It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

UK Council Voting Results For 2014!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:42 AM
I didn't vote.

1) There's nobody to vote for
2) I didn't have time
3) I didn't care

This country's too far gone for it to fix itself. I'm far from being a racist and have friends of different colours and religions and it's not about any of that - so please don't take this as a racist point but:

And I can't think of ONE party who have even the slightest chance to make a difference that will. I want this country to have it's own identity again, but I highly doubt it ever will.

Do you think France, for example, would let their country lose it's identity to such a LARGE extent? No, because it cares for it's culture and it's own people before it cares for anyone else.

The UK is a joke, and if you disagree - that's up to you. But I'm not going to back up my country anymore. I don't care if people think I should be more patriotic - It's increasingly difficult.

Sorry, kinda.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 10:23 AM
a reply to: MrConspiracy

I agree with you, Britain is no longer British, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and even part's of the US are more British than we are now, I had a sad dream, I saw a giant aircraft carrier and you know that was the joke made about our island, there was an empty hanger and not planes but in the hanger a group of old people singing old British war time song's as the ship broke in two and both end's sank into the wave's.
We know it is too late but we are so angry and so very very sad that some of us just want to cry, what did our ancestory labour for so long and hard for just so some corporate theif and city of london fraudster could just Give what was our's, the very legacy meant for the generations to come Away like they had the right to do so, whom ever gave them that right.

I suppose the exodus of they who can afford to move to these other country's is like the last post and an endless march into the sea of our nation as it goes to inevitable oblivion.
edit on 24-5-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 10:35 AM
Personally, its not that britain isn't britain that bothers me so much. Every changes, it is the natural order of life. What bothers me is that the UK, is an island, not a super huge one at that. We have a limited amount space. The publics services are already at breaking point. Some people in london boroughs have been on the waiting list for a council house for almost 9 years. We litterally have no room left.

Sad to say they will end up building new houses on green belt land and we will gradually lose our country side, That can not allowed. When that starts to happen, we will definately no longer be britain. Just a large island sized housing estate.

I think they a points system like australia, not on that, they should be a lot harder immigrants that commit crime. The border agency are in shambles and we might as well just have a revolving door and let every european waiffs and strays in.

The only this worse then the our border agency is our horrendous legal system.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 10:45 AM
a reply to: Megatronus

And it's for most of the reasons that have been made in this thread that we in Scotland will vote for independence this year, UK politics is broken and they care not for the people but for big business.
Good luck to UKIP but they are just the anti-eu conservatives & Labour are no different than the Conservatives. So we in Scotland have no one left in British politics to represent us and that's why we will vote for independence this year.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 11:10 AM
a reply to: mclarenmp4

It is not just the Scot's whom have no one to represent them in politic's it is the British in general, I am part scot as well but like many I am simply British.
I hope that the dream I had was just that a Dream if a sad one but I feel it portent's ill for the future as a house increasingly divided since Tony the hypocrit blair and his cronies usheres in devolution, Scotland has alway's remained a seperate nation though with it's own parliament and scotish pound, if you think breaking the union to tie closer to europe is a saviour for that great nation which if it had not been for the clearances would be a far more populous country with many more large city's then you are wrong as it is the tie to europe which has killed out already ailing united nation, when every one want's a piece of the pie what will be left for the children.
If it was up to me and bear in mind some of the greatest prime ministers of the british isles have been scotsmen (Let's leave brown out of that) I would recentralize government both in the English and Welsh area's and in scotland so that the three captial's could then have a proportional representation in the national parliament.
We need to do something which is simply not going to happen, we need to stand together and reclaim our standing as a nation in this world from the corrupt and greedy power hundry brussel's and it's illegitimate parliament.
No ukip does not have the answer but they do have part of it and are a hell of a lot better than the BNP or regional nationist party's whom will show there true colours one day and probably when it is too late.
The Tory's are big buiseness stooge's and corrupt enethical and EVIL as a party with no empathy and simply money and selfishness as there god, indeed they would sell there own grandmothers for a profit but Labour is not Labour anymore either, did you know New Labour was a hijacking of the labour party simply to steat the votes for a group of slightly more moderate Tory's and indeed Not only was Tony blair's father a lifelong Tory party member but he was a Junior tory party member and activist before switching to the Labour party as he could not see a personal future inside the Tory party.
Gordon brown was what we call a fat cat.
Open your arms to europe and your nation will know the error when it is too late by far and in truth why we do not want to lose scotland is it is really the only part of Britain left.
I tell you believe me or not but if this old ship breaks her back both end's will sink and never be great EVER AGAIN so the burden of these decision are left on the head's of whatever children will be left of our nation in the future.
The best blood of scotlant DIED on culloden not to break the nation as that is not what they fought for, they were fighting to unify it to it's rightful king, he was a bounder but still better than the usurper on the English throne and he did have a legitimate right but as he was Catholic it was a religous war so remember that the Jacobite's were fighting for a united nation under Stuart or they would have decaired independance, indeed they had the nation in there hand at one point but turned around and it was Charles whom led them to there defeat by making a stand at Culloden even agains the advice of his generals, anwhere else the highland charge would have overwhealmed the english and campbelle's cannon but not there where they were boggup up to there knee's and waists and could not move at even a walk toward the cannon but for one man's pride the greatest army in the history of the UK was lost in a stupid doomed charge but at least they died Proud and righteous to the last, So do you think they would retreat from the Union as they were fighting for a Unified britain under Stuart even though they were True Scot's.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 11:33 AM
a reply to: LABTECH767

