It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are you a liberal?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Frith
I am a liberal because I am:

anti war

anti police state

anti theocratic law dominating our lives - this includes being pro choice and pro minority rights for groups like LGBTs.

pro a basic guaranteed quality of life and health care that is not provided under current capitalist systems

pro gun control because my fellow Americans have proven they are not responsible with them

Liberals in office today do not display much of the above, but when I look at conservatives in office and their pundits in the media I can safely say I am not one of them nor will I ever be.

You are a Progressive, not a Liberal.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
You are a Progressive, not a Liberal.

Progressive was a term used when liberals were afraid to call themselves liberal after it was demonized over the past few decades.

I'm not one to shy away from what I am. A liberal.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: smithjustinb

Ah. Intimidation. Now all you need is a gun.

Nah. This guy is immune to intimidation. Doesn't even need a gun. Noone can touch him. "Don't own protection. Never will". Defenseless and proud. I guess if someone tries to rob him, he's going to say, "here take it all". But being robbed at gunpoint isn't the worst thing that can happen at gunpoint. But whatever can happen, there will be nothing the anti gun people can do about it. Just sit back and take it. Beg for your life. That will be your only defense. Please don't hurt me. Please don't hurt me.

Have fun with that.

edit on 25-5-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
OP's point was made moot on page four, yet you guys are still pissing on each other as though you'll win a prize for "least damp individual." Division for the ego's sake. Both sides need to grow a pair and work towards understanding, not proving the other wrong.

This thread is an example of why humanity is doomed.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I lived in the projects in St. Louis, a white girl when my dad deserted us. I used my wits to survive. I am sure a weapon is useful for killing sprees and hunting. I never had to beg my for life and when two guys tried to rape me, a gun would have been of no use the way it happened. Biting, kicking, screaming, vomiting saved me.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JaspersCheese
OP's point was made moot on page four, yet you guys are still pissing on each other as though you'll win a prize for "least damp individual." Division for the ego's sake. Both sides need to grow a pair and work towards understanding, not proving the other wrong.

This thread is an example of why humanity is doomed.

Conservatives live in their own little bubble that the rest of us have termed "epistemic closure." Which means they are beyond being reasoned with as they believe only information within their own circles.

Liberals are not the problem. Conservatives demand things go their way or its the highway.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Frith

It should be a really big hint that intellectuals are almost all progressives. If you wanna fool a liberal you tug at the heart strings. You wanna fool a conservative you make up your own facts.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I lived in the projects in St. Louis, a white girl when my dad deserted us. I used my wits to survive. I am sure a weapon is useful for killing sprees and hunting. I never had to beg my for life and when two guys tried to rape me, a gun would have been of no use the way it happened. Biting, kicking, screaming, vomiting saved me.

You're a lucky person. The murder rate in Missouri in 2012 was 6.5 per 100,000. Missouri had a population of over 6,000,000 people. That's over 390 murders in Missouri in 2012. 113 of those murders occurred in St. Louis alone. That's one murder about every 3 days. That's about average year to year. I hope you're not unlucky enough to be caught without a gun if somebody ever decided that the next 3rd day it would be your turn. Or your children. I hope that never happens to you. But if it did, there wouldn't be anything you could do about it. You think it couldn't happen, but so did some of those other 113 people in St. Louis in 2012.

Did they have a weapon when they attacked you?

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
double post

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE

It should be a really big hint that intellectuals are almost all progressives. If you wanna fool a liberal you tug at the heart strings. You wanna fool a conservative you make up your own facts.

Try me.

I wasn't fooled on this liberal thread:

150 Achievements Of Liberalism

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I wasn't liberal until sometime around my 40th birthday. I then realized, got some empathy for, the horrors that our military were unleashing on the peoples of Iraq. Iraqis who were no threat to our freedoms. In fact, no nation we've gone to war against in the last 50 odd years has been an threat to our freedoms. A threat to the world bank and Exxon? Yes. Our freedom? No. (This is one reason I've been so disappointed in Obama and will never vote D or R ever again. Both are liars.)

