It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Excellent business and PR move by Tesco for crap parent customers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
www.tescoplc.com...

Tesco has today announced, following new customer research, that it will become the first retailer in the UK to remove sweets and chocolates from checkouts across the full range of store formats.

The research found nearly two-thirds (65%) of customers said removing confectionery from checkouts would help them make healthier choices when shopping.

67% of parents told Tesco that having no confectionery near the checkout would help them make healthier choices for their children.

It's in all the MSM news outlets so take your pick for spin on the story, but I've linked and quoted the press release by the company to let y'all form your opinions.

Me? I think the biggest supermarket chain in the UK has made a shrewd PR move being the first to 'react' to customer wishes.
They don't really want to sell any less of their legal products, it is a business after all, but by pandering to the demands of crap/ineffective parents they appear holy and caring for that large percentage of society hypnotised by media and advertising.
Another sharp move is that with the huge numbers of obesity in children caused by weak parenting, if it 'gets worse' then they can disassociate themselves quickly from claims of encouraging the problem as fat/sugar pushers or whatever.

I say again, lazy/crap/weak/ineffective parenting is the reason for fat kids.
If you can't be strong enough to say no to your child then you shouldn't be a parent.
I am a parent of a late teen fit healthy rugby playing, student and part time employed qualified pool-lifeguard son...I said no to crappy sweets and stuff at the checkout and in my cupboards - fat kids are the parents fault, not the retailer.

Well, those are my thoughts, feel free to share your breaking hearts for the poor brainwashed unthinking consumer zombies of the world.
I have no love for big corporations but the weakness of our shallow consumer minded society is pretty shameful that parents can't just say no anymore...pathetic.

edit on 22-5-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
How much candy makes someone a "crap parent" in your estimation? One piece more than you, the enlightened master parent, would give your child? One more piece more than your perfect parents gave you?

Plenty of other places for "crap parents" to buy treats for special occasions.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

This is just a big corporate store taking credit for a change which should be the responsibility of the parents. Tesco and other supermarkets are opportunists primarily out to make profit, but they like to get innocent stupids to believe they care about more than money.

Utter hypocracy imo seeing as the same stores will probably continue to sell king size rizlas which are only ever used by drug smokers.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I suppose it is subjective who would be the "crap parent"; someone who buys their kid some candy at the checkout line or someone who teaches their children to judge others over trivial matters.

Opinions abound no doubt.

edit on 22-5-2014 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
One more piece more than your perfect parents gave you?

Lol, I ran away aged 16 and spent nearly 6 months homeless, so no perfect parenting going on in my childhood. An example of 'breaking the chain' perhaps.
It's obviously a piece of candy too much when a child becomes noticeably fat.

*Edit*
...and I'm loving all the stars you're getting for that reply lol, I'm betting from parents of fat kids who can't understand why buying their kids excessive amounts of crap stuff to eat makes them fat, tragic.
edit on 22-5-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
You said

originally posted by: grainofsand
they appear holy and caring for that large percentage of society hypnotised by media and advertising.

And then you say

If your saying that society has been hypnotized (and I agree), then its extremely unfair to blame the parents!!!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot
Agreed.
I struggle to imagine who these parents are who begged the store to move the sweets because they struggle so much saying no to their kids. Brainwashed.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

I'd rather a healthy body and questioning mind for my child, and when it was under my control, my child did not have more calories than he needed. It's quite simple, and more importantly, it's a parents job.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

It's obviously a piece of candy too much when a child becomes noticeably fat.

Children are given many medications that cause obesity. Most of the drinks they consume cause obesity, and worrying about people who point the finger causes them to comfort themselves with food, or to seek medication.
Are you one of those that point the finger?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk
Yep, I was referring to the 'image ' of this move by the store to move products.
Even Tesco doesn't believe customers are hypnotised enough to want fat kids. It is why they have disassociated themselves from such product placement.

Who are these weak parents who struggle to say no (control their kid/s) at the checkout, so much so that they petitioned a store like they were drug dealers? Funny if it wasn't so true.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Yeah, every packed lunch I made, and walked, my lad to school with, had an appropriately sized healthy sandwich, piece of fruit, and a bottle of water. Wasn't difficult to do that, and your 'medication caused obesity' thing is in the tiny percentages as you probably well know already

...oh and I'm pointing the finger at parents, not the kids, please let's not try to put an off-slant spin to this now.
Tut tut.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I'd rather a healthy body and questioning mind for my child, and when it was under my control, my child did not have more calories than he needed. It's quite simple, and more importantly, it's a parents job.

I consider teaching my child what to eat part of my job. This is only a piece of the overall lesson however; teaching my child that balance is important... being mindful of a healthy body, work ethic and self discipline held in compliment with an enjoyment of life. I also consider teaching my child not to judge others over a trifling circumstance (in a checkout line for example) important as well. I will teach her that holding up her children as shining examples of what a "great parent" and overall better person she is wrong. It puts unnecessary pressure on her children for her benefit, which is selfish, sneaky-passive-aggressive and frankly kind of sick.

