It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP lawmaker defends duct tape pipeline ‘fix’ in wildlife refuge: That’s ‘what America is’

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

you, sir....you win.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
America: Falling apart and barely held together with duct tape...

And the duct tapes made in china.....

Sorry couldnt resist.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Nowadays, It seems that GOP lawmakers are always trying to defend the indefensible, it's just what they do. Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.

I just wonder how long the pipeline company planned to leave the plastic and duct tape in place before actually shutting down the flow of oil long enough to make a proper repair with something more durable, like Bondo or bubblegum.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Must not be much of a pipeline. Any decent level of pressure and heat would have destroyed that patch.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
everyone knows that the proper repair would have been baling wire and a 5 gallon bucket.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I could see this as a quick fix to a leak until proper repairs could be made, but for a year? Unacceptable! And these are the same people that want the keystone pipeline that would transport one of the most corrosive substances around. Republicans and the oil industry can't be trusted and this is just another story that proves it.

RIIIIGHT. Because evil profit lusting corporations want to throw their profits on the ground by letting their valuable commodity that gets them said profit leak all over the dirt.

Jesus, think about it for a second. Put aside blind ideology and think about it for a second. Oil companies don't want leaks and don't want shoddy workmanship because that hurts their bottom line. They want to get their goods to market, not spill it.

A guy cut corners and should be sacked and perhaps even charged for it, but it's not a big conspiracy.
edit on 23-5-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
double tap

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

That is true but you are missing one key detail. Cost of repairs vs lost profit. How much will it cost to fix the leak and will it be more than the amount of profit lost from the leak? Would it be more profitable to cover it up and handle all legal cases on a case by case basis? These are real decisions that businesses also make. Perhaps you are familiar with this controversy? So don't think that just because corners were cut and a mistake was made that the business has an interest in fixing it.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Hell, I used a tin can and baling wire to hold my muffler together and the guy at the service station told me "it wasn't legal".
You can risk the health of thousands with duct tape and garbage bags but don't you dare do something that affects nobody's safety.

I say we duct tape the congressman's doors and windows and see how long it takes him to get out.
edit on 23-5-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

That is true but you are missing one key detail. Cost of repairs vs lost profit. How much will it cost to fix the leak and will it be more than the amount of profit lost from the leak? Would it be more profitable to cover it up and handle all legal cases on a case by case basis? These are real decisions that businesses also make. Perhaps you are familiar with this controversy? So don't think that just because corners were cut and a mistake was made that the business has an interest in fixing it.

Conversely you cannot assume that they don't--especially given the fact that they could lose the entire pipeline with the passage of the right environmental law, and they know they are under a heck of a lot of scrutiny from government and activists who make it their life's work to do away with oil,so it is in their best interest and long term profit margins to keep the environment clean as possible.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

Conversely you cannot assume that they don't--especially given the fact that they could lose the entire pipeline with the passage of the right environmental law, and they know they are under a heck of a lot of scrutiny from government and activists who make it their life's work to do away with oil,so it is in their best interest and long term profit margins to keep the environment clean as possible.

It certainly is in their best interests to do that, but as we both know shady people exist and will try to get away with anything.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

It certainly is in their best interests to do that, but as we both know shady people exist and will try to get away with anything.

True--on both sides of the issue as well. Environmentalists have not been unknown to sabotage pipelines either. The photo the activist claimed was a poorly patched leak in his "gotcha" moment with the Congressman could have been purely fabricated. Is there any independent verification that the pipe was indeed patched at that location in that manner and neglected for a year or is all we have an activist's word? All the new articles seem to be lefty blogs quoting each other from Raw (a VERY leftist blog).

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Well doesn't the oil company do safety checks? Couldn't a recent sabotage attempting to be played off as something gone unnoticed for a year be easily debunked by producing the preventive maintenance checks for that section of pipeline? I'm not trying to suggest foul play couldn't also be part of the environmentalists' game either, just that things like preventive maintenance checks would go a long way to stopping fraud such as that. If the oil company wasn't doing the checks, then that is on them (for one I'm pretty sure the EPA requires regular preventive maintenance checks) for not having the evidence on hand to dispute the claims of shoddy repairs.
edit on 23-5-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: lemmin
Can someone explain to me why oil companies don't spend money on preventative measures (e.i. proper equipment)?

Wouldn't it be cost effective to prevent all of that loss of product, as well as avoiding legal fees?

Example
< br />
I can answer this one. I used to work in the finance department of a large pipeline company (won't say which one).

Pipeline rates are regulated - meaning they are approved by the Federal Government. Just the way the system is set-up, it's very difficult to make large unplanned repairs.

There's something even more important than the profit from the pipeline - it's the oil that flows on the pipeline. Halting oil flow for repairs is halting profits on the oil.

But from experience working at a large oil company, I can tell you what was likely the primary motivating factor - it was the focus on SHORT-TERM profits.

Let's say there's a 50/50 chance not making a million repair will cause an oil leak with a cost of 50 million. It would make sense to fix the leak but from the individual employees' perspective it makes sense not to fix the leak. If they fess up and say it will be a million to repair the pipe - there is a 100% chance this will have a negative effect on their job. If they don't fix the repair, there's only a 50% chance of something happening.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The GOP keep revealing themselves as a party not destined to win much..lol what a bunch of dinosaurs..sorry to insult the intelligence of walnut sized brained reptiles. Not sure if its either sheer stupid or protecting interests..a bit of both i suspect.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join