Nice post and agree with most of your sentiments and don't think I'm an SNP supporter I am not but I see the only option but to vote yes because unfortunately we were promised in the 70's when we voted no that we would have much better standing and then we got Thatcher who decided to test run the poll tax in Scotland instead.

The mud slinging and negativity shown by the better together campaign has only reinforced the belief that we are better without the old power structures and I believe with the right changes that we can be a better country because of it.
I am a proud Brit and I could tell you the story of my grandfather in WW2 that would bring a tear to your eye because of the remarkableness of the story but our country has become corrupted and if the only way we can regain our power back then I will vote yes.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:21 PM
Agreed with the above comments. Our grandparents and great grandparents fought so hard to keep this country. And for what? What did it amount to? Muslims burning the poppy? We have NO identity anymore - and any we do have gets made a mockery of or destroyed over time. Those in "power" couldn't care less because they have their head in the clouds and pockets full of money - Why should they care? It's working for them...

Which political party is going to make Britain, British again? None of them - it's a complete farce. One I don't want any involvement in. I hate to say it, and I wish it was different - But like Angela Merkel said, multiculturalism hasn't worked.

It's a sad situation - And in today's day and age we should be able to live in harmony regardless of who we are or what our beliefs are but at the same time not have our culture REMOVED. But this isn't a perfect world and all I can personally go off is what is see on a daily basis living where I live - If I came here without prior knowledge I don't think I'd guess I was even in the UK. That saddens me.

This country is "done for" - There's too much deep rooted discontent for the way this country has become on every level. It's revolt or bust - But that'll never happen.
edit on 24-5-2014 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:03 PM
a reply to: MrConspiracy

I don't get emotional on the Scotland subject because I like to look at things rationally but your comment about what our grandparents went through in the name of this great nation brings a tear to my eye because we should be part of the union. If Scotland got the respect we deserve then we wouldn't be in a situation where it's likely that the union will be broken but the political caste in our country is so far removed from our beliefs we have no choice.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:41 PM
Sad thing is, I think 'Labour' will get back into Government next year because UKIP have taken mostly Conservative's seats!

So, it will be back to 'Labour' and more of the same... pretty soon like another poster said 'they will be building on the greenland which wasn't meant to be built on' and then we will have nothing here except buildings upon buildings upon buildings and there will be massive mish mash of languages (as there are already)... and 'English Language' will near enough be drowned out totally. There are times when i'm outside that I feel that I'm not in 'England'... I've said before that I need to remind myself that I am in 'England', its changed dramatically and will continue to do so once 'Labour' get back in.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:05 PM
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Again another reason for independence. Alex Salmond introduced the Scottish land reform group who are looking at ways of legally reclaiming land owned by a few by heritage of their families.
I can guarantee it's a similar situation in England where large wealthy families own large parts of land but the Tories wouldn't dare think of that, no lets take public land.

Reform Group

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:37 PM
And the English economy is strong because of what industries? Banking and BAE, so the only money keeping the English economy afloat is drones, aircraft and the game of banksters.
Whereas in Scotland we aren't reliant on 1 or 2 industries to maintain our economy but our GDP is diverse coming from the energy sector, Whisky, banking and the engineering and IT service industries. We can afford to lose our banking industry and support a stronger manufacturing base.
So the UK's future is going to be at the whims of the defense and banking industries.

