It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

​Pennsylvania to allow police to search cars without a warrant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Cops in Pennsylvania can now search your car without a warrant,

The states Supreme Court decided that police could search vehicles based solely on probable cause, or an officer’s reasonable belief that the vehicle contained illegal goods or evidence of a crime

If that does not take the cake they are advancing a bill to arrest people with "secret compartments" and seize (steal) their car.

Dang a hole in the seat can be construed as a secret compartment.

The last thing we need in this country is more police authority and power.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled recently that police are allowed to search vehicles without a warrant. Meanwhile, the state General Assembly is advancing a bill to grant police authority to arrest those with “secret compartments” in their vehicles.

In a 4 to 2 decision weeks ago, the state Supreme Court decided that police could conduct searches of vehicles based solely on probable cause, or an officer’s reasonable belief that the vehicle contained illegal goods or evidence of a crime. The new standard puts the state in line with the federal law, which allows warrantless searches of vehicles.

link

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Wow, so sad, how America is turning out to be. Why would any Supreme Court judge decide against their oath they swore to uphold of the constitution?

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
As if out of control cops running amok — blinding women with pepper spray, beating mentally ill people to death and executing flashers in the street wasn't enough, now in PA they can search a car without a warrant. I'm right across the bridge in NJ and I know quite a few people from PA who are pretty upset right now. Hopefully they'll stay as angry until something is done about it.
edit on 2014-5-23 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
As if out of control cops running amok — blinding women with pepper spray, beating mentally ill people to death and executing flashers in the street wasn't enough, now in PA they can search a car without a warrant. I'm right across the bridge in NJ and I know quite a few people from PA who are pretty upset right now. Hopefully they'll stay as angry until something is done about it.

You forgot shooting dogs..

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I saw this last week..... I'm p*ssed! Now when I get pulled over the cop can search my car for "no reason". Probable cause could be touching the yellow, driving too slow, too fast, smoking a cig, having lighters but no cigs, beer on breath, red eyes, driving after midnight. I've been pulled over more often then most people with day jobs, because I drive late at night.

I'm a chef. After a late nights work, sometimes a 12 hour shift, I am beat. My eyes are bloodshot from working around in heat, dehydrated from ovens, grills, heat lamps, etc. I'm tired. My buddies and I go out for a beer or two. I am out of cigs now, smoking my last one on my drive home at 12:30am. I open my ash tray and put my cig out, I must have glanced down to make sure the cherry was in the ash tray. I'm driving over a 3 mile mountain pass that is curvy, and 2 lanes wide my direction. I get pulled over for "grazing the dotted white line" I have alcohol on my breath, now they can hold me up for however long, ask why I have a few bics in my car, but no cigs. Embarrass me, waist my time, to search my personal belongings, and apparently tear my car apart looking for a hidden compartment? What is classified as a hidden compartment? That dash board piece that I lost the screw to when replacing my heater core that just slides right out? He can't find anything, does he let me go? Do I need to wait till the K9 unit arrives (apparently not so much anymore). So they DUI test me, pass. so it's 1:30 now and I'm finally on my way home to take a leak that I've been holding in for an hour while a cop has his way with my personal property.

Great law!

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SixX18
I am getting more and more annoyed at the police in the UK for their treatment of the public - who are not actually the enemy, only the poor s--ds who pay their wages.

Luckily, or for public show only, our Home Secretary I think she is Theresa May gave them a good talking to about public confiden ce and their attitude at their main conference. Most took it on board, which slightly improves one's perspective of the British Police, but some were infuriated and words such as 'Rude" (from the Police)! would you believe and the fact they can't always distinguish between their wished-for truth and the actual truth was drawn to their attention by Ms May.

Our Politicians felt the power of the police when they entered our parliament a few years ago and many MP's have not quite recovered their confidence in their perceived immunity yet, although most of the public cheered the police on for investigating fraud (I think) over expenses and another favourite is using illegal immigrant labour in their homes etc.

I do feel for the women caught in this police honey trap because unless they really do train out preditory behaviour by the police and find ways of protecting especially vulnerable people (I know its not always women, men can be at risk of predatory cops) I think on lonely roads, such as you describe and time of travel, this is not necessarily the best policy to bring in.

I would like to get back to the days before my country seemed to import so many would-be terrorists and simply deport those we are worried about and go back to the time ,before all this terrorism legislation had to be brought it. It spoils our way of life and I do think the benefit/merits of allowing people who could turn on you, needs to be discussed
by us all, who have to put up with these new rules imposed on our lives.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Has that not always been the case?

