It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are you a liberal?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Most smart people are liberals because that is where the jobs are.

Same people were communist in the Soviet Union, or eternal Christians before the Renaissance.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Semicollegiate

Most smart people are liberals because that is where the jobs are.

Same people were communist in the Soviet Union, or eternal Christians before the Renaissance.

How precious!

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Don't really see him in the College Professor role, preaching Keynesian economics and all the while telling others how to live.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: macman
Self proclaimed smart people is the term you were looking for.
Seems that the "Smart People" have gotten us to the point were we are today. Way to go with that.

Uh-huh...

60000% inflation since the progressives got control about 1900, which means the common man gets screwed every budget.

A dollar is worth 1/600 th of what it was worth in 1900. The Twenty dollar bill was one ounce of gold.

World War I, World War II, the Great Depression, the Cold War, and the banker bailout were caused by progressivism.

The common man paid for World War I, World War II, the Great Depression, the Cold War, and the banker bailout. Mostly paid for with inflation and the death of common folks.

Did any liberals tell you how all of that was paid for?
edit on 27-5-2014 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-5-2014 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Self proclaimed smart people is the term you were looking for.
Seems that the "Smart People" have gotten us to the point were we are today. Way to go with that.

Uh-huh...

60000% inflation since the progressives got control about 1900, which means the common man gets screwed every budget.

A dollar is worth 1/600 th of what it was worth in 1900. The Twenty dollar bill was one ounce of gold.

World War I, World War II, the Great Depression, the Cold War, and the banker bailout were caused by progressivism.

The common man paid for World War I, World War II, the Great Depression, the Cold War, and the banker bailout. Mostly paid for with inflation and the death of common folks.

Did any liberals tell you how all of that was paid for?

I didn't know that Gavrilo Princip, Wilhem II and Adolf Hitler were progressives. Oh and who was the President during the bank bailout?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Frith

I also don't ever hear "Hey, you know how I built my wealth??? My welfare checks and Food Stamps".

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

I didn't know that Gavrilo Princip, Wilhem II and Adolf Hitler were progressives. Oh and who was the President during the bank bailout?

How could two men cause the world to go to war?

Only with centralized progressive type governments all around.

The conditions that made WWI possible and execution of World War I were all progressive.

Honest mistake?

WW2 was made at Versailles, by progressives.

Same ideology made the banker bailout possible.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The conditions that made WWI possible and execution of World War I were all progressive.

Honest mistake?

Ever since we stopped open immigration to America, the genocides have been breaking out all over the rest of the world, and have continued unabated on one continent or another up to the present day.

The National Origins Formula of 1921 started an era of immigration that ran till about 1965. Prior to WW1 we find the fingerprints of progressive politics in the fear that America was no longer a melting pot.

"New immigration" was a term from the late 1880s that came from the influx of immigrants from southern Europe and Russia (areas that previously sent few immigrants).[40] Some Americans feared the new arrivals. This raised the issue of whether the U.S. was still a "melting pot", or if it had just become a "dumping ground", and many old-stock Americans worried about negative effects on the economy, politics and culture.

wiki: History of immigration to the USA
John Higham, Strangers in the Land: Patterns of American Nativism, 1860-1925 (1955) pp 87-97

Genocides.
World wide.
Since we stopped Quota (also called open) immigration, started favoring refugees, and crunchy little immigration rules.
America was told of problems, who to fear, and the shinny new solution.

In the long view all I see is a pattern of fear, door slamming, and door locking. This is my house, this country, the USA. I don't remember telling anyone to lock the door. A person who used to migrate to America had a sense that their skills and contributions would be valued and needed. But the people in charge of managing our public image have us giving gloved reach arounds to each other just to travel from city to city. Within the USA.

The problem with the Progressive mindset is that it is fundamentally xenophobic. And it shows in everything they hold, and the trail of bodies behind their policies.

Was it really so bad when we welcomed immigrants? But now that you have flooded us with peoples who feel uninvited, maybe even unwanted, you want us to give up our guns.

We want to teach the world to shoot.
The moon is up there, but you have
to be a damn good shot to make
the landing. Damn good.

And that is what we
want from our
immigrants.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 27-5-2014 by mikegrouchy because: format

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I also don't ever hear "Hey, you know how I built my wealth??? My welfare checks and Food Stamps".

Where did this non-sequitur come from?

The facts are that private charity cannot replace government programs for the destitute. Remember the Great Depression? Had the New Deal not been enacted there may have never been a recovery from it or one that took decades longer.

This goes for health care. I'm not a fan of the private insurance mandate of the ACA. It should have been Medicare for all, but its better than the nothing that conservatives opted for.
edit on 27-5-2014 by Frith because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Honest mistake?

Erm, you don't know very much history do you?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

If you don't want to own a gun, that's your business. Just don't try to tell me that I shouldn't own one. Don't try to give me your reasons why you think I shouldn't own one. I know that I need one. I've needed one before and didn't have it. Its a personal choice. That's what I love about America. We have the freedom to choose. Freedom is good, because when a law is made, not all scenarios are taken into consideration of what the law will affect. A law or any restriction can have a negative effect on those scenarios not taken into consideration. I call it, "blind legislation". You should take into consideration the fact that just because you don't need a gun, doesn't mean no one else does.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Lots of might haves should of's.

I get it, you love you some Govt programs and if it were not for the Govt, we would all be lost. The Great Depression wouldn't of happened let alone go on for so long. People would be dying in the streets because who would direct them or give them free stuff.

