It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus Christ: The Loving God of the Old AND New Testament

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Famouszor

Not to disrespect, but to inform you.... Jesus is not a "GOD", never was, never will be. Jesus is the son of "GOD". The bible tells you that.
A Son of God would by definition be a god.
It comes from the old view that there were many gods who had a sort of guild, and one who was the senior god would be called "Father" and the rest of the gods were called the Sons of God.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: godlover25

People who claim to follow Jesus but have a view of him that is heretical are detrimental to Christendom and the reason why so many people view Christianity in a negative light.
People who sit around worrying about other people who they consider as heretics is what gives Christianity a bad name.
Case in point, watch the two part (last night and tonight) miniseries on CW, Labyrinth, about how the Catholics exterminated the Cathars.

Spoiler Alert: about a minute later, all these people (except for the ones with crossbows) are dead, mercilessly slaughtered for being Cathars.
edit on 23-5-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: jmdewey60

People like you and I, when we don't love our brothers as ourselves, are the problem...

Let's be honest here,

I am a sinful hypocrite, and I apologize to you all, I have no right to tell any of you what's right or wrong, seeing as I am so sinful myself.

Pray for me a sinner

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

That I can respect... Honesty

Well said...

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

I am a sinful hypocrite, and I apologize to you all, I have no right to tell any of you what's right or wrong, seeing as I am so sinful myself.
Everyone alive is a sinner, so that shouldn't stop you from anything.
We should speak our minds, that is a sort of right, but I dropped the use of the word "heretic" to describe Christians who don't seem orthodox because I found out that the current usage of the original word came about in the Fourth Century by the notorious "heretic hunter", Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, the same person who hounded the Christian Presbyter, Arius, to his death.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: godlover25
Heresy is any provocative belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs or customs.

well then, you are the heretic ... because most of us Christians understand that the Old Testament stories are folklore and myth ... and that the 'prophets' did some very, very bad things all in the name of God. As the information in this thread proves.

So if the determining factor of who is a heretic and who isn't is determined by the sheer numbers of people and what they believe ... then you are the one on the outs and you are the heretic. Have fun with that thought.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

"most of us Christians"....

are you aware of how Christendom is divided?

There are 1.5 - 1.7 BILLION Catholic Christians on this Earth who would agree with my view on this, and another ~700 Million Protestant Christians who would agree....

there's a small sliver of less than 10 million (and I'm being very generous with that number, it's probably much less) who would agree with what you are proposing, which is an ancient heresy known as Marcionism...
edit on 5/23/2014 by godlover25 because: (no reason given)

final edit - maybe here on ATS where bizarre and uncommon belief is the norm and majority, it may seem a lot of people agree with you and digress from the truly Orthodox Theology of Christianity, but in the real world that we live in, the numbers are on the Orthodox side, by a gigantic margin...

You are sadly mistaken in your delusions my friend,

Forgive me and pray for me, the sinner
edit on 5/23/2014 by godlover25 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Is there any chance that you know we have NOTHING from marcion?

Not a shred of writing because everything from him was destroyed?

The only thing we have from him are reconstructions from what would be considered "hostile witnesses"...

Doesn't that strike you as a little odd?

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

People like you and I, when we don't love our brothers as ourselves, are the problem...

Now you speak like Jesus. I wish you a lovely day and good luck on your path to home.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

We know what he believed, it makes no sense and is incorrect theology, enough said.

Really no reason to want to read his writings unless you don't want to accept the Truth for whatever reason

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

Jesus is not just a loving God, Jesus IS Love...

anybody speaking or acting lovingly is speaking or acting as Jesus.

God bless you

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
that's right just dismiss what im telling you...

We DON'T know what he said, we know what his opponents said about him...

Antithesis

Try not to be the A typical Christian and open your eyes... there were people with agendas in the early centuries of Christianity... those who would not conform were disposed of, and we know this for a fact

edit on 23-5-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Exactly.
By sheer coincidence (because it was written weeks ago and pencilled in for this time) I've got a thread coming up showing from the words ofJesus that his God and the God of the Old Testament are one and the same.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Funny that Jesus said

6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea

What would he think of a people who would murder and destroy children?

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
As I pointed out in my series on the Law (q.v.), Jesus made a distinction between the Law which came from God and that part of the Law which came from men ("your hardness of heart").
Perhaps he would have made the same distinction in other aspects of the Old Testament.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Of course we can speculate on what he might have said, or just go with what we know he said...

The OT says "the lord" tells his people to go into certain cities and destroy everything...

Men, women, and children... including unborn babies in some cases...

But ya... Same God right?

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I refer you to my upcoming thread, where I will be demonstrating how Jesus himself treats them as one and the same God.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Im pretty sure this is that thread... and its been debunked

the fact is there is no way to reconcile Jesus with the OT god, unless you're willing to admit Jesus was a tyrant and suddenly had a change of heart

edit on 23-5-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
No, this is a wider-ranging thread than the one held in my Drafts folder, which meets a very specific purpose.
Whether this one has been debunked is open to debate, but the debunking of my own thread will have to be done in situ.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Men, women, and children... including unborn babies in some cases...
I think this was a effort to make a history that covers up the fact that the Judean people were actually genetically Canaanites.
Even Abraham, he was basically a Babylonian.
He travels around Canaan but stays aloof from the population and has his descendants marry relatives, cousins (he himself marries his sister, think, Targarians from Game of Thrones).
When this was being written out, the Jews were coming from Babylon and the first order of business was to tell everyone in Judea that they were not "real" Jews, and only they (the Babylonian Jews) were authentic.
So they were basically relegating the indigenous population to the level of Canaanites.
They promote the general concept by inventing a history that makes Canaanites so many animals ripe for the slaughter.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join