It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP lawmaker defends duct tape pipeline ‘fix’ in wildlife refuge: That’s ‘what America is’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Really? Are you that much of an idiot?

Source

So this moron is defending the use of DUCT TAPE and GARBAGE BAGS as a good means to repair a leaky oil pipeline.

Louisiana Rep. Vance McAllister (R) accused Matson of throwing a “fit” just because “some guy took initiative.”

“You took a picture of someone who was innovative, and rather than leaving the fluid to drip on the ground, repaired it with duct tape and a garbage bag, and yet you seem to be very upset about that,” McAllister said. “We’re damned if we do and damned if we don’t.”

“We take a garbage bag and fix it and keep it from leaking and yet you’re still not happy, and come to Washington and testify before Congress and want to throw fits because some guy took initiative.”

Matson pointed out that he had photos that showed a garbage bag repair from a year earlier, and no one had ever come back to complete the repair.

“Anybody can come there, a storm can come, it can puncture the garbage bag, and there’s a spill,” Matson explained. “Done.”

“Could have, should have, would have. It didn’t,” McAllister shrugged. “I understand you’re wanting to protect wildlife, and look, I love the great outdoors, and I live in Louisiana, a sportsman’s paradise, and I love it too. But I’m not for giving ducks and deer weapons to shoot back at me.”

Not only that, but this guy also basically calls these people un-american for questioning the practice.

“And that’s what you want to turn your testimony into is some pictures portraying the innovation of what America is.”

Yes, the end result is that you can pat yourself on the back because it's American Ingenuity at work, using duct tape!

Wow.

I'm stunned.

~Tenth

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Check his wallet bet there are some "BILLS" in there that are very oily...

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: abeverage

Considering he's from Louisiana?

Louisiana is considered one of the MOST corrupt states.

I would not put it past them.

~Tenth

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

No--the guy took a picture of some idiot who thought that duct tape and a garbage bag was the solution--for a year
I can speak from first hand experience that that stuff will dry rot in a matter of months, especially in the south

How in the world these half-wits get elected into Congress is beyond me
What a moron

That's 'What America Is'.....what is that supposed to mean?
That America is put together half-azzed???

edit on 22-5-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
America: Falling apart and barely held together with duct tape...

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I could see this as a quick fix to a leak until proper repairs could be made, but for a year? Unacceptable! And these are the same people that want the keystone pipeline that would transport one of the most corrosive substances around. Republicans and the oil industry can't be trusted and this is just another story that proves it.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

If you look at education rankings in red states you would understand completely why they elect who they do.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Rotfl!!

Hey, if you can't fix it with duct tape, or WD-40 it's not worth fixing.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

No--the guy too a picture of some idiot who thought that duct tape and a garbage bag was the solution
I can speak from first hand experience that that stuff will dry rot in a matter of months, especially in the south

What a moron

That we're put together half-azzed???

He means he thought it was a great piece of innovation

Like you I don't think the patch would last long, because of humidity and that duct tape adhesive will react to oil. I seen guys using that stuff in motor engine fuel and water leaks, it doesn't last a crack, and is only a very temporary fix.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: terriblyvexed

Damn right! Redneck's creed: "If it's moving and it shouldn't, duct it. If it's not moving and it should, WD-40 it" Isn't that how everything is fixed?

Wait. Hold on, my hard drive isn't spinning fast enough, be right back to grab some WD-40.
edit on 22-5-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: terriblyvexed

Rotfl!!

Hey, if you can't fix it with duct tape, or WD-40 it's not worth fixing.

Don't forget cable ties & baling wire!!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Don't get too excited about what this politician is saying. I'm quite sure he doesn't believe it himself. It's theater. Really boring, evil theater.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: snarky412

No--the guy too a picture of some idiot who thought that duct tape and a garbage bag was the solution

What a moron

That we're put together half-azzed???

He means he thought it was a great piece of innovation

Like you I don't think the patch would last long, because of humidity and that duct tape adhesive will react to oil. I seen guys using that stuff in motor engine fuel and water leaks, it doesn't last a crack, and is only a very temporary fix.

I know it won't last long....maybe 3 or 4 months tops with the hot sun on it, it quickly dry rots, much less hold liquid

Needless to say, the innovation is good for a few days in a situation like that, not a year!! LOL
Wonder how long it would have been left like if not for the photographer??

edit on 22-5-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

It goes on for a year with duct tape?
What could possibly go wrong?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
a reply to: snarky412

If you look at education rankings in red states you would understand completely why they elect who they do.

Would that be why Missouri elected a corpse and then allowed his ill-equipped wife to take the helm?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The majority of the people haven't noticed that politicians are usually not the smartest of people.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Yes, the end result is that you can pat yourself on the back because it's American Ingenuity at work, using duct tape! - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

What the hell is wrong with someone stopping a leak with a temporary solution of duct tape. Maybe that's all they had? If the leak wasn't fixed permanently quickly after that....that is the problem. They gave a savvy politician a way to turn the argument around. Was this guy a lawyer by any chance...?

I will tell you how these morons get elected, they have the right party affiliation. No one with any sense wants to run for Congress, your left with the power grabbing douche bags and since he is a Republican, no doubt a self-important wealthy douche bag. The only real solution is term limits. One term and your gone. It should be like the National Guard, your job is there when you come back.

Senate would be harder, but they are supposed to be the land holding gentry right? That was sort of the plan. House is common folk and the Senate is the supposed long view wealthy guys... your Jefferson type. Altruism is sort of dead. Maybe the solution for the Senate is - You can be elected to the Senate, but you are given a disease that will kill you in 12 years. So make em' good ones!

Just a thought.

V

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me why oil companies don't spend money on preventative measures (e.i. proper equipment)?

Wouldn't it be cost effective to prevent all of that loss of product, as well as avoiding legal fees?

Example

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

it's interesting to note that the liberal use of duct tape and bags was critical to the safe return to earth of the crew of Apollo 13...if it's good enough for spacemen, i'd say it's good enough for a temp repair here on earth....

now, if nobody goes back to fix it properly...well, that's just f**ked up..

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Variable

They 'fixed' it with the duct tape and the garbage bags and a full YEAR later, nobody had gone to the site to implement a proper fix.

That's idiotic, irresponsible among a flurry of other things.

~Tenth

new topics

<<   2 >>

join