And the statement is very much applicable to your statement.
Welfare and food stops has yet to make a person wealthy that receives it.

And you are honestly crediting the New Deal for anything then a giant Govt handout???

Yeah, sure sure.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Honest mistake?

Whatever history you take to heart must be a hagiography to the divine government.

You know more hagiography than I do.

You have heard that the winners write history. The progressives won before World War 1, the blow that hurled the modern world its course of self destruction. There would have been no World War 1 if the progressives had lost.

What is the history that you know?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
I'm hoping for correction from everybody, but my current opinion is that one side believes that decision making and control is best left in the hands of the few who have studied the issues through college and political experience. Through their abilities, they are more likely to make the correct decisions. This would include the pro-science v. anti-science discussion earlier. A form of meritocracy would emerge, making the "best and brightest" the controllers and deciders.

There are drawbacks to this position, including that it does not follow that the "best and brightest" make better decisions. Indeed, experience shows us that they tend to foul things up.

The other pole contains those who believe that decisions are best left in the hands of the people. The closer to the individual that the decision can be made, the better. This, of course, was the principle the country was started on. There are several reasons why I find this more appealing, but this position, too, has it's drawbacks. With everyone (or every town, county, or state) making their own decisions there are chances that they will reach the wrong decision for various reasons.

[...]

But rather than debate the merits in this post, I'd like to know if I've found the great dividing factor. If not, what do you think it is?

Charles, here, brought up some interesting ideas that could make this into a real discussion instead of yet another polarized set of tit-for-tat rants. I see, however, that his reply was made on page 2 and we are up to page 17 or 18 now, with only a few replies directed his way. His comment is probably waaaaay too healthy to belong in the mud pit! Too bad. I hope a Mod applauds him.

To respond to his thoughts....

Whether or not I feel like the decision making intelligence lies in the educated few with college experience or the salt-of-the-earth hands of the people depends on the issue at hand. I've made many observations about both over the past 46 years. I'm not sure if this is the "great dividing factor" or not since I think proponents in both sides of the equation line up in both of the political parties (at least in the US). I think you may have hit on part of it, but I think a large part has to do with pure dogma, because honestly, I have grown and changed my opinions over the years. My viewpoints are influenced by the many shades of grey that I have encountered. Pretty much every time I formed an opinion, some new situation involving myself or someone I know, has come up to give me a perspective into the other side of the equation.

I have seen people encompass many dichotomies within themselves, where one is "positive" and the other "negative". I think we can't form these black-and-white political opinions where we lump people affiliated with one political party together, because we all have too many differing character traits, many of which seem to be polar opposites. Here are some examples:

Religious/Addicted .... Religious/Spiritual
Non-Religious/Charitable ..... Non-Religious/Flighty
Rigid/Reliable ..... Rigid/Structured/Judgemental
Safe/Smothering ..... Safe/Comforting
Flexible/Open to trying new things .... Flexible/Wishy-Washy
Educated/Insightful .... Educated/Critical/Judgemental
Salt-of-the-Earth/Honest and Hard Working .... Salt-of-the-Earth/Non-Intellectual/"Un-Imaginative"
Executives/Self Promoting .... Executives/Forward Moving
Analytical/Non Risk-Taking .... Analytical/Careful/Selective

Etc...

Thanks,
Gwynn
edit on 27-0520145-1414 by gwynnhwyfar because: Removed part of the lengthy quote.

edit on 27-0520145-1414 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb

If you don't want to own a gun, that's your business. Just don't try to tell me that I shouldn't own one. Don't try to give me your reasons why you think I shouldn't own one.
Did I?
I've been to more of the U.S. than most Americans. I understand the similarities between our countries, and the differences as well. I am allowed to comment that to an outsider...well, it's noteworthy.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Honest mistake?

Whatever history you take to heart must be a hagiography to the divine government.

You know more hagiography than I do.

You have heard that the winners write history. The progressives won before World War 1, the blow that hurled the modern world its course of self destruction. There would have been no World War 1 if the progressives had lost.

What is the history that you know?

In a nutshell? Facts, for a start.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Hypocrasy, this is the root of it all...............Republicans live and breathe it, preaching small govt, with their hand out for a govt check. And the Democrats bathe in it, " I want my rights, and yet trample upon another. I say cast them both into the Pitts of hell, and be done with them...............Be done with it............
I guess I was off topic, I consider my self a Libertarian, because I don't believe i should kibosch the rights of another, and they shall not kibosch mine.......Simply Put

edit on 28-5-2014 by TheCowboyWay because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

In a nutshell? Facts, for a start.

In financing the war (World War One) and abandoning gold, many of the belligerents suffered drastic inflations. Price levels doubled in the US and Britain, tripled in France and quadrupled in Italy.

Gold Standard Wikipedia

Financing the war through 1918 required going off of the gold standard. Fact

Central banking, like the Federal Reserve, allowed governments to print money that had no real material wealth to back it. Fact

Inflation from printing money that had no material wealth to back it caused the price of everything to double. Fact

The government taxed everyone at a rate equal to 100% of all purchases made after World War One. Like a sales tax of 100% Fact

I have never heard of a 100% sales tax from any main stream media or public university. Fact

The political system that facilitated World War One was a liberal progressive collectivist system. Fact

Semicollegiate

edit on 29-5-2014 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join