I became liberal when I realized that some wealthy tv station owner was spending his money trying to convince the middle class to blame the poor..

I became liberal when I realized that we can spend $TRILLIONS on war, but balk at 1/100th that on the starving and uneducated at home. As our roads crumble...

I became liberal when I realized that people matter...money comes and goes.

And as a side note: If you currently make less than $200K/yr. yet you still vote (R), you're voting AGAINST your own best interest. FACT!

I hope y'all are having a great weekend!

edit on 25-5-2014 by Sparkler8 because: Punctuation.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

It doesn't seem to me that the other side is in any way different. Both sides imagine the extremes of the other and fear what they may mean instead of calming down and attempting to understand they exaggerate and draw inwards. Politics isn't about choosing sides, it's about ever-furthering knowledge by melding the perspective of one into many and many into one. Party politics stifles humanities progress with artificial voices exaggerating poorly conceived ideals.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

It should be a really big hint that intellectuals are almost all progressives.

Almost all intellectuals are paid by progressives, with other peoples money. Intellectuals are given a progressive life style without any other equivalent option. Basically progressives get the first chance to recruit new talent and the progressives have access to everyone's money.

Also F. A. Hayek observed that the progressive point of view is more ergonomic than the truth.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Semicollegiate
a reply to: ArtemisE

It should be a really big hint that intellectuals are almost all progressives.

Almost all intellectuals are paid by progressives, with other peoples money. Intellectuals are given a progressive life style without any other equivalent option. Basically progressives get the first chance to recruit new talent and the progressives have access to everyone's money.

Also F. A. Hayek observed that the progressive point of view is more ergonomic than the truth.

This comment worries me. It's astonishingly badly informed.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Can I ask why you seem to be so obsessed with guns? It's genuinely baffling for me.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I was 15 years old and lived in the projects. Underage and no money to buy a gun and no daddy to protect me. After that incident, I was never afraid again. The attackers were 17 and I thought they were my friends, which is how most rapes happen. You do not call the police in the projects. But after that, no one bothered me again. The human will to live is greater than you think.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JaspersCheese

Here are two conservative positions argued about on a daily basis.

1. Gay people should not be allowed to be married or have benefits that result from it.

2. Global Warming isn't happening or even being caused by human pollution.

Let's take the gay marriage position. This is a political position based upon religious beliefs out of a book. Its not even based in objective realty. You can't argue with or change the minds of people who believe a reality they read in a book rather than one they see around them. There is no middle ground here.

As for global warming most scientists are in agreement that its real and caused by pollution and we can even see with our own eyes the effects going on now. Plants bloom earlier in the year than they did a few decades ago. Colder parts of the world are seeing rapid ice melts and buildings collapse from permafrost melting underneath them. We're experiencing another large drought in the west in the USA where wild fires and lack of water for crops are threatening our way of life. Yet conservatives maintain nothing should be done and that its a possible conspiracy by communists to strangle capitalism. Do we find some middle ground with conservatives who want to keep this going as the world burns?

Conservatives not only base their ideology in hateful fantasy, but objectively dangerous beliefs on how the world works and they aren't going to change. Ever.
edit on 26-5-2014 by Frith because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Frith
a reply to: JaspersCheese

Here are two conservative positions argued about on a daily basis.

1. Gay people should not be allowed to be married or have benefits that result from it.

2. Global Warming isn't happening or even being caused by human pollution.

Let's take the gay marriage position. This is a political position based upon religious beliefs out of a book. Its not even based in objective realty. You can't argue with or change the minds of people who believe a reality they read in a book rather than one they see around them. There is no middle ground here.

As for global warming most scientists are in agreement that its real and caused by pollution and we can even see with our own eyes the effects going on now. Plants bloom earlier in the year than they did a few decades ago. Colder parts of the world are seeing rapid ice melts and buildings collapse from permafrost melting underneath them. We're experiencing another large drought in the west in the USA where wild fires and lack of water for crops are threatening our way of life. Yet conservatives maintain nothing should be done and that its a possible conspiracy by communists to strangle capitalism. Do we find some middle ground with conservatives who want to keep this going as the world burns?

