow Turkey and got busted talking about it too as I recall.

We just need to leave internal stuff to the people living there. What a novel concept. eh?

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
If thailand is free to handle its affairs its way, then I think people should let the US handle their affairs their way.
Point in note you all jumping on Kerry because he's made a statement saying the Coup was not needed and the US is now reviewing their deals with Thailand.

Its an obvious and understandable position.

Once again you just want to jump on these 'bafoons' for the sake of being internet armchair generals.

The US isn't getting involved, they've simply said this shouldn't have occurred.

calm down, get of your high horses and relax.

Personally, I think this is all to do with China and Vietnam. The US has been the leader of the free world for 70 odd years, you think they aren't going to voice their position?

jebus!

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

What until you see how much the US supported France for Military aid between 1950 and 1964. Gee... I wonder what those annual small fortunes were going for.... (suspense music)

Was it.. Vienna? Vanuatu?...Starts with a V..I'm sure of it...

Ahh well.. It'll come to me. (sad smile) ... The band just plays on endlessly, I suppose.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Once again you just want to jump on these 'bafoons' for the sake of being internet armchair generals.

Actually, No. I'm sick and tired of my own State Department doing everything it seemingly can to turn AWAY Allies and kinda flop around on the world stage like a fish in it's final moments on a sunny dock.

I'd love an effective State Dept. I'll hand that much to Clinton. She did know diplomacy. Kerry has all the tact and manner of Lurch.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   

What until you see how much the US supported France for Military aid between 1950 and 1964. Gee... I wonder what those annual small fortunes were going for.... (suspense music)

Was it.. Vienna? Vanuatu?...Starts with a V..I'm sure of it...

Ahh well.. It'll come to me. (sad smile) ... The band just plays on endlessly, I suppose.

You don't need to tell me mate... I know what the US contributed into for the "war"... nuclear testing etc etc... effort... *cough cough*... "so to speak" during those years... and not to mention also before during WWII...

*Coughs* : I know it is Huff... I am sorry but caught for time right now as currently trying to help one of my clients in saving a chimp...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Here is the music to go with the thread
:

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
If thailand is free to handle its affairs its way, then I think people should let the US handle their affairs their way.
Point in note you all jumping on Kerry because he's made a statement saying the Coup was not needed and the US is now reviewing their deals with Thailand.

Its an obvious and understandable position.

The US isn't getting involved, they've simply said this shouldn't have occurred.

calm down, get of your high horses and relax.

Personally, I think this is all to do with China and Vietnam. The US has been the leader of the free world for 70 odd years, you think they aren't going to voice their position?

jebus!

Er... as I live in Thailand I can comment that the Coup was needed and most Thai people concur as theyw ere fed up with the politicians, corruption, protests and plain clothed (read red shirt) police running around firing M79 grenade launchers at people in Bangkok! This is an internal affair and no need for other countries to get involved (unless they have a player in the game like the US of course).

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
kerry should be b***h'n and reviewing aid to mexico to get that poor vet out of prison, instead!

leave the thai's alone, it's only like the 12th time it's happened and it's still there.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I find it extremely hypocritical of the USA to prop up governments and establish coups elsewhere in the world, only to turn around and consider punishing Thailand and its military for doing what the people wished, and overthrowing a clearly corrupt government.

The USA should stay out of this one, and definitely shouldn't pressure the military into doing undertaking any specific action. This is the 19th coup in Thailand's recent history...i'm sure they know what they are doing.
edit on 23-5-2014 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
I find it extremely hypocritical of the USA to prop up governments and establish coups elsewhere in the world, only to turn around and consider punishing Thailand and its military for doing what the people wished, and overthrowing a clearly corrupt government.

And with all due respect to US citizens... How do the USA still manage to cope with things on their side of the woods when throwing out all of this much needed money that everyone is paying in taxes?

I wish someone would come up with some REALISTIC (if possible) stats performed by an independant and trustworthy... (If possible) entity?

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Does Kerry have an ulterior motive?

Sriracha sauce has skyrocketed in popularity and has cut into the sales of other condiments, most notably ketchup. As part of the Heinz ketchup dynasty, Kerry might be working towards a boycott of all goods from Thailand including sriracha!

Or maybe he is just another idiot politician working on behalf of the oligarchy.

new topics

top topics

join