It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are you a liberal?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

Here's the deal. In 1896 the upstart People's Party fused with the Democratic Party and the Democrats replaced the much more conservative Grover Cleveland as their nominee with the much more progressive William Jennings Bryan. Although he didn't win the elections, his ideas were highly influential within the party and when the Democrats had a congressional majority during the Wilson presidency (1913-1921), they passed legislation based on Bryan's platform.

It was during this time that the Republicans became increasingly more conservative. By the time FDR was elected (1932), the Democrats and the Republicans had pretty much entirely switched places with the Democrats becoming the progressive party and the Republicans the conservative one.

Though let's be honest, FDR wasn't really as purely progressive as people like to pretend. He did after all put Japanese citizens in internment camps and the New Deal policies were precipitated by necessity (the Great Depression). At any rate, I hope you understand why you and that yahoo answers...erm yahoo.. are both miserably off base.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb
Lets keep it civil here. I'm genuinely interested in why liberals choose that political affiliation.

I see liberal ideology as one that is against individual sovereignty and freedom. .

Funny.....I thought that was the conservative agenda. Because conservatives are very much against individual liberty when it does not conform to a strict, unrealistic, outdated religious system. Conservatives work constantly to deny different segments of our society rights and freedoms.

So, why do people support a political agenda that consistently violates our freedom?

Good question. Why do you?

Don't you know that all revolutions and uprisings are about the people wanting to be free? Eventually, if liberals have their way, America is going to become a country where the people are going to revolt because they've lost their freedom. Why not just put a stop to it now, and stop voting liberal?

I vote for whoever I feel is working to protect my best interest, as well as promote the rights and liberties of other people. Which, needless to say, means I rarely vote conservative. I actually vote for independents and third party candidates 95% of the time.

Freedom is the greatest thing a person can have, imo. That's why I can't understand why people support a political agenda that consistently takes that away. Why do you support it?

You support conservatism, which does the same. Why do you support it?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Im not a scholar of politics, and don't have more than a high school history class which I didn't pay attention in. I do know one thing though, and its all that is important to me right now. That is, voting for a democrat today is to willingly and knowingly vote away your freedom. So why do people vote democrat despite this?

Am I wrong that democrats today tend to be more oppressive? I don't think so. What say you?

edit on 22-5-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Im not a scholar of politics, and don't have more than a high school history class which I didn't pay attention in.

You confess to having no political knowledge based in history.

You confess to not having had paid attention to either history or politics until recently I suppose?

Yet you claim to know the mind set of liberals at large, as well as conservatives?

That's your problem.

The truth of the matter is that you are an un-educated, un-informed citizen.

It's actually more dangerous that you do vote at all.

Please, do yourself and your country a favor and learn a thing or two about politics and history before voting based on the opinions you hear on the radio or on Fox news.

Your mind set and thread is actually a perfect example of how politically confused a person can be, and the problems it creates in society.

~Tenth
edit on 5/22/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Lets keep it civil here. I'm genuinely interested in why liberals choose that political affiliation.

I see liberal ideology as one that is against individual sovereignty and freedom. .

Funny.....I thought that was the conservative agenda. Because conservatives are very much against individual liberty when it does not conform to a strict, unrealistic, outdated religious system. Conservatives work constantly to deny different segments of our society rights and freedoms.

Conservatives seek to uphold the constitution. That includes freedom of religion. Conservatives want America to remain as it was when it was founded.

So, why do people support a political agenda that consistently violates our freedom?

Good question. Why do you?

I don't.

Don't you know that all revolutions and uprisings are about the people wanting to be free? Eventually, if liberals have their way, America is going to become a country where the people are going to revolt because they've lost their freedom. Why not just put a stop to it now, and stop voting liberal?

I vote for whoever I feel is working to protect my best interest, as well as promote the rights and liberties of other people. Which, needless to say, means I rarely vote conservative. I actually vote for independents and third party candidates 95% of the time.

Okay. But that's a pipe dream. We've only had two independents and one of those was George Washington.

Freedom is the greatest thing a person can have, imo. That's why I can't understand why people support a political agenda that consistently takes that away. Why do you support it?

You support conservatism, which does the same. Why do you support it?

I support conservatism because conservatism is for limited government.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Yet you claim to know the mind set of liberals at large, as well as conservatives?

I know that conservatives are for limited government and liberals are not. That's all I need to know. That's all I care about. That's what is going to get me to go vote.

There's no denying that those words are true. No one has answered my question. Based on the above facts, why do you still vote democrat?
edit on 22-5-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I know that conservatives are for limited government and liberals are not. That's all I need to know. That's all I care about. That's what is going to get me to go vote.

Than please DON"T VOTE.

Because in all honesty, YOUR political opinion, DOES NOT MATTER.

Everybody has a right to vote, not everybody should. Because it's people who don't understand what's going on, like you, that ruin the country for everybody else.