Reasonable doubt = pretty much any sort of search.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

Completely agree.And I've had many of these probable cause searches.And almost just as many during the day while in a shirt and tie too.The officer's good word as to reason for being stopped.Yeah right.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61

Completely agree.And I've had many of these probable cause searches.And almost just as many during the day while in a shirt and tie too.The officer's good word as to reason for being stopped.Yeah right.

Oh yeah im not saying im okay with it, im just saying that if a cop wants to search your car, they have always been able to.

Cops dont just search random people for no reason, and if they want to, who cares? I dont make a habit of carrying 20 pounds of weed.

edit on b1515445 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Just do whatever they want.

They are supposed to serve and protect us, we pay taxes for them to serve us, and protect. Now they think they need to just give out tickets and put people in jail.
edit on 5/23/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Oh yeah im not saying im okay with it, im just saying that if a cop wants to search your car, they have always been able to.

Cops dont just search random people for no reason, and if they want to, who cares? I dont make a habit of carrying 20 pounds of weed.

Lol.Nor do I and a have a medical marijuana license too!

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: SixX18

They are supposed to serve and protect us, we pay taxes for them to serve us, and protect. Now they think they need to just give out tickets and put people in jail.

Right?One morning I had to call my boss to let him know I would be late for work...Because a cop was tearing my car apart looking for...Anything!

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
How am I not surprised by this? I just moved to PA two years ago and find it has the most back assed laws of anywhere in the country...and I lived in the deep south for six years. First time I had to go to court, some old asshat with an ornately carved seven foot long staff stamped it on ground to bring court to order. I'm amazed they dont have witch trials here.

Thanks for the heads up.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Lol.Nor do I and a have a medical marijuana license too!

Yeah? License or not, EVERY state around PA has medicinal laws...I live in the armpit right by Delaware and Maryland...trust me. You do NOT want to be caught with your script here. It'll cost you a couple grand in court charges and drug court if you want it expunged. Plus the hassles...just dont cross the border. This is coming from someone with glaucoma who could benefit by moving ten miles.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Well, there we go. We all knew it would happen someday, and that day has come. We just crossed that line that should have never been crossed. The United States can no longer be considered a free country.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

A few things about my wonderful state of PA! /end sarcasm

They have been pretty much doing that for the past ten years anyways! All the officer needs to do is say, "I smell "a certain drug" and they have their in to search your vehicle. Usually in the past it meant bring out a drug dog, and as we all know, they can be coached to key on a false positive.

Get pulled over for a traffic stop? EVERYONE in the car gets searched anyways, if the officer so chooses. After all, it is for their safety.

The hidden compartment thing is total garbage. If someone buys a used car, and they pretty much do as everyone else, "JUST DRIVE THE DAMN THING!". How in the hell are they going to know there is a hidden compartment????

I would also like to mention, that so far the outrage of this court ruling seems to be only coming from the Democrats in the state house and so far not a peep out of our Republican representatives........

Anyhow, been keeping an eye on this ruling since it happened and waiting for some officials on the "Right" especially Governor Corbett to weigh in on it.

Seems to me the State police and many sheriffs departments in the state have already been Federalized.

With an election coming up, I have already sent out a few emails asking a few of these clowns when they plan on signing the contract with CCA........

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

SixX18, there is your problem right there. Even the SCOTUS has said the the police are not there to protect us. Once everyone realizes that the paradigm the police operate under is to put as many 'criminals' behind bars as possible, the better they will know how to interact with them. If they are not putting people in jail, whatever the cost, then they are not doing their job. If they are not doing their job, then why are they on the force?

Get rid of the notion that the police are there to help you. Why do you think they don't want to be filmed? It is because they absolutely have something to hide. Remember, as a citizen, you have done something against the law at sometime your lifetime so therefore you are guilty. There is no such thing as an innocent individual. Or so LEO's believe.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Seems like a ripe opportunity for someone to booby trap their car just to prove a point. "Sure you can search my car, but first please sign this waiver and understand you are searching my car at your own risk".

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Seems like a ripe opportunity for someone to booby trap their car just to prove a point. "Sure you can search my car, but first please sign this waiver and understand you are searching my car at your own risk".
You took the words right out of my mind!!!

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
More boots stepping on the Bill of Rights!

Way to go Pennsylvania!

This is an epidemic all over the country. Things like probable cause, suspicious behavior, and now reasonable belief creates so gray area that someone who wants to such can pretty much make up any excuse to perform a search.

The US is changing fast.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join