Here's Wikipedia's overview of our respective industries.

After the Industrial Revolution, the Scottish economy concentrated on heavy industry, dominated by the shipbuilding, coal mining and steel industries. Scottish participation in the British Empire also allowed the Scottish economy to export its output throughout the world. However heavy industry declined in the latter part of the 20th century leading to a remarkable shift in the economy of Scotland towards a technology and service sector based economy. The 1980s saw an economic boom in the Silicon Glen corridor between Glasgow and Edinburgh, with many large technology firms relocating to Scotland. Today the industry employs over 41,000 people. Scottish-based companies have strengths in information systems, defence, electronics, instrumentation and semi-conductors. There is also a dynamic and fast growing electronics design and development industry, based around links between the universities and indigenous companies like Wolfson,[6] 4i2i,[7] Linn, Nallatech.[8] and Axeon[9] There is also a significant presence of global players like National Semiconductor and Motorola. Other major industries include banking and financial services, construction,[10] education, entertainment, biotechnology, transport equipment, oil and gas, whisky, and tourism. The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Scotland in 2013 was $248.5 billion including revenue generated from North Sea oil and gas.

Edinburgh is the financial services centre of Scotland, with many large financial firms based there. Glasgow is the fourth largest manufacturing centre in the UK, accounting for well over 60% of Scotland's manufactured exports. Shipbuilding, although significantly diminished from its heights in the early 20th century, is still a large part of the Glasgow economy. Aberdeen is the centre of North Sea offshore oil and gas production, with giants such as Shell and BP housing their European exploration and production HQs in the city. Other important industries include textile production, chemicals, distilling, agriculture, brewing and fishing.

Economy of Scotland

An overview of the English economy.

In medieval times (c. 11th–15th century), the wool trade was the major industry of England and the country exported wool to Europe. Many market towns and ports grew up on the industry. Starting in 1555 with John Lok, England entered into the slave trade. John Hawkins is often considered to be the pioneer of the British slave trade, because he was the first to run the Triangular trade, making a profit at every stop. Poor infrastructure hampered the development of large scale industry. This changed when the canals and railways began to be built, in the late 18th century and early 19th century. England became the world's first industrialised nation, with the industrial revolution taking place in the late 18th century. This was also the age of British overseas expansion, where England relied upon colonies (such as India, America, Canada, or Australia) to bring in resources such as cotton and tobacco. English factories then processed goods and sold them on in both the quickly growing domestic market or abroad. Cities grew and large industrial centres were established, especially in the Midlands and North England.

Agriculture and fishing[edit]
Main article: Agriculture in the United Kingdom
Agriculture is intensive, highly mechanised, and efficient by European standards, producing about 60% of food needs with only 2% of the labour force. It contributes around 2% of GDP. Around two thirds of production is devoted to livestock, and one third to arable crops. Agriculture is subsidised by the European Union's Common Agricultural Policy.

The main crops that are grown are wheat, barley, oats, potatoes, sugar beets. England is one of the world's leading fishing nations. Its fleets bring home fish of every kind, ranging from sole to herring. Kingston upon Hull, Grimsby, Fleetwood, Great Yarmouth, and Lowestoft are among the coastal towns that have large fishing industries.

Main article: English finance
England's capital is London. The City of London is England's major financial district, and one of the world's leading financial centres. The city is where the London Stock Exchange, as well as many other exchanges, are based.

Service industries, particularly banking, insurance, and business services, account by far for the largest proportion of GDP and employ around 80% of the working population.

Leeds is England's second largest financial centresape sape ,[2] with over 30 national and international banks based in the city.[3] Over 124,000 people are employed in banking and financial services in Leeds, and over in the wider Leeds City Region.[4][5][6]

Manchester is the largest financial and professional services sector outside of London and is the mid tier private equity capital of Europe.[7]

Manufacturing continues to decline in importance. In the 1960s and 70s manufacturing was a significant part of England's economic output. However, a lot of the heavy manufacturing industry was government-run and had failed to respond to world markets. State industries were sold off and over the 20th century many closed as they were unable to compete; a situation largely reflected in other Western industrialised countries. However, manufacturing still accounts for some 26% of the UK's GDP.[when?] England remains a key player in the aerospace, defence, pharmaceutical and chemical industries, and British companies worldwide continue to have a role in the sector through foreign investment.