As an aside, I wonder if these threads where people pounce on some ancillary piece of media and twist it in a way to trumpet What A Great Parent They Are is a growing trend. There seem to be a lot of them of late. Weird...

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

...oh and I'm pointing the finger at parents, not the kids, please let's not try to put an off-slant spin to this now.
Tut tut.

Like so many, you want to make the child obesity problem the fault of the parents.
Shame on you!!!

If you want to point to things that are wrong in our societies then lets start with.....people who attack parents of obese children.

What makes YOU so qualified to be judge jury and executioner ?

You should go look in a mirror, you might be surprised by what you find!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Ah, sorry, you drifted a little too off topic for me to be interested anymore...and you didn't even try any counter argument to my assertion that fat kids are the fault of the parents, do you disagree with that?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
You should go look in a mirror, you might be surprised by what you find!

My actual full-on favourite when I look into a mirror is when my son's face is next to mine.
I could have made it a fat face next to me if I'd given him more energy than he needed when growing up though, it is the parents who provide and control the resources.

...perhaps get back on topic ditching some of the emotional stuff and we could have a discussion.
edit on 22-5-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

As an aside, I wonder if these threads where people pounce on some ancillary piece of media and twist it in a way to trumpet What A Great Parent They Are is a growing trend. There seem to be a lot of them of late. Weird...

Not weird, I think we both know the reason. Fine post, you hit the nail on the head

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Cool, whatever, take your bleating unhappy lambs off the hillside to a new thread you are more than free to create for yourself.
Please keep on topic and present arguments to counter mine, that is how this debating platform works.

edit on 22-5-2014 by grainofsand because: Changed 'on a hillside' to 'off the hillside'

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Cool, whatever, take your bleating unhappy lambs off the hillside to a new thread you are more than free to create for yourself.
Please keep on topic and present arguments to counter mine, that is how this debating platform works.

And your argument is

and that whats being discussed!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Nope, discussing perceived trend/increases in 'I'm a good parent' threads is off topic.
I formally request that you stop now, or start your own topic about such things where I may (or may not) choose to contribute my thoughts.

*Edit*
I'm crashing now and may not be back for a day or two, but if anyone wants to discuss the apparent tactical move of the company, or weak parents who struggled because of product placement at the checkout and begged the corporate monster to save them, please do share your on-topic thoughts.

edit on 22-5-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Ah, sorry, you drifted a little too off topic for me to be interested anymore...

Which is a predictable and typical reaction when people are hearing something they do not want to. Personally, I'm a little bored with the "I'm bored" excuse but ok... Taking you at face value, the pretzel logic you are using here clearly has an emotionally based impetus that is very personal to you and in fact is part of your "argument". It is ridiculous to make some outrageous claim painting an ill-defined host of people with a black brush and hold not only yourself and your son up as examples counter to it and then boo-hoo when people point out that you are not perfect.

originally posted by: grainofsand...and you didn't even try any counter argument to my assertion that fat kids are the fault of the parents, do you disagree with that?

Hmmm... False dilemma. One more to add to the laundry list of logical fallacies but I will answer as best I can.

There is not an either/or answer. There are circumstances where the parents are partly to blame, but the extent of that blame is difficult to qualify in any situation. Subjective and circumstantial. I certainly think that questioning whether people with overweight or even obese children at all is completely out of line. The broader problem often has more to do with socio-economic factors. Crap food is cheaper, and both parents (or a single parent) busting their humps to try to keep their kids fed and sheltered may not have a lot of emotional resources left over to put up a fight every time in the checkout aisle. I do wish that our society was more focused on physical activity. Sure there is plenty of finger-shaking talk but most working class adults don't have the time to set that example, and in many schools the emphasis on physical activity has fallen in the dust. If we would encourage and allow adults that time and the extra energy to devote to it, and made P.E. a priority again I think a lot of the "obesity epidemic" would disappear. The candy treat there is often a proverbial drop in the bucket in the end anyway. It just doesn't make any sense that you are obsessing about that one circumstance to prove that obesity is the parents fault. While I think that personal accountability is important, there are just too many contributing factors to say Yes it is the parents fault or No it is not.

Yes, yes. I just KNOW that you are going to tell me how poor and hard working that you are and that By Gawd you did it so everyone else should too. However, it is absurd to assess an entire circumstance and judge a population based upon a few anomalous outliers. Good for you, your kid isn't fat but if that is your proof that you are a good enough parent to make vitriolic ( and hopefully hyperbolic) statements saying so many others are unfit to be parents then to be perfectly honest I can't help but wonder what other issues your fit son has that you are missing. What I mean by that is that this seems incredibly cursory criteria to define success by and even further, using that narrowly and shallowly defined success to grate others across the coals is pretty darn... Well... Crappy really.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join