Conservatives not only base their ideology in hateful fantasy, but objectively dangerous beliefs on how the world works and they aren't going to change. Ever.

You've almost reached the point there, but are in just as much danger of your labels as the conservatives are.

On your first point, fear and ignorance is the motivator, just because the argument is made from a religious stand point doesn't mean it's religiously motivated or justified. To blanket an entire group with such a statement is equally biased. The individuals environment is determining their beliefs and while that environment includes religion, it's not the knowledge of doctrine that determines it. Bigoted as it may be, the viewpoint has a place in our reality or it wouldn't exist. Accept that, try to understand what they are saying and why they are saying it and you'll be in a much better position to change their perspective with your own, unless yours is based on half thoughts and "believed truths" as theirs is. You stifle discourse with blanket labels.

Education and experience is the middle ground when it comes to accepting homosexuality. You're not going to argue the perspective into changing. All you do is fortify their walls when you throw your arguments at them, instead of forcing the issue of experience and knowledge. The small spheres of reality we've built up around ourselves need to be expanded. We've a great tool in the internet for such expansion, but it too is being turned into a control mechanism right before our eyes.

Human sexuality will never be an objective reality. To demand such reason from one side when the other side is equally incapable of it is unfair and only adds to the fight, not the resolution.

As for climate change, this is a subject I don't argue because scientists and pseudo-scientists are as closed minded as the most ardent conservative. I'll say this though, the earth goes through cycles of warm and cold. While man has shown his ability to influence them, I think it's hubris to claim it's all mans fault. As I understand it, all the planets in our solar system have had temperature increases over the same time period earth has. The cult of climate change is mostly a tool of control to give us the illusion that we have control over our reality and to keep us confined to it by guilt and impotence. They're end goal may be admirable, as in freeing humanity from dirty tech/energy, but it's done with ignorance and manipulation which reeks of nefarious motivations. Do you label me a conservative because of that viewpoint?

Again, you're describing their side as fear and ignorance and label them as impossible to communicate with as a result. They see you the exact same way, and they're right. Both sides are unwilling to accept the validity of the others. Both sides are responsible for the political stagnation we all swim in. "They're" setting us all up to hate each other instead of understanding each other. There isn't a single individual anywhere within the spectrum that has the authority to deny either side, and as a result we're forced to deal with emotionally bias arguments from scared children across the board.

But you keep on hating, and they'll keep on hating, and those with the influence will keep on stealing and subjugating. Sounds like a good game plan to me.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
There are times and situations where it is appropriate to be liberal.
conversely , there are times and situations where it is appropriate to be conservative.
I reserve the right to be either or both, at any time, around any situation.
As it pleases me.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JaspersCheese
As for climate change, this is a subject I don't argue because scientists and pseudo-scientists are as closed minded as the most ardent conservative. I'll say this though, the earth goes through cycles of warm and cold. While man has shown his ability to influence them, I think it's hubris to claim it's all mans fault. As I understand it, all the planets in our solar system have had temperature increases over the same time period earth has. The cult of climate change is mostly a tool of control to give us the illusion that we have control over our reality and to keep us confined to it by guilt and impotence. They're end goal may be admirable, as in freeing humanity from dirty tech/energy, but it's done with ignorance and manipulation which reeks of nefarious motivations. Do you label me a conservative because of that viewpoint?

Whether you think you are or not, you are a conservative if you believe what you just typed there. Social, fiscal, or both, you are one.

Keep denying it because of your opinion of "limousine liberals" or some NWO UN Agenda 21 conspiracy or whatever, but we can see the results of pollution right now and its only going to get worse.

But you keep on hating, and they'll keep on hating, and those with the influence will keep on stealing and subjugating. Sounds like a good game plan to me.

Demographic changes have me of the opinion that conservative ideology amongst the population is dying out. At least in the USA. Which explains the massive conservative uproars we see across our media. They fear losing influence and power or possibly facing the wrath of their bigotry and ignorance in a minority position.

So eventually conservatives won't have a say in what goes on. We're almost to the point that we can ignore them and do what needs to be done. Unless they get more violent.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join