Main article: Tourism in England
Tourism accounts for £96 billion of GDP (8.6% of the economy) as of 2009. It employs over 2 million people – around 4% of the working population.[8] The largest centre for tourism is London, which attracts millions of international tourists every year.

Economy of England

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 03:18 PM
a reply to: LABTECH767

This is another misconception that people have regarding our status in the EU, Scotland is anti-eu in the most part because we don't agree with the immigration and fishing rights which has decimated the once thriving industry.
I think we will stay in the EU but we will never join the euro project and we will retain our sovereignty. My preference is to establish a trading block with scandinavia as they have similar ideals to our own and establish relationships with other key countries but I do agree with a european common trading market just not the additional bureaucracy that goes with it.

My preference is also to step into the future now and establish a crypto-currency as that is going to be the future and it removes the need for a central banking system. We are in the future now so we should be using the technology to move forward as a society.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 07:13 PM
a reply to: mclarenmp4

Crypto Currency's are an ideal which may or may not work as it leaves any economy open to them totally unregulated and so at the mercy/lessness of the market's.
You know many part's of scotland are almost identical to part's of scandinavia and you would be hard pressed unless you knew where you were to tell the difference that is in the wild's, there are more wolves and wild as well in scandinavia still beautiful, I agree whole heartedly about the fishing but the EU is a bully and unless scotland breaks that tie it will be at there mercy in more way's than you realise, ask any irish taxi driver in dublin what he think's of the EU (Off the record) and most Irish of working age, there sentiment is that they have lost here culture and the European's have taken all there job's from the many I met when over there seeing my brother whom is naturalised irish (half brother).
I think a one on one nation by nation agreement would be better like for example, if we wanted an agreement with germany or sweden then a direct agreement and where free travel and residency is concerned with them an agreement that any of there citizen's and vice versa whom want to come her to live must be naturalized in there country and have been so for at least ten years and have no serious criminal record.
But you know that the CITY OF LONDON is actually a seperate country in the UK with it's own law's and right's, a freeman of the city of london for example can not be bound by a fine so never has to pay one even if a court imposes such as the court does not have the authority and we have let them scum bag's take over the rest of the nation, that is what is wrong they own the political party's and do not give a damn about our standard of life or our job's or well being so long as they are richer each day, indeed while the austerity measure's which are totally unnecessary were rolled out by the ConDem's they got richer faster than ever before by defrauding our nation and rewriting our law's to suit themselves and worse they have half the nation brainwashed into thinking they are doing the right thing.
At least in Scotland the people still have some sense but god I hope you are right.

And point of view aside what you said especially about thatcher is absolutely correct, god only know's her husband dennis was a multi billionare with his money hidden outside the tax system so that he would never be taxed except as a HUMBLE millionare, her son was involved in trying to overthrow a democratically elected african government because when the military government they had taken over from lost power there asset's were lost as well, she invented the sell by volume on ice cream after using a technique herself to fold air into it and allowed the naming of non dairy substitutes based on heart disease causing hydrogenised fat's to be called Ice Cream which was a deliberate mislabeling, Dennis money was invested in the artifical additive market (the E numbers most of which are now known to be harmful).
So she was a ruthless gangster moll (mind you dennis was ugly as well) whom abused human right's during the miners strike and used MI5 to infiltrate labour and the trade unions (Now you know how labour was hijacked) and used every excuse she could to blacken our own people and bring in crowd control's which would enable a police state, her very good personal friend was general pinochet (Ask 99 percent of chileans what it was like under him) a south american dictator, some claim she saved our nation (what a load of croc) and that her foreign policy was wonderful, yeah she did the right think with the falklands but even that is a point of view labour would have done no different.
If Scotland vote's indepance which I also believe it will then you still have to eject that inbred snotty nosed Rabble and they will not be as easy to remove.
The woman is dead and we should never speak bad of the dead but it is the truth and we especially here in liverpool will never forgive her, remember how she set up our fan's when it was itallian's whom were firing a starter pistol at english fans, at woman and children at the heysal stadium and she took the opportunity to blacken our fan's and blame them so that she could bring in more crowd measures.
I believe in my heart that is one person whom is definitely no in heaven.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:37 AM
Voting is immoral... But no wait you're right... Labour will save us this time! Yeah most definitely...

Sigh... You make me lose hope in humanity... Go you...
edit on 25-5-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:43 AM
Britain is no longer British but it has nothing to do with the EU.