Sorry to sound so elitist about it, but there should be a test for who votes.

You have neither the knowledge, nor understand of politics and government to make a an informed and proper decision at the voting booth.

Btw, your definition of conservative vs liberal is generalist and wrong, as I stated in my first reply.

~Tenth

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Your little propaganda graphic contains many lies, my friend. This is called 'revisionist history'. Do some homework.

Please. Elucidate your protest? Which of those things didn't conservatives fight against?

If you take liberal to mean Democrat and conservation to mean Republican then the civil rights statement in the picture is totally false and propagandic.

Wiki Civil rights entry

The biggest lie in the picture above is the assumption that either of the parties favor more individual freedom and smaller government.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I'm a liberal because IMHO conservative policies don't work when you logically play them out.

Abortion: we can't stop women from having abortions. We can only choose how they have them and weather we spend the 40k a year to imprison teenage girls who shove a coat hanger inside them selves because there afraid to tell there parents they let there hormones get the best of them.

Welfare: we already have people stealing from us for gold grills and crack rocks. Do you really want to see what happens when the poor have to a steal to eat? Plus it's cheaper then the 40k a year we would pay to incarcerate them. It's way cheaper to pay 20k a year in welfare.

Religion: for people deathly afraid of shiria law. They sure don't mind trying to put there own flavor of Christian law on us. Teaching Intelligent design in school. All the anti gay laws are tied to there Christian beliefs. It's supposed to be freedom of and from religion, but the constitution only counts when they want it too.

Deregulation: big buisness has proven countless times that we cannot trust the market to decide things. Expecting businesses to do the right thing when profit is there main goal is insane. The same companies run sweat shops in china because it's not as well regulated.

Science: conservatives are quite literally the only political group on the planet that denighes evolution and almost the only ones who denigh global warming... Look it up there is a consensus in the scientific community.

All conservative positions lead back to 2 points.

1. The bible says to.

2. I shouldn't have to pay for that.

Plus I listen to a lot of right wing radio and the craziness they spoon feed y'all is crazy. All the Obamas a Muslim, commie who wants to destroy America is just silly. That's why the Libs get all the intellectuals.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Conservatives were once called Torys.

Blue laws

Dry counties

War on Drugs

Almost every stock market crash, there was a republican president.

Zero tolerance policies.

Seat belt laws

Mandatory auto insurance.

I think they killed both Kennedy's.

There history of assassinations and coups.

Trickle down economics.

Racism, sexism, intolerance.

patriot act/dept of homeland security.

The moral majority, christian coalition, focus on the family.

Am radio

The third Reich

The forth reich

the party of no

30 years of tax breaks for the rich.

The supreme court.

30 years of decline of the middle class.

The decline in global ranking in education, math scores and science scores.

I hate liberals 2 but the list would not be so large.

edit on 22-5-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

So your strategy in beating the liberals is to vote republican and

1. Implement a socialized healthcare system.
2. Pick the winners and losers in the market.
3. take away individual rights and state rights?
4. Bailout private corporations?
5. Un-regulate industries?
6. increase the size of gov't?

edit on 04531America/ChicagoThu, 22 May 2014 23:04:55 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

If that were true, you wouldn't have loaded your post with a running "Are you still beating your wife" vibe.

But thanks for your interest, just the same.

You didn't answer his question... Why do you still beat your wife?

I'm far from being a liberal, but even I can understand that there is most likely not a single liberal that has adopted their liberal views with the desire to "violates our freedom"

That would be kind of like a liberal asking me why do I want to commit mass murder supporting the 2nd....

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Btw, your definition of conservative vs liberal is generalist and wrong, as I stated in my first reply.

~Tenth

Liberals are for big government. Conservatives are for limited government. What's wrong about that?

I may not know everything about politics, but I know that much. You can't refute that even if you tried. I will be voting. I'm not a complete idiot. Im paying attention. I know for a fact we don't need 8 more years of the same crap we've been going through these past 8. I know Obama's political party. That's the one NOT going to vote for. Im going to vote for whoever is least likely to not give us 8 more years of Obama-like policies. Guess who that's going to be. Not a democrat.

You don't have the right to tell me I can't vote. You're assuming, based on my comment that I am not knowledgeable enough to vote. You're wrong. I know who the freedom haters are. Its the democrats. Just look at Obama. What a failure. I want to vote as far away from him as possible. I know that. You're the one who doesn't know. You won't even admit that the democrats are freedom haters. All facts point to that they are. Im knowledgeable enough to know that. You shouldn't vote.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Conservatives seek to uphold the constitution. That includes freedom of religion. Conservatives want America to remain as it was when it was founded.

No they don't. They are only interested in a delusion of what they THINK America was founded about. Conservatives aren't trying to protect freedom of religion, they are trying to push one single religious ideology on everyone else, and create an unconstitutional system of governance that is theocratic.

I don't.

Yes you do. You are a conservative.

Okay. But that's a pipe dream. We've only had two independents and one of those was George Washington.

Why is it a pipe dream, voting who I feel is the best candidate? I'm not the one continuing to feed this ridiculous and oppressive two-party dynamic by choosing the "lesser of two evils". I chose not to vote for any evils at all.

I support conservatism because conservatism is for limited government.

I wouldn't call:

1. The War on Drugs
2. The War on Terror
3. Fighting to outlaw abortion,
4. Fighting to push religious mythology in schools as fact on par with science,
5. Promoting religion in government,
6. Fighting against marriage equality,
7. Passing morality based legislation
8. The Patriot Act

ideals consistent with limited government.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

1. Implement socialized healthcare.

What? That's what Obama did. A liberal.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: terriblyvexed

I believe that the Nazi party is alive and well right here in America.

Look at our government it's huge! More Americans then not depend on government. They always ramp up hate via, race, class, sex, you name it.

Then you have taxes on everything, keeping businesses going over seas, and shutting down the little guy, and an out of control spending addiction, on things that just don't make sense.

This sounds like Zionism, not Nazism...actually they both sorta sound the same to me.
Liberal and conservative sorta have the same ring too.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

famguardian.org...

Read if you dare.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

George bush grew the government more than any other in history:

“We have now presided over the largest increase in the size of government since the Great Society,” said Sen. John McCain, the Republican candidate vying to replace Mr. Bush in the White House, during the first presidential debate.

Big government....

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I see liberal ideology as one that is against individual sovereignty and freedom. This is how it gets represented by the legislators who claim to be liberal. I see liberalism as a progressive agenda who's means of attaining a "better America" involve the introduction of legislation upon legislation until there are so many laws that people can hardly breathe without breaking the law or without being taxed. Everything that a liberal claims to "accomplish" seems to be an act that violates the bill of rights in one aspect or another.

perhaps it would be easier to explain why im not part of the CURRENT form of conservatism.

what do they conserve? its not the environment, as they oppose regulations that keep the air and water clean.

they put religion over science. btw, why is your religions creation myth better than any other religions creation myth? i have more respect for global warming deniers than creationist, as deniers actually use scientific data to argue the point rather than god said so.

conservatives would rather help the rich than the poor by giving the rich incredible tax breaks and support, yet cutting off the poor. the rich arent going to rob me to get some extra money, but the poor guy that cant feed his family will.

conservatives favor the corporation over the worker. how do i know this? because they side with corporations over the people at every vote. corporations will rip the people off at every turn. how do i know this? because they did it before in a time called the gilded age. the corporation will take all your benefits, force you to work 80 hrs at poverty pay in unsafe conditions if they could. for modern examples look at how they run their business overseas.

conservatives dont take responsibility. for example, when obama lost the first debate with romney msnbc was the first to call him out. they said obama lost. when romney lost the second debate, it was every bodies fault but his.

another more telling example, hence its own paragraph, is rayguns debt. raygun increased the debt 186%, yet was a fiscal conservative, it was congresses fault. obama has decreased the deficit, and increased the debt by 70%, yet its all his fault. one way or the other conservatives, you cant have it both ways.

conservatives say they want more freedom. yet they invade your bedroom and restrict your choice by denying gay marriage and abortion.

conservatives think its fine that men are covered for viagra and penis pumps, but god forbid a woman want bc. guess what, bc reduces abortions, so if you gave women bc, then the abortion rate would go down.

i am not afraid. studies show that conservatives are more fearful than liberals. i trust the constitution and voting. if a republican wins the oval office next election, im not going to say they are trying to destroy america. im not going to say i need to take back my country. im going to suck it up and work with the admin, something the current conservatives refuse to do. before obama was even elected mcconnell said republicans were to oppose him at every turn, hence the most do nothing congress in history.

and that is why im not conservative.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

What? That's what Obama did. A liberal.

No that is what Republicans have done you are just choosing to overlook it.

[The GOP front runner the Mittster did it]

[Bush started the Bailouts, Christy blocking the free market and not allow car manufactures to sell directly to the consumer]

[Bush with the patriot act blew that door wide open, Rubio voting to not allow States to choose if they can disclose GMO products]

4. Bailout private corporations
[Bush started the bailouts]

[When was the last time that Republicans unregulated anything including the OIL companies]

[Bush started Home land security, patriot act, ]

If you haven't figured it out by now ,that regardless which party is in control the same things happen:
1. Bigger gov't
2. Less rights.
3. More taxes.
4. More Big corporate friendly regulations.

The problems aren't liberals or conservatives its lobbying. The individual republicans and democrats that blame each other is how they keep the farce going.

Wake up please, we need you on the consumer side to stop the B$ coming from Washington and the lobbyist controlled media.

edit on 20531America/ChicagoThu, 22 May 2014 23:20:32 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join