While other countries held on to their national identities, we've spent the last sixty years trying to be the USA.

In the sixties pretty much every town celebrated the beginning of Lent, either with a pageant or fun pancake style events. Now, its a small section in the supermarket while spend hundreds of millions on valentines. In the seventies, every kid asked for a penny for the guy and nobody did Halloween. Now, kids don't even know what a guy is. When the National Curriculum was introduced in 1988, texts from the US were considered as writing from another culture, complete with lessons on the differences between US and UK English. Now, kids are more likely to use Americanisms than standard English.

Our cinema and TV has been crushed by US media conglomerates. Those of you old enough to remember channel 4 in the 80s will know we did edgy and deep before HBO was even conceived. Now its cheap US imports and cheaper reality TV. Our popular music is wannabe American pap, complete with the silly nasal accent.

For all our talk of being a Christian country, our shops are packed with Brits on Sundays while our churches are full of Poles, Africans and South Americans. We spend hundreds of millions of pounds on wrapping paper at Christmas but don't observe Easter beyond a few chocolate eggs.

Yes, we are feeling the squeeze on public resources. We have a government that has said from day one, quite plainly, that it will dismantle the public sector. So, when Michael Gove uses £800 million from the education budget to subsidise his half baked Free Schools project, at the cost of 30,000 school places, we should not be surprised. When, like round here, three Free Schools don't open in time, leaving hundreds of kids without a place, we should not be surprised.

When Ian Duncan Smith caps housing benefit, distorting the social housing market and throwing hundreds of thousands of people onto waiting lists for council housing stock which has been shrinking since the early 1980s, we should not be surprised.

When government cuts employment rights so employers get staff for free as part of social security reforms, when employers use zero hours contracts because they can pick and choose from a recruitment base of two million unemployed, we should not be surprised.

What is surprising is when UKIP and others link this with immigration. Do they honestly think that the government would squeeze less, that our kids will become more British, that business would become more equitable, if we left the EU and lost the social protections it gives us?

None of the political parties have been honest with us about the EU, either about how it works or the effect it has on us. They all pretend their most unpopular policies have somehow been foisted on us by Europe but, as the Germans showed when they clamped down on benefits for EU migrants, we are still in charge of our own nations.

Voting for UKIP, railing against immigrants, just makes it easier for those in power to squeeze our nuts a little more. They need useful idiots to give them a mandate but, as we used to say back in the eighties, its just a different finger on the trigger.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:15 PM

originally posted by: MrConspiracy
2) I didn't have time
3) I didn't care

If you don't care then don't complain.

I have a real problem with people who whine on, yet take no time to vote. If you don't vote, then don't complain that you don't get what you want.

edit on 29/5/2014 by paraphi because: typo

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:56 PM

originally posted by: paraphi

2) I didn't have time
3) I didn't care

If you don't care then don't complain.

I have a real problem with people who whine on, yet take no time to vote. If you don't vote, then don't complain that you don't get what you want.

Oh no, I'll complain. I'm complaining that there was NOTHING to vote for, so yes - I'm still well within my right to complain. They were the reason I didn't vote. Why would I vote if there's nothing to vote for?

Don't get upset that people whine. Because our whining is based on the fact there is NOTHING to vote for.

"don't get what you want" what I want was never on offer - So I didn't make my way to the table.

Heard your argument a million times. It still makes about 5% sense.
edit on 30-5-2014 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:31 PM

Oh no, I'll complain. I'm complaining that there was NOTHING to vote for, so yes - I'm still well within my right to complain. They were the reason I didn't vote. Why would I vote if there's nothing to vote for?

There's always something to vote for. The political parties cannot represent every hue and accommodate every peculiarity, so you need to try the best fit. Unless your requirements are so unrealisable, then you should be able to find a best fit, so to speak.

Anyway, complain away, but not about the result as you played no part in it. People always find an excuse for inaction. Mostly, people are not that bothered, but can be motivated when things are not working as has oft been demonstrated.

Er, that's all. I don't want to be caught out by complaining about your complaining about my complaining ad nauseam.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:41 PM
a reply to: paraphi

Hahahaha i'll try not complain about your complaining about my complaining.

And I get what you're saying. But I never complained about the results. I complained about the state of the country. None of them will make a difference, therefore I'll complain about their incompetence rather than just who gets the votes.

